Straightforward Explanation of Sweepstakes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenhornBunnyGirl

https://www.change.org/GrandRapidsRabbits
Reaction score
I frequently see "sweepstakes" mentioned on the ARBA website...and they make no sense. It doesn't seem to be a rabbit giveaway raffle, which is what I thought it was the first time I read the term.

Based on this document I found on the American Tan Rabbit Specialty Club's site, it involves tallying points...but I haven't managed to find anything that explains how the points are earned or the rules.

Is this like...fantasy football? But for rabbits??? 🏈🐇🤨

Can someone explain what sweepstakes are, how people earn points, and what the point of them is?

I've only shown rabbits a few times, so I'm no expert, but here's a rough outline of sweepstakes points. Generally, they are offered by the state rabbit clubs or national specialty clubs for their members (you have to be a member to get points). An example would be from the Satin breeder's website at Sweepstakes | American Satin Rabbit Breeders Association Members of the club can show their rabbits at ARBA sanctioned shows. They accrue points each time their rabbits place well. The more they show (and do well), the more sweepstakes points they tally up. The more rabbits in a class, the more points the win (or high placement) is worth. The higher the win (Best of Breed or Best in Show vs. just the best in a class) the more points the win is worth.

The person with the most points at the end of the year (for the Satin club it is a beginning-of-July to end-of-next-June year, each club chooses when its Sweepstakes year will start) wins a trophy/plaque and/or recognition by the club for their achievement.

I didn't see a listing for how the sweepstakes points were calculated on several of the breed association websites, so I understand the confusion. There's a little more information at ARBA & Sweepstakes Points - Three Little Ladies Rabbitry
If you are showing Tans, then I would suggest you contact the Tan club, and ask what their Sweepstakes rules are.

I've only shown rabbits a few times, so I'm no expert, but here's a rough outline of sweepstakes points. Generally, they are offered by the state rabbit clubs or national specialty clubs for their members (you have to be a member to get points). An example would be from the Satin breeder's website at Sweepstakes | American Satin Rabbit Breeders Association Members of the club can show their rabbits at ARBA sanctioned shows. They accrue points each time their rabbits place well. The more they show (and do well), the more sweepstakes points they tally up. The more rabbits in a class, the more points the win (or high placement) is worth. The higher the win (Best of Breed or Best in Show vs. just the best in a class) the more points the win is worth.

The person with the most points at the end of the year (for the Satin club it is a beginning-of-July to end-of-next-June year, each club chooses when its Sweepstakes year will start) wins a trophy/plaque and/or recognition by the club for their achievement.

I didn't see a listing for how the sweepstakes points were calculated on several of the breed association websites, so I understand the confusion. There's a little more information at ARBA & Sweepstakes Points - Three Little Ladies Rabbitry
If you are showing Tans, then I would suggest you contact the Tan club, and ask what their Sweepstakes rules are.
That's pretty much it. The only addition I have is that to accrue points for a breed sweepstakes, the show has to be sanctioned by the national breed club as well.

A description of how sweepstakes points are often accrued is in Section 2 on the ARBA Show Rules page Official ARBA Show Rules

That's pretty much it. The only addition I have is that to accrue points for a breed sweepstakes, the show has to be sanctioned by the national breed club as well.

A description of how sweepstakes points are often accrued is in Section 2 on the ARBA Show Rules page Official ARBA Show Rules

I see! Thanks you two, that really made it all make a lot more sense, and it sounds like lots of fun!

Latest posts

Back