Standard Rex Buck Dewlap

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a random question, can a standard rex buck have a small dewlap and be able to be shown? I've scoured the SOP and it doesn't say on the rex page if its allowed, a fault, or a DQ. When I look in the glossary at dewlap it just says what it is and that some breeds it can be a disqualifications. Someone just asked aboit the dewlap on a different site and then someone said it's a DQ in all buck rabbits. I can't find the page in the sop that states that.

I did find this, though it is from 2022 (I could've sworn I had a more recent one about Dewlaps)
View attachment 38848
Thanks! I was really unsure when the one person posed the question, but more confused by the other person's response about it being no question all about it being DQ for all rabbits. This does help clarify to an extent, definitely makes more sense that it does depend on the breed.

Just a random question, can a standard rex buck have a small dewlap and be able to be shown? I've scoured the SOP and it doesn't say on the rex page if its allowed, a fault, or a DQ. When I look in the glossary at dewlap it just says what it is and that some breeds it can be a disqualifications. Someone just asked aboit the dewlap on a different site and then someone said it's a DQ in all buck rabbits. I can't find the page in the sop that states that.
The ARBA SOP, under General DQs, indicates that dewlaps "disqualify when noted in the breed standard."

The Rex standard doesn't say anything at all about dewlaps in either sex, other than that smut on the dewlap is not a DQ in the californian variety of Rex.

Rex does can have pretty sizeable dewlaps and I've seen bucks with them as well. The only time it might be a problem is if it is so large that it detracts very significantly from the balance and uniformity desired in the rabbit.

The ARBA SOP, under General DQs, indicates that dewlaps "disqualify when noted in the breed standard."

The Rex standard doesn't say anything at all about dewlaps in either sex, other than that smut on the dewlap is not a DQ in the californian variety of Rex.

Rex does can have pretty sizeable dewlaps and I've seen bucks with them as well. The only time it might be a problem is if it is so large that it detracts very significantly from the balance and uniformity desired in the rabbit.
Thanks! That was the impression I got from going through the SOP, usually there would be some clear answer if anything was a DQ for specific breeds, or even mention if it was a fault. But I didn't want to argue against the other person if I was missing anything. The OG person with the question was wanting to know because she has a show coming up and it was her first time and she didn't want to take the buck if it was an immediate dq. But I may pm her and let her know what info I got here, it would be a shame someone chance of going to a show was ruined over someone giving her wrong info.

Latest posts

Back