So, exactly what does a cull buyer do with all the culls?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I am wrong, but don't some of them collect many, many animals at a time? It just seems like they would end up with tons of rabbits. I have heard of hundreds going to the cull buyer. ...and I have no problem with this. I am just curious.

Maybe I am wrong, but don't some of them collect many, many animals at a time? It just seems like they would end up with tons of rabbits. I have heard of hundreds going to the cull buyer. ...and I have no problem with this. I am just curious.
Possibly snake food as well. I know that you can wholesale out feeder animals to stores.

Here people buy culls for their dog food and pets. I prefer to make my own dog food. Sometimes I cook a turkey, or chicken, or bison, deer, elk.. rabbit is a good alternative. Also, a lot of people do not live near "big stores" , then the rising cost of most things....

That's an interesting question.... if they bought 100's I would say dual purpose - white pelts are often in high demand due to their ability to be dyed. Also, they could sell the hides elsewhere. I recently saw an ad on craigslist towards Eastern MT and the guy would buy all that you have - at $5-$10.

it all depends on the cull buyer.

And the people who sell to them often want to know what the purpose is.

for instance most show breeders selling to a cull buyer want the rabbits to end up DEAD. They don't want their rabbits sold as pets or ending up as part of the breeding pool. For a whole variety of reasons.

Other people don't care and simply want the bunny removed from their possession. If you find it a home great, if you don't and it becomes food, that's fine too!

If I sell to a cull buyer it is ONLY for the purpose of having that rabbit dead, and ergo, since I've learned overall not to be too trusting of folks....(a side affect of being lied to by cull buyer). on the very odd occasion that I do sell to a cull buyer, I either bring the rabbits already deceased OR only bring rabbits that if they end up as pets or breeders won't be detrimental overall to the breeding pool.

As to what they do with them
Large cull buyers sell to raw food companies, have their own raw food company, or have a large client base with critters to feed.
Small cull buyers tend to be feeding their own pets.
The odd cull buyer (having dealt with one) are rescues.

it all depends on the cull buyer.

And the people who sell to them often want to know what the purpose is.

for instance most show breeders selling to a cull buyer want the rabbits to end up DEAD. They don't want their rabbits sold as pets or ending up as part of the breeding pool. For a whole variety of reasons.

Other people don't care and simply want the bunny removed from their possession. If you find it a home great, if you don't and it becomes food, that's fine too!

If I sell to a cull buyer it is ONLY for the purpose of having that rabbit dead, and ergo, since I've learned overall not to be too trusting of folks....(a side affect of being lied to by cull buyer). on the very odd occasion that I do sell to a cull buyer, I either bring the rabbits already deceased OR only bring rabbits that if they end up as pets or breeders won't be detrimental overall to the breeding pool.

As to what they do with them
Large cull buyers sell to raw food companies, have their own raw food company, or have a large client base with critters to feed.
Small cull buyers tend to be feeding their own pets.
The odd cull buyer (having dealt with one) are rescues.
I appreciate learning from everyone, and you are as usual, extra insightful

huh. where do you find these cull buyers? I have sold rabbits as breeders, but I have always culled my own, I did not even know cull buyers were a thing.
I usually see them on FaceBook groups, especially the meat rabbit or breeding type groups. I believe they often visit the bigger show events as a service to breeders.

I have never dealt with one, but will probably in the future.

Just remembered I've actually been at the same show as one before, they were right next to our spot (they moved out stuff overnight...)

huh. where do you find these cull buyers? I have sold rabbits as breeders, but I have always culled my own, I did not even know cull buyers were a thing.
how do I find a cull buyer? I frequent raw feeding groups, contact local raw food companies, post on kijiji, ask at feed companies, talk to people at rabbit shows etc.

Latest posts

Back