Silver Fox Angora Cross F2 picts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being black, unlesd he carries something unusual, you'll get more blacks. No good Angoras for at least two years, and kits will be normal furred for some time. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm __________ <br /><br /> Grow this one out if you can. More density is highly sought after.I'd like to know what will happen with the guard hairs.

Grow this one out if you can. More density is highly sought after.I'd like to know what will happen with the guard hairs.

Yeah, I'll grow her out. If she turns into anything interesting I'll post pics in a few more months.
Her growth was good, and so far I can tolerate her personality.
I have one more litter from the pairing that produced her. Maybe I'll see another fuzz-kit like this.
It can't be wooliness, since I never saw that trait in my SF lines(even when inbred). It might just be a collection of modifiers that would pair well with wool genes.

One more project that I have no room for... :roll:
I wasn't buying anymore of those expensive little furballs.
< expensive furballs with a strong tendency to carry disease, since they are valued to high to cull, apparently. Or at least, that is what I've seen with the angoras for sale locally.

That's what I'm afraid of.
I had the worst time with them, nothing like that in any other breed.

__________ Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am __________

Ok, so I was wrong.

I realised once I was out there, I had no camera, so I'll get picts next time.

What I was wrong about, was how much wool the F2 group would have. The force is strong with Ansel, because I kept two, both his, and I cannot tell them from the regular Angora kits.

Not only that, they are larger than other kits there own age, and...
I just got three inch wool off of the blue one. She is molting her baby coat at 11-12 weeks, like my JW would. She's gonna be a molter. The fiber is mainly wool too, instead of guard hairs, both have a good amount of wool. The black one is holding her coat, like her father.
So this was a complete success, and moved faster than I thought, probably because Ansel is such a good FA specimen. He is going to make an excellent herd sire.

Unless the FA had poor pigment to begin with, SF would add nothing to the color of the wool, it's the same as a normal FA.

The pigment lessens because the wool is long. the same amount of color has to be distributed along the hair shaft, short or long. It's like a brush stroke, the paint is darkest at the start, then fades till it reaches the point there is no more paint on the brush.

Coats before the wool grows in look inky black, but the wool never does. That's why I assumed none were woolers, the coats were too dark. Then suddenly, past schedule, the lighter wool grew in, and then passed the length of the dark guard hairs.

Those colors and texture look amazing ..... I'm drooling over those lilac & chocolates. How bout send me the pair! :twisted:

skysthelimit":ylw1eomy said:
I may do a Rex breeding to show how long it takes to get good Rex fur back on a rabbit, when I have an available open doe.

As you read in another thread , I'm already working on a similar project .... With breeding on hold for .... I dunno how long. I'm stuck in a rut and so are my rabbits!

/waiting for life to stop kicking me in the junk. :popcorn:

Don't I know that Feeling :(

I lost the choco and the lilac to whatever is going on again here :( Would be the two I wanted the most, right? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 am __________ <br /><br /> The black doe was an unwilling participant.

Attachments

• SS853884.JPG
    SS853884.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • SS853889.JPG
    SS853889.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 1,984
skysthelimit":xyifzrtx said:
Don't I know that Feeling :(

I lost the choco and the lilac to whatever is going on again here :( Would be the two I wanted the most, right?

__________ Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 am __________

The black doe was an unwilling participant.

Too bad you cant just wear a cup to protect from life's kicks. :roll:

Damn that sucks , I'd rebreed the same pair to try and get replacements ... The lilac & chocolate were beautiful. Being so light , how would their wool have come out as a finished product ?!

At least the two you have left are nice looking and gave you a surprise with wool.

Ramjet":3tkgpmcz said:
Too bad you cant just wear a cup to protect from life's kicks. :roll:

Damn that sucks , I'd rebreed the same pair to try and get replacements ... The lilac & chocolate were beautiful. Being so light , how would their wool have come out as a finished product ?!

At least the two you have left are nice looking and gave you a surprise with wool.

LOL, don't I wish. :wr_blackcloud:

This time I suspect food, as my brother saw roaches on the bags in the feed store during my last visit.

The F1 doe died a few weeks after kindling, and I culled her sister a few days after kindling, because she had no milk. All the kits had to be fostered, and once the foster doe died, I started losing kits. The black and blue ones were in with a Rex litter.

So the bad news is, I can't rebred the pair. Good news is, these two will be bred back their sire, I would not have gone back to the original dams, I would have disposed of them anyway. The chocolate is coming from the Angora buck, not the SF or crosses, so it will pop up again with subsequent pairings.

The wool will look gray and slate gray for both lilac and blue when spun. Chocolate wool looks tan/beige. The difference between them and black is very subtle.

I have an Opal doe from a trade, her wool is much like the lilac, and more than likely she will produce some fascinating colors, she's closely related to the bucks.

All we can do is keep trudging along ..... It's gotta get better eventually.

Its a shame you cant repeat that breeding .... that was a beautiful litter.

Are there any symptoms or just appear to randomly die ??

The stop eating, bloat and die.

Sometimes intervention helps and sometimes not.
You know, I almost NEVER repeat a breeding? I have quite a few rabbits, not so many FA's but with the Rex, I could breed enough combos per year without repeating. The beauty of multiple herd sires. Usually by the time all go around for a repeat, the doe has out produced herself and I cull her for space. Besides you never know what would happen in a repeat, I could get all blacks or blues.

Have no fear though, the next breeding from these does will likely give the similar results. By then it will be more than 75% of the bucks genetic material. They will be real Angoras.

Although the wool looks decent and no silvering is present, I still won't cross these does into my normal Angora herd. Well at least not for a few years.

__________ Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:30 pm __________

A mature picture of the F2 cross blue doe that survived

Not in full coat. Forgot to take those before I started clipping, but you can see the wool is spinnable.

Here is her F3 kit. Just plucked at 3 inches 13 weeks old.

In my case, there is not much difference.

I can't say any of the large rabbits here are laid back. Mostly that comes from breeding for traits other than temperament, and though I've tried, it's been hard to reverse.

She's not skiddish or downright mean like the SF, but she is definitely not a pet.

But the cross has proven to be more fertile, a better milker and better mother than any SF, and she is huge, much more efficient feed/growth ratio, like the FA's.

All the SF are gone now.

I gave up on SF and for the most part even their crosses and moved into harlequins.
They are docile, downright affectionate, and getting the pattens right should be enough challenge to keep my interest. (and my freezer full)

I keep thinking jersey woolies might be a nice second rabbit. How are yours compared to the angora?

I love my JW.

They are the sweetest loving little bunnies ever. Much easier to handle, easy going, cuddle bunnies. Mine put out a lot of babies for dwarf rabbits. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> I got a Steel !!!!!!!!!!!

Thrilled because, even though I don't want it, it's pretty.

And... three years of looking paid off.

Oh cool! What colors were the parents?? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> BTW, I picked up a couple JWs and yeah, they are very docile and easy to handle.

These two were the blue "self" doe above and a new chin buck. The chin was very properly marked, my first suspicion is the blue doe is not still silvered but an actual Steel, because she does carry e.

What color JWs did you get?

Very nice. I sold all my Otters last year to focus on the Shaded program.

I kept one white doe, who I have not been able to get her pregnant for the last two years. Finally she kindled in June, and guess what, she's an Otter!!!! I got a black and a blue Otter from her.

Latest posts

Back