Kia/Hyundai vehicle thefts--anyone else had their car stolen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
January 8th my 2018 Kia Sportage was stolen and joyridden til the teens abandoned it when it ran out of gas. Thankfully a good citizen saw the abandonment happen and called the police, so it was found within 12 hrs of being stolen. Long story short, the body was not damaged although my window and steering column was wrecked. Three Kia dealerships told me not to bring it to them, they all individually had about 100 cars with the same damage on their lots waiting for parts. Thankfully I have a good mechanic and they've managed to collect all the pieces needed from other sources, and hopefully I will get my car back this week???

Yes, I have had a steering wheel club for the car since November when the first time someone tried to steal it. However, when DH moved the car to street parking, he didn't put the club on. 😡 I'm about to have a kill switch added to the car by the mechanic. I would think that putting the club on will now be a religious experience for those in the house that drive my car once I get it back. I have State Farm and they've not given the mechanic any problems with covering what needs to be repaired, but I imagine they'll hike my insurance shortly.

It's been a long and expensive month.

Are those particularly easy to steal or something? No offence, but if I were going to steal a car, a Kia would not be my first pick... Though these are joyriding teens and not expected to be showing good decision making skills....

I exclusively buy manual transmission cars, so even if someone gets in my car, likely they can't get it to move since no one teaches how to drive a manual these days.

I sure am glad that you were able to get it repaired. Getting Kia's now is difficult. I wanted to replace one that was totaled last March. All the air bags came out. I was okay, so they work in a crash. I wanted another but they new and very few used were available. So I'm glad you were able to get the car repaired.
Did the kids get caught and the law take care of them?

I drive a kia and I'm wondering if kia is being targeted or something? Is there something I don't know?
I actually saw a news headline on this. Apparently the ones with physical keys have a trick that you can use to start them without a key. Someone found this out and made a TikTok on it so all of the TikTok kids have been trying it out apparently.

They are going to put anti-theft stuff on all of the affected ones for free apparently, so might want to check with your dealer to see if yours is eligible and when (they are doing the most likely to be stolen 1st and trying to phase them through so they don't swamp the dealers).

I sure am glad that you were able to get it repaired. Getting Kia's now is difficult. I wanted to replace one that was totaled last March. All the air bags came out. I was okay, so they work in a crash. I wanted another but they new and very few used were available. So I'm glad you were able to get the car repaired.
Did the kids get caught and the law take care of them?
The kids walked away from the car and despite finger prints all over, the police are not pursuing it. Too many are being stolen on a daily basis and those kids would end up being let go by the judge since they didn't do anything jail worth (on the scale of things worth being jailed for). The only ones being prosecuted are the ones killing others during the joyride or demolishing the car.

I actually saw a news headline on this. Apparently the ones with physical keys have a trick that you can use to start them without a key. Someone found this out and made a TikTok on it so all of the TikTok kids have been trying it out apparently.

They are going to put anti-theft stuff on all of the affected ones for free apparently, so might want to check with your dealer to see if yours is eligible and when (they are doing the most likely to be stolen 1st and trying to phase them through so they don't swamp the dealers).
Yeah, there is a software upgrade being offered for free (apparently this software is already installed in the more expensive vehicles of the line, but what the problem is that the car lack half of the security system--the immobilizer that keeps the car from starting if the key fob isn't near by. So. crack off the ignition and stick a USB on the rectangle shaped knob, and BOOM! Free ride!

Latest posts

Back