Reasonable bonding expectations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robeyw

Reaction score
I read about how much happier bonded rabbits are, but is that typical? What is reasonable to expect?

I have a spayed doe about 3 years old that had a companion 2 years ago. I got her when the companion died. I tried getting a companion from a shelter but it was a bad choice. The companion lives in a cage by her choice and after 18 months I was able to reduce the cage to single layer 2 X 4 mesh wire. They seem to benefit from each other but I wanted to bond her, so I got a neutered doe that acts young but is full grown from the shelter. They got along well when introduced and after about a week were living in my house without constraint of a cage. They both seem rather independent. The only territoriality I see is that she leaves a lot of her pellets on the floor of his cage. Occasionally they sit together and both make grooming requests without much success. Hers are never honored and he has started putting his head under hers. Usually she ignores him, sometimes she affectionately licks his ears and sometimes she mounts him. I am giving her as much affection as ever and he does not want much attention from me. It has been 1 month since they were introduced. The new rabbit wants more space than I have both inside and outside so he would be happier with someone with a lot of space in the country. Should I return him and try for a better match?

Is there a way to judge dominant/submissive tendency in a brief encounter? I spent time with the new rabbit in his cage twice a week for quite a while and once in the visitation room but his behavior was nothing like what it is when he is free in my house or yard.

I am not experienced with rabbits but am giving it more time, and found 2 wounds on the buck I call Peanut on his forehead that may be bites. They are oval hairless patches about 4mm wide and 15 mm long with a read spot near the center (1 shown in the photo, the other behind the vertical line between the eyes.) There is no bleeding or scab formation. What I think is that he is very aggressive in thrusting his head under hers and in 2 cases she retaliated with a bite. This has not detoured him or made them less affectionate. It has been 4 days with on recurrence. Is there anything I should do?

Attachments

• PeanutWound.jpg
    PeanutWound.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
I am not experienced with rabbits but am giving it more time, and found 2 wounds on the buck I call Peanut on his forehead that may be bites. They are oval hairless patches about 4mm wide and 15 mm long with a read spot near the center (1 shown in the photo, the other behind the vertical line between the eyes.) There is no bleeding or scab formation. What I think is that he is very aggressive in thrusting his head under hers and in 2 cases she retaliated with a bite. This has not detoured him or made them less affectionate. It has been 4 days with on recurrence. Is there anything I should do?
If there is no bleeding or scab formation, its probably what's known as "barbering," although from the photo it looks like she may have taken a bit of skin off his nose. This could be part of the establishment of the dominance hierarchy that even just two rabbits need to work out; it's not necessarily affectionate or aggressive, it's just rabbit-speak. ;)

Your note that buck is pushing his head under hers is an accurate description of one rabbit submitting to a dominant one; and her nipping is the appropriate response of a dominant rabbit to a submissive overture. Females tend to be the dominant, and the territorial, sex. (Incidentally, this is why we generally recommend males for pets, and why we suggest to new rabbit owners that they approach their pets from above, and stroke the head and ears. To the rabbit, it's a demonstration of dominance. We counsel people not to approach a rabbit by putting their fingers under its nose like they would a dog, as to a rabbit that is a submissive signal and basically an invitation to nip, as well as confusing to a rabbit that would like to submit.)

Rabbits are a species that develop a dominance hierarchy and maintain it by using certain ritual behaviors. A submissive rabbit responds to/acknowledges a dominant one by putting its chin on the ground and/or pushing its head under the dominant one's. (Most people have seen this submissive behavior when they pet their rabbits, as most rabbits understand that they must submit to people.) A dominant rabbit will put its head over the top of a submissive one, often also licking or nipping its head or ears. The submissive rabbit tolerates this; it might twitch, but it rarely runs away. The nips don't draw blood unless the one getting nipped runs, or responds aggressively itself, in which case you get the chasing, fur-pulling and biting that can happen among rabbits, especially females, that are new to each other and need to establish the hierarchy.

he could also have scratched himself on something (that's what I would have assumed with that mark). If they aren't actively fighting, and she's not targeting him, they are doing fine. if does really don't like someone... they tend not to be shy about saying so. Bucks tend (not always) but tend to be pretty laid back and just let the ladies be who they are. (kinda like my hubby deals with me!!!!) LOL

But seriously... if she's not actively chasing him away or being nasty with him, she's just being a gal. if he's not acting scared of her that tells you something too. I've seen bucks scared of ladies... and they will turn their backs, and/or make themselves look small. They will not offer to be groomed. I've also seen bucks fight back if they can't get away from a mean gal... but most of the time they just try to get out of her way and just kinda stop.

Back