If the odds are 50/50, what should I ACTUALLY get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skysthelimit":w1jtmqfx said:
The image doesn't show. I'd like to see it, because it takes two genes to make Rex and two to make Angora, it can be a cross of Rex/Angora/Satin but a Rex/Angora cross would just be a normal furred rabbit, with maybe a little longer than normal fur that's shiny. A mixed rabbit.
Probably they would take a short cut and just cross Rex to Satin Angora. Actually, I'm thinking about trying to produce satinized rex. Mostly for fun, and since Rex is a big enough breed that it wouldn't ruin my meat production. It's too bad my French Angora boys are fixed :p

Becky":2bn4syls said:
skysthelimit":2bn4syls said:
The image doesn't show. I'd like to see it, because it takes two genes to make Rex and two to make Angora, it can be a cross of Rex/Angora/Satin but a Rex/Angora cross would just be a normal furred rabbit, with maybe a little longer than normal fur that's shiny. A mixed rabbit.
Probably they would take a short cut and just cross Rex to Satin Angora. Actually, I'm thinking about trying to produce satinized rex. Mostly for fun, and since Rex is a big enough breed that it wouldn't ruin my meat production. It's too bad my French Angora boys are fixed :p

The thing about Satin is the hair shaft is thinner and transparent, that's how you get the shine. Rex hair shaft is shorter and thicker, which causes it to stand up. The Satin gene will thin the hair (Satin Angoras have much less wool than the other Angoras, and much finer slicker type). You won't get the same density as a normal Rex, so it will cease to be Rex like. That's why Rex coats look almost like a matt finish in pictures. Like a Rex with protruding guard hairs... they look like very short haired NZ.

skysthelimit":2gyuvuq2 said:
The thing about Satin is the hair shaft is thinner and transparent, that's how you get the shine. Rex hair shaft is shorter and thicker, which causes it to stand up. The Satin gene will thin the hair (Satin Angoras have much less wool than the other Angoras, and much finer slicker type). You won't get the same density as a normal Rex, so it will cease to be Rex like. Like a Rex with protruding guard hairs... they look like very short haired NZ.

Makes me wonder what satin would do to my curly coated velveteens...Without the rex density, they might show their curl into adulthood.

That is an interesting question. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm __________ <br /><br /> It would just probably be a matting mess.
The satin gene acts on the guard hairs. What would thinning the guard hairs do to the curly coat?

So far the litter are very cute, with one VERY angora like kit, one very Rex like kit and four very fluffy but slicker fur than the fluffiest one.

Very sweet tempered as well.

I mainly want them for the hides so if this crossing gives such a variety for crafting projects, its a winner. :D

The rabbit hoarder in me wants to keep some for breeding but the feed buyer in me says NO WAY!!! :lol:

GBov":d3yzaqle said:
The rabbit hoarder in me wants to keep some for breeding but the feed buyer in me says NO WAY!!! :lol:

Yeah that stops a lot of us :(

I want chin Angoras, so I will probably cross the Rex/Angoras towards the end of the summer, after I get some legit litters from the doe.

skysthelimit":333z4nav said:
GBov":333z4nav said:

I want chin Angoras, so I will probably cross the Rex/Angoras towards the end of the summer, after I get some legit litters from the doe.
If grain is cheap in your area, a pound of grain converts to about 3-6 pounds of fodder, making it a very cheap feed. My problem at this point is just that cages are expensive :lol:

Becky":22gf38qk said:
skysthelimit":22gf38qk said:
GBov":22gf38qk said:

If grain is cheap in your area, a pound of grain converts to about 3-6 pounds of fodder, making it a very cheap feed. My problem at this point is just that cages are expensive :lol:

Nope, I'm 5 miles from downtown of a metro city. There is no such thing as grain here. 45 miles out I can buy grain at the same cost as a bag of pellets, which are easier to feed, store and don't attract mice as readily. I don't have the facilities or temperate climate to grow fodder year round for the amount of rabbits I raise.
Besides, fodder alone does not contain enough protein to keep a wooler in coat, for fiber production, nor will it maintain the same growth rates that are necessary for show rabbits.

Cages are the easy part, I build them myself.

Grain and pellets are much of a sameness here, price wise. My problem is cage space. All are full and my yard has no more room for any more cages to go in.

Being down here I can grow year round forage for the buns though so have started on that to reduce pellet useage a bit.

Still, a supper fluffy jet black bun, yeh, that's a keeper! :oops: :lol:

skysthelimit":3i00uaht said:
GBov":3i00uaht said:
Still, a supper fluffy jet black bun, yeh, that's a keeper! :oops: :lol:

You know black Angoras do stay black for very long.

Um? Like other black rabbits?

Out of the six kits one has the full Angora coat, three have fluffier but still normal coats, one has a nice long coat but not good enough to keep and the one I thought was going to be Rex has the oddest coat, its all the same length so from a distance looks Rex but the fur is at least an inch long.

Very odd and not a keeper.

But not bad, one keeper and five nice hides (plus meat) to work with. <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 12, 2016 10:56 am __________ <br /><br /> Now its a year on I have noticed a few things on the cross.

The first generation - Rex X French Angora - are a fantastic meat cross. The longest, widest loin I ever produced in any other breed and very big, bigger than either of their parents. Very thick pelts as well.

The second generation though are smaller than their parents and lighter than their grandparents.

Funny thing is that the one doe I kept from the first litter to breed with her fully Angora coated brother has never bred. Despite LIVING with several bucks for months at a time, she has never kindled.

Lol.

That really should have said Black Angoras "don't" stay black for long. Never jet black. That's a black in my avatar.

hybrid vigor generally goes away after the first generation, then the genes of the parents compete, with things going towards the middle. Rex have been notorious for not reaching sr wt, so that goes down easily.

My angoras out grow my Rex hands down.

My Rex do make senior weight but they take MONTHS to do it. :roll:

The Rex Angora second generation buck is such a sweety but he just mats to much and is too small.

My true wish now is for Rex with Angora FEET! They have feet like planks, huge and wide. :shock: Even their front feet are huge compared to Rex feet.

GBov":2m3vhhmd said:

The Rex Angora second generation buck is such a sweety but he just mats to much and is too small.

My true wish now is for Rex with Angora FEET! They have feet like planks, huge and wide. :shock: Even their front feet are huge compared to Rex feet.

Pretty much that's the problem. It used to take 8-12 mos for mine to reach weight. Hated that, added something different and now we are sr wt at sr wt, and i don't keep small ones no matter how nice the type is.

I figured that fur would matt. combining the shortest fur and the longest fur, messes with the guard hairs Angoras need to keep a matt free coat.

To get Rex with thick, wide, well fur feet, you have to breed for it. Or breed it in with other Rex. It's one of those faults of the breed and must be carefully selected. I started culling kits with thin feet, selected for short, thick bone, and got much better feet.

skysthelimit":zngu0cw1 said:
GBov":zngu0cw1 said:

Pretty much that's the problem. It used to take 8-12 mos for mine to reach weight. Hated that, added something different and now we are sr wt at sr wt, and i don't keep small ones no matter how nice the type is.

I figured that fur would matt. combining the shortest fur and the longest fur, messes with the guard hairs Angoras need to keep a matt free coat.

To get Rex with thick, wide, well fur feet, you have to breed for it. Or breed it in with other Rex. It's one of those faults of the breed and must be carefully selected. I started culling kits with thin feet, selected for short, thick bone, and got much better feet.

Could you explain what you added different? Pretty please?

I added a faster growing Rex. From the same original lines. I never go out of lines.

Last year I added a Rex that came from the original stock, and was crossed to the origin of that original stock. In one breeding the feet improved again.

skysthelimit":32gogg1u said:
I added a faster growing Rex. From the same original lines. I never go out of lines.

Last year I added a Rex that came from the original stock, and was crossed to the origin of that original stock. In one breeding the feet improved again.

Ah, no chance of me doing that, the breeder I used is now gone and, to be honest, I wouldnt go back to her even if I could. :angry:

The new 50 50 litter is starting to fur out. Looks like three Angora coats, one rex and one normal. Dont hold your breath though, I was wrong with my last litter on who was going to grow what.

In that case go out of the line. i have lines from some very good breeders, so I just stick with them. That way I know what I'm getting is going to work well.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I am very tempted to cross to get Chinchilla in the Angoras, because every time I try to buy one it dies or falls through. Angoras are easier to get good ones than Rex are.

I am planning to add a new line this Fall when we take up breeding again. I dont usually take a break but we will be gone for quite a bit of this summer so needs must.

My 50 50 doe - Arabella - will next be crossed with a broken castor buck - Ned Divine - who has a great shape and pretty good feet.

Its funny, in her first litter there was a doe kit that looked to be growing a Rex coat but as she grew so did it. From a distance she still looks Rex but her fur is an inch and a half long. All the same length and hardly mats at all but as she has totally refused to breed, she is on this weeks cull list.

If you have both Rex and Angora, go for the mix for meat! We do lots of pelt tanning and the first generation crosses give a beautiful pelt, extra thick and plush and if loin is your fav part of the bun, its extra wide and long.

Latest posts

Back