If the odds are 50/50, what should I ACTUALLY get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My litter of Rex x French Angora have such thick wonderful fur that I am going to keep some of them to breed back to the parents but then I thought..................

If I breed a doe to a buck in that litter and each fur type has to be bred back to even show, will I get any "normal" furred kits at all? Or just (JUST :lol: ) rex and angora fur?

The current litter from a Rex (rrLL) and an angora (RR ll) should be "normal" furred (RrLl)

Breeding siblings (RrLl x RrLl) should produce
9/16 normals (RRLL, RRLl, RrLL, RrLl)
3/16 angora (RRll, Rrll)
3/16 rex (rrLL, rrLl)
1/16 rexed angoras (rrll)

Breeding a kit to parent (RrLl x RRll) or (RrLl x rrLL) should produce
8/16 normals
8/16 angora or rex
0 rexed angoras

What do the R and L stand for? I gather a normal rabbit doesn't carry those genes at all unless it had a Rex or Angora in it's line. I'd be curious to see what the rex'd angora looked and felt like.

All rabbits carry these genes

"R_" would be a normal furred rabbit
"rr" is rex

"L_" would be normal length fur
"ll" would be long fur=angora

There are over a dozen colour, coat and pattern genes but for simplicity sake we usually just work out the first 5 colour locus otherwise the genotype for a New Zealand Red would be

A_ B_ C_ D_ Du_ ee enen L_ mm P_ R_ S_ Si_ VV ww

Agouti, black, full colour, not dilute, not Dutch, non-extension, not broken, not angora, not maned, not pink eyed, not rex, not satin, not silver, not Vienna and wideband which is just too much of a mouthful :)

:shrug: it's doesn't seem to be a specific gene locus mutation that is "on" or "off" but is likely a double, triple or quadrouple repeat of a pigment section of the DNA hence the use of "++++" for a rich dark red rabbit.

There are many many many other ambiguous genetic modifiers for patterns, shades and textures which is why there has yet to be the "perfect" specimen of any animal breed but we keep trying :)

Dood":33ghaphd said:
:shrug: it's doesn't seem to be a specific gene locus mutation that is "on" or "off" but is likely a double, triple or quadrouple repeat of a pigment section of the DNA hence the use of "++++" for a rich dark red rabbit.

There are many many many other ambiguous genetic modifiers for patterns, shades and textures which is why there has yet to be the "perfect" specimen of any animal breed but we keep trying :)

Hmmmm, so HOW do we know how many +'s our rabbit has? I think my Shaggy is a great red - no idea where he stands as far as the rufus modifiers go, though. Do people just breed their most red to the most red, or whatever the issue, and hope for the best?

In theory, Rexed Angoras should cancel each other out. Or look like a porcupine.

Since Rex fur requires the guard hairs to be the same length as the undercoat, and Angora fur requires the guard hairs to be longer than the undercoat. You might get something that looks like a Rex with protruding guard hairs.

Well, she has her first litter so we will see in real life what the crossing gets me! :popcorn:

Or the whole thing will malfunctioned and rex angora are just bald. :lol:

akane":1bqj4s7g said:
Or the whole thing will malfunctioned and rex angora are just bald. :lol:

:lol:

She was such a nightmare to get bred her name is now Bellatrix! :roll: I finally put her in a four ft cage with her brother and told the two of them to just sort it betweenst themselves, I was DONE with them!

Guess they sorted it out. ;)

This is supposed to be a rex angora satin rabbit

show.html

Does anyone have a picture of 3 week old Angora kits? These 6 are furring out like puffballs but I don't have any normal kits to compare them with, just Rex kits right now.

My Gods, they sure are cute! I am taking pictures today in the hopes of being able to post them sometime. Perhaps the computer fixit fairy will visit? :roll:

GBov":2cafj9eh said:
Does anyone have a picture of 3 week old Angora kits? These 6 are furring out like puffballs but I don't have any normal kits to compare them with, just Rex kits right now.

My Gods, they sure are cute! I am taking pictures today in the hopes of being able to post them sometime. Perhaps the computer fixit fairy will visit? :roll:

Three week old FA kits

They look VERY like five of the six in my litter, the sixth one has the Rex coat. :p If they keep going the way they look now I think this crossing is GREAT!

The FA mother of this 50/50 pair had super wide shoulders and loin and the ones from her only surviving litter that I butchered had the widest loins and meatiest shoulders I have ever seen on a rabbit so if I can get that in my Rex herd and a few Frenchie furs to work with I will be thrilled.

But only time will tell. :popcorn:

baby <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am __________ <br /><br />
alforddm":3bwbvcgx said:
This is supposed to be a rex angora satin rabbit

show.html

The image doesn't show. I'd like to see it, because it takes two genes to make Rex and two to make Angora, it can be a cross of Rex/Angora/Satin but a Rex/Angora cross would just be a normal furred rabbit, with maybe a little longer than normal fur that's shiny. A mixed rabbit.

Attachments

• 10473425_1109502892408599_3148165791001008313_n.jpg
    10473425_1109502892408599_3148165791001008313_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 816

Latest posts

Back