How would you take this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen that I have Walter up for sale. He is our Broken Siamese Sable buck that I got at our local rabbit show because the lady was going to give him to a lady for snake food. She sold him to me for $5 and then said she would rather give me my money back, and just breed Oliver, my blue buck, when he was older to her blue doe. I was okay with that, so I got my money back, and took Walter home.

Well, just recently we made the decision that Walter and Princess Alexia had to go. Walter, because he is not showable(weight), and he is bigger than I would like to breed to my does(3lbs), plus he is broken, which I would like to kind of stay away from, overall, he just doesn't work into my breeding Program... and I have too many bucks. (Selling Princess Alexia because I just can't get into another breed) I put $35 and $40 on them because I would prefer them to not go to snake food homes and to help cover a little of my cost in caring for him for 5 months....

So, I put both rabbits up on Craigslist, as well as other places.... and today, got a response for Walter:

I saw your Add about Walter, I am the lady that gave you him, It's good to see that he is healthy, I hope you find him a good home, It hurts a little to see that you are asking $40.00 for a rabbit I gave you. Do you still have that little Blue Netherland Dwarf buck that I wanted to use with my Blue Doe? Give me a call #***-****

Do you think she really should be upset that I am selling a rabbit I got because she was going to give him to another lady as snake food... Yes, she gave him to me, but if she hadn't, he would be dead right now.... so what difference does it make to her. If I was just trying to make a dollar, I would have sold him right away. I am feeling kind of irritated but don't know if I should feel that way... I have taken very good care of this rabbit, and will find him only a great home. Do you think it is wrong I charge for a rabbit I didn't pay for?

I think simply explaining that you only put a price on him to avoid him going to snake food because you can't accept that fate would be enough. Most people understand that some care where their animals go and some don't. $40 would be rather steep around here though and would probably never sell. If it's not show quality and/or has no pedigree the best you can get is $20 and quite often rabbits that are not seen as useful for any type of breeding or are mixed breed only go for $5. I'm getting several netherland dwarf with pedigrees and very minor DQ like off color toenails for $10 each this weekend.

I would go with Akane's suggestion--- the price is to keep walter from becoming snake food. You can make the price 'negotiable' as well.

Just calmly explain to her, what you did to us. She can't fault you for having your own reasons to not needing him, after all, she didn't seem to have a problem with him being snake food to begin with.

I agree that you are doing nothing wrong, but I can kind of see her point of view. It sounds like she gave you Walter in exchange for Oliver's future stud services. If I remember correctly, Oliver was the rabbit that died of heat stroke, so that is no longer a possibility. It is entirely up to you, but offering her a small sum - $5-$10 - as a good-will gesture if Walter sells for $40 might not be a bad idea. She likely won't take it, but it may just soothe her feelings.

Just calmly explain that the reason they're priced as such is to prevent them from becoming snake food, and that you disagree with the practice as the practice of raising snakes as pets in this country is starting to become an environmental problem in some areas. Tell her that he doesn't really work for your breeding program being a broken, and that you're simply relocating him to a breeder who will use a broken for his or her program.

I can understand that she's upset about you "turning a profit", but such is life and you lived up to your end of the bargain. I wouldn't tell her that part, but you've been caring for that rabbit now, and $35-40 isn't much money when one considers it.

I agree with what everyone else has said so far. You're doing nothing wrong. I maybe would have offered him back to the breeder before listing him for sale to the public, but if she was originally selling him for snake food I doubt she would have wanted to take him back. However, once he was in your possession he was your property to do whatever you wanted with him. You entered into a verbal contract with her, and as long as she gets the breeding from your buck that you offered, she has nothing to complain about. Not that is really sounds like she is "complaining", more than likely she just is curious about your reasoning behind selling him and for that price.

If she traded the rabbit for stud services that never materialized she is probably feeling cheated. I'd reply to her and explain what happened and how you feel about snake food. If she wants him back I believe she'd be entitled to him since she didn't receive the payment agreed upon. She may be happy with part of whatever he sells for.

Oliver is still here... it was Stuart that died. The reason that the stud service hadn't happened yet is because he was not old enough until just recently, and neither was her doe.... So there hasn't been any discussion of her feeling cheated out of him because I still have all intentions of studding him...

With Walter, I don't know if someone would want him as part of their breeding program(I can't seem to get down the likes/dislikes of brokens and the patterns) and his weight. But overall he has a really solid body and a great head... so maybe. I had him priced for a pet home. People here will pay 5-10 for snake food... If I have to keep him for a long time until I find the right home, than so be it. I am not desperate to get rid of him... I just have too many bucks, and would prefer not to do brokens.

I sent her an e-mail but haven't heard back yet....

i have ZERO problem with you selling a rabbit that you got for free.

To me it's NO different then when I get rabbits back that I sold, I turn around and resell them as fast as I can. SOMETIMES I'll cut people a deal and sell them for $5, but most of them time I turn around and sell them for $30 again.

he's YOUR rabbit.
You fed him.
you watered him.
You ensured that he was healthy.

If you turn around and sell him, great! NONE of her business.

My best guess is that she is merely trying to clarify that you are still going to let her use your buck.

May I caution you. Make sure HER doe is VERY healthy before you allow her anywhere near your buck. Contact diseases are not fun to get (think VD, pasturella, etc). If she is not as healthy as you would like, or if you are all uneasy, give her the $5 back and call it square.

The rabbit didn't come with a covenant. You saved it from being a meal for a snake, and it is now your property. Hopefully that will make sense to her.

Oh, sorry... got the names wrong. :oops: Well, if you are still ready to allow Oliver to do stud service, then she has no cause for complaint. You don't need her approval for what you do. You only need to make choices that feel right to you.

Just to play devil's advocate here, but is your issue with selling for snake food because you think he will be constricted and suffer or you just don't want him used as food at all? Many responsible snake keepers/breeders feed dead/thawed food only as live have the potential to hurt their snakes. They could very well dispatch it prior to feeding.

No, I am not against rabbits being snake food.... I just don't want my rabbits to be snake food... I know they need to eat.. I just would prefer them to eat bunnies I didn't see, hold and raise... I know over time some of the bunnies I sell will likely end up there... and it is even okay with me to sell bunnies as breeders for snakes... I just would prefer my bunnies get the same type of spoiling I give them myself... I work hard to make really well rounded rabbits that make awesome pets,that is my number on goal... I also want to make great show rabbits... When I saw Walter, I saw a very sweet bunny and I just thought he deserved another chance before being a snakes belly... He is a really great rabbit and he loves people... I don't regret getting him at all....

I just got some interest on one of the rabbits... waiting to hear back from them.... Maybe he will have found a home already??? Fingers crossed!

Once any animal comes into your possession
it is yours to do with as you please.
The amount paid for it if any does not/should not
come into play. You did as you saw fit and I find no fault with
your decision. I will say this: I have dealt with snake owners in the past
and found them to be very caring and understanding individuals.
You have to realize that Snake owners care as much for their pets
as we do for our Rabbits. Hey, all Gods children gotta eat!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

.... I just don't want my rabbits to be snake food...

That is very understandable. It is hard to have your PET go for food. I raise for meat, and I still get attached enough to breeders that I would have trouble culling them--even the cranky does. I KNOW most of a litter is destined for the freezer, but there is always one or two that I will try to place in a good home. Bunnnies are easy to love, even for a hard-hearted wench like me, I totally respect that selling for food is not for everyone.

The fact that you are willing to go the extra mile to ensure a good home for this bun entitles you to take a fair fee, no matter how you received him. She wasn't willing to take the time, and time is what you are getting paid for.

Well, even we are planning on eventually raising for meat, of course not Netherlands, but I don't know that I have what it takes to kill them.... if I absolutely needed to, I could, but we have someone willing to do it for some of the meat... I think I will be more okay with that... but even that, I NEED to know it is done right and there is no fear, and as little pain as possible.

And unfortunately, I will just have to detach completely from them. The parents, I will spoil and fawn over, but I can't make pets out of the meat rabbits or I will not be able to let them go. I worked in animal rescue for alot of years(worked in a couple different animal shelters and do transport and foster care still sometimes for certain breeds), so it is hard for me to watch some animals that I think would make a great pet, get killed. I had a dog that I managed to keep alive in the shelter for 10 months(he was considered unadoptable because he was a pit/am staff mix) but the staff dealt with me and my one obsession with this dog... It took a LONG time... but I found him the perfect home and he is still alive and happy... I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but for that dog it is. And for those owners it is. They had been looking and could not find the 'perfect' dog... I think the same thing will happen with Walter, and with Princess Alexia too... the right people will come along... In the meantime, they have a home with me.

Well, that is where responsible breeding comes into play. Any rabbit that I place, I am very picky about where it goes. If I can't find a home that I think will take care of a rabbit properly, than the rabbit stays with me. If I get over run with rabbits I can't find homes for, well, than maybe I shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

Rabbits deserve as much care as any other animal, and if you are going to breed for show or pet... or anything really... than you are responsible for finding them proper and adequate homes where they will get treated correctly. Even rabbits meant to be used for consumption(human or animal) the rabbit should be well taken care of, not neglected, and killed humanely and quickly.

I personally don't mind keeping them a while if I have to. When I took him on, I took him on... I am in no rush to find him a home... but I am looking.

KatzNetherlands":c791ox4b said:
Well, that is where responsible breeding comes into play. Any rabbit that I place, I am very picky about where it goes. If I can't find a home that I think will take care of a rabbit properly, than the rabbit stays with me. If I get over run with rabbits I can't find homes for, well, than maybe I shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

Rabbits deserve as much care as any other animal, and if you are going to breed for show or pet... or anything really... than you are responsible for finding them proper and adequate homes where they will get treated correctly. Even rabbits meant to be used for consumption(human or animal) the rabbit should be well taken care of, not neglected, and killed humanely and quickly...

I agree completely! :)

Back