How old is too old?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beach Bunny

Reaction score
How old is too old to breed a first time mom? I have the chance to get a nice Thrianta doe but she is 16 months old and i've read many conflicting views. :shock:

I believe that if she is not overweight it will not
be a problem to breed her. If she has been overfed you can
place her on a restricted diet and place a PVC pipe between
the feeder and Water source. This will cause her to either
climb over or jump over the obstacle many times daily.
Sort of a mini Rabbit Gymnasium.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank You ottersatin that is good to know since her sire is my dream bunny!

Hehe send her to bunny boot camp

Wilma was probably about 2 when I first bred her-- and it was her first litter-- she is going strong!!! she is about 4 now!!

So the breeder consulted another breeder who said 8 months to a year is the oldest she should be bred at the first time :( I don't think she would give her to me knowing i would breed her.

There are conflicting view on this subject, as you noted, Beach Bunny. My view is that it is certainly preferable to breed a doe for the first time before she is a year old, but if the doe seems healthy and active and is not fat and the buck is not significantly larger than she is, I would give it a try. She may not catch easily, however.

well i rather not have her die on me if that is the concern but nice Thriantas are not easy to come by near me it seems.

depends a lot on the rabbit. Sometimes rabbits are just not meant to be mommas...some blame that on age, but considering the some young first time mommas have problems... is it age or just body build.

I would think that if she's a well built Thiantra that she'll do just fine for you.

I had a doe have her first litter at 2 and go on to have 3 more litters before I sold her. If the breeder won't give her to you for breeding there's not much you can do though.

I really think she has no more chance of dieng than any other bred doe.i think if anything the babies have less chance.

I have another thought Beach Bunny,
It is not the age of the Doe but rather the question is: Are there
any eggs left to be fertilized? So, if the Doe has not been bred,
is not overly FAT or in any other way out of condition,
I see no reason not to breed her! I find that many Does are
ecstatic when they become Mothers! It's just my opinion,
but I say, BREED HER!

Nearly all animals have far more eggs than they can use in their lifetime. Most start with millions and die still having thousands.

akane":3o1zncnu said:
Nearly all animals have far more eggs than they can use in their lifetime. Most start with millions and die still having thousands.

Yes, this statement is true!
But, if an elder Doe had been overly bred it could lead to
the Doe having smaller litters due to her being put through
the wringer, so to speak. An older Doe who has not been bred
or hardly ever bred will have many more viable eggs waiting
to be dropped and fertilized. I am not the expert, but I
would expect that any Doe which has never been taxed to
deliver on a hard delivery schedule will undoubtedly
have a vast amount of eggs waiting to be serviced.
At any rate: If you are going to spend the time and money
feeding and housing the Doe, you may as well at least try breeding her.
This in an effort to at least recoop some of the costs of your service
to the Doe. Or, you could just send her to the Crock Pot!. :twisted:

It's not the amount of eggs available but a hormone issue. A stressed rabbit will not release as much of the hormone that matures follicles to save energy for survival. An older rabbit will not have the same health and energy of a younger rabbit so will not produce as much hormones. A doe that has never been bred might also not release as much hormone at first. You get the same thing in animals that come in to heat or even in humans. A heat cycle can be missed or a human can stop having periods if they get overly stressed because the body starts conserving energy and stops releasing hormones.

I don't think i am ready for the crock pot just yet...

this has all been very good information!

The breeder has been nice to us so i don't want to take the doe saying that i will not breed her but then want to :( i guess i have to keep searching.I'd take her as a pet but space is limited so i was kind of hoping for a doe that will be producing.

If I were you, I would talk to the breeder again. Explain that there are differing views on the subject of breeding a doe over one year. Say you can only take the doe if you have agreement to try breeding her. Let the breeder decide.

Why not be honest with her, tell her you would like to try and see how she does. Perhaps if it would make the breeder feel better, let her breed her. Otherwise what is she going to do with her? Keep her and not breed her or pet her out? Both seem like a waste(by themselves anyway) if you have a good specimen and it is hard to find a good one in your area. Realistically, she is only 4 months past her 'prime date'

I would be up front about it. The only question I would really be wondering, is why? Why hasn't she been bred prior? Just a curiosity question for me....

Good Luck!

I'm waiting for the breeder to get back to me now.She just had a baby a few months back and is now selling her house so i'm going to gather that because she was downsizing her rabbits she decided not to breed her.Kinda wish i knew all this sooner eh.

On a good note though i may have found some in another state...field trip!

Beach Bunny,
possession is nine tenths of the Law.
Once a Rabbit is in your possession
it becomes Your property to do with as you see fit.
The decision whether or not to breed said acquisition
is entirely up to you. I know that you will make the right choice.
If the rabbit were mine, and given your position and needs/requirements,
I would BREED that RABBIT!

Latest posts

Back