Help pricing rabbit manure?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKT

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate input on how to price rabbit manure. I have a number of 5 gallon buckets full. I figured I could price by either volume or weight. Probably volume is best because if it's not 100% dry it will weigh more. My full 5 gallon buckets weigh from 16 to 19 pounds, so it's definitely a moisture difference. I checked prices on eBay and they are insane!

I just want to post to my local garden group and the Nextdoor app. I was going to start around $20 a bucket. I have nine rabbits and I think I'm getting a bucket a week. I would love to offset feed costs and also provide quality fertilizer to my gardening community.
If my price is per bucket then I could also sell half buckets. I am also switching to organic feed so I can add that to the label.

We also have started a new compost pile where we used to store our container dirt. Hoping to get it full of worms and worm castings!

I'd say whatever the market will bear. I've already got someone in my area selling it so I'm going to be friendly about it and set the same price (though for a lot more of it than they are selling at that price). For me, it will be a waste product I'll want to get rid of as I don't have enough garden space to use it up. If I can get at least some cash for it instead of paying to dump it, that would be a bonus. I don't want to undercut the other person but if I have to give it away for free I might even do that.

Thanks! Can you tell me if you both sell by volume or pound? I actually can use it in the garden, but would love to get my feed costs back. I'm going to grab some "go" buckets with lids that they can buy and bring back. If I get no takers I'll be loading up my fruit trees and garden beds and bins.

Thanks! Can you tell me if you both sell by volume or pound? I actually can use it in the garden, but would love to get my feed costs back. I'm going to grab some "go" buckets with lids that they can buy and bring back. If I get no takers I'll be loading up my fruit trees and garden beds and bins.
If you can grow bunny food on that manure you also would get that, right along with the free veg for your own table since you don't have to buy that anymore either. Close the circle via feeding things from your own place rather than buying in. But also calculate total in and out rather then just per group like human veg harvest & store bought and bunny feed vs sales of bunny products. I feed my bunnies way more then just storebought feed. Savings is a reason, better diet is another.
Profit may be just as much in savings as in earnings.

I grow year round, I have winter greens and am sharing them. I have a continual patio bin garden and a second garden out back in among my apple trees. I have a compost bed where I'm spreading buckets for myself, hoping for worms to move in. My back yard is clay and sand and I just don't have the physical ability to work it, it's easier to buy hay and pellets but they get their greens assortment everyday. We also have mule deer that eat everything that isn't protected by huge ugly fences, and I have anywhere from 2 to 8 in my yard most days bedded down. It's also that I'm a senior on a fixed income and could use extra cash.

Last edited:
I like the feed bag idea. I hate how many bags I accumulate.

My logic for a starting price might go "I would buy pellets at $25/bag, I would buy compost at a garden center at about $10/bag, they can pay $15." and then see if that makes it leave my house at a rate that makes me happy.

I don't sell manure because I use every speck I produce.

Good reasoning, thanks! My pellets range from $33 for a 50lb bag of Purina to $48 a bag for 40lbs of Modesto Milling organic, plus timothy hay, timothy pellets, and timothy - alfalfa cubes for their teeth. Plus sharing my garden greens.

Compost is cheap but fertilizer is more expensive. I expect to be dumping buckets in my garden all winter but would love to recoup some feed expenses!

Most of what our rabbits produce go into our raised beds, but since we live on a working farm in a rural farming community (with plentiful manure), a full feed bag of rabbit poop only goes for about $5-10.

Reporting back that I have been able to get interest in 5 gallon buckets full of clean poop for $20. Most are buying multiple buckets which I discount to $18 to $15 depending on the buyer. They bring their own buckets and I save my feed bags now to fill up for them. We have made about $110 so far. It doesn't really go back into my expenses because I give it to my husband for cleaning out the trays everyday. But he appreciates the pocket money.

Latest posts

Back