health issue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
What causes babies to get diarrhea and stumble around? I have some 7wk old kits in a grow out cage. Well I believe starting either Saturday or Sunday 2 ended up having diarrhea. I pulled those 2 and put into a quarantine cage. Next day I had more in the grow out cage with diarrhea and just laying around. When they tried to hop the couldn't and fell over like they was drunk. They all seemed to fall to their right side to door some reason. So far out of 12 babies I have had to put 5 down because I didn't want them suffering. I have noticed though when the seem to be dying their heads are tilted back or to the side. I have no idea what is going on with them. I haven't changed feed. There is no signs of sneezing, runny eyes or nose. I've checked their inner front legs for messy legs but they are nice and clean. Always have fresh water and plenty of hay. Other grow out cage inside the barn seems fine along with adults. So I don't know what could be going on with them.

Feeding greens or any thing of that nature? Any thing sprayed on feed/hay? What kind of hay? Any oddities in the food lately? Is it just runny? Smell? Any gel or bloating?

I have been giving grass and clover but not much. Maybe just a few handfuls. Nothing sprayed on feed or hay that I'm aware of. I feed a grass/clover/ alfalfa mix. It's runny and is all over their back end. I'm not sure if it smells since it's not in a enclosed area. They don't look bloated and there is no gel. I'm puzzled. Would heat/sun do this or coccidia?

I went to feed and found another one that couldn't stand on its feet. It would stumble around but it didn't have no diarrhea on its back end and he went right to eating. Any ideas what it could possibly be?

sounds more like a toxin then coccidia.

With coccidia or basic gut issues they tend to bloat and set real quiet.

could they be licking anything?
spider bites?
something in the feed?

Stumbling around tends to make you think neurological issue going on.
Diarrhea might just be a side symptom

So coccidia doesn't make them loss their balance or anything?

They are in a nice size cage with a double side box. The box has pressed wood as the lid. I am not sure if that is toxic but it does look like it has been chewed on a little. Could of been spiders because their grow out cage is on the ground. Other rabbits and my other grow out pen in the barn seem find. It's just the outside grow out cage that I'm having issues with.

Dehydrated? I'd treat for c as suggested, I'd also remove from that cage to an all wire one if possible or at least one that doesn't have any pressed/treated wood. Pressed wood is often treated with chemicals to make it water resistant and hold up better, its also often held together by glue/other bonding agent that is toxic...that could be your problem.

If they are getting dehydrated, can cause balance/movement issues.

They have a big tote full of fresh water. I give twice to 4 times a day. I have been pull the ones that seem fine and putting them in cages. The other 2 in the grow out seem fine. I have to find more cages to put them in but I'm running out.

You physically need to check each rabbit for dehydration. Pinch or lightly scruff at the back of the neck, if it snaps back quick they are fine but if it doesn't go back quickly you've got problems. The longer it takes (or if it doesn't at all in case of severe dehydration) the worse it is. Having water in front of them doesn't mean they will drink, especially if they aren't feeling well.

Well the only 2 in the grow out chase me around when they see me and usually are sitting on top of the hay rack. Would dehydration cause all those symptoms

Dehydration isn't going to cause runs, but a dehydrated can kill by itself and complicate things. It is a must to make sure they are not dehydrated while trying to figure out what else is going on.

They aren't dehydrated. Just want to eat. I have hay in with them but they want more pellets <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:11 pm -- <br /><br /> So far out of 12 babies 6 passed away. Seems like only a day or 2 and then they are on deaths door step

Yes I feed 5 to 6 full cups for them with boss and calf in it. Good quality hay. No wet spots in cage.

Would snuffles cause these symptoms?

Ok I will do that then. Thanks everyone.

Question if a rabbit got snuffles and you put down right the will the others get it?
I'm trying to learn about all these diease/virus they may get

preciousgurl63":2ewb4qgm said:

Question if a rabbit got snuffles and you put down right the will the others get it?

Maybe, it depends on the natural resistance of the other rabbits, how sick the sick one was (the sicker they are the more bacteria they shed), how much exposure the other rabbits have, and even on the virulence of the "snuffles" strain your dealing with.

"Snuffles" is used as a catch all for respiratory infections. It can be caused by pasturella, bordetella, and I believe, streptococcus bacteria.

preciousgurl63":6fqmr59k said:

Most common disease organisms exist in your herd, [or will, if you take your rabbits out, or bring other rabbits in]
the best defense against disease is a healthy environment, and a good mold and contaminant free feed.

Most disease symptoms show after "something" lowers the immune system strength in your rabbits. IE:
- feed changes, additions, or subtractions.
-feed contaminates [including dusty feed that irritates the respiratory tract]
-excess ammonia [unclean, or poorly washed litter trays that still have pee in them, poor air circulation and exchange] Rabbits have very little tolerance for ammonia in their environment .
- heat stress, + cold stress
-weaning stress,
-kindling/ lactating stress --
-new rabbits next-door [nervousness]
- old age
-- But-- the answer is "maybe" all precautions should be taken to reduce the possibility of disease exposure in your rabbitry, including quarantine of rabbits suspected of disease. and culling of rabbits who have positive disease symptoms.

Ok. Thanks for all that info. Its helping me a lot. Is there a antibiotic I can give to prevent mine from getting it?

Latest posts

Back