Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flax sprouts easily and I am sure, just like any seed, Its nutrition values will rise from sprouting.

tm_bunnyloft":25a2c4dw said:
I have discovered that over watering the grains will slow sprouting as well. I am going to try some different amounts of initial soaking times to see what works best at 70 degrees here.

The flax is from a different source than the BOSS, and it is sprouting slowly as well. I started last Thursday, and there is only a small root after 13 days. The tray is rinsed and has drainage holes. Through process of elimination it's definitely temps, so this is not going to be very useful for me at this time.

That sucks Sky. I had hoped it would work out for you.

The flax and Barley have sprouted here quite well when not over soaked to begin with. But the oats from TSC are not sprouting. Those are going to the ducks. :)

tm_bunnyloft":3mycuno1 said:
That sucks Sky. I had hoped it would work out for you.

The flax and Barley have sprouted here quite well when not over soaked to begin with. But the oats from TSC are not sprouting. Those are going to the ducks. :)

I'm thinking the little roots sticking out are still more nutritional than the grains themselves, so I'll feed them.

I'll continue this in the spring.

I am interested in the system, at least sprouting some grains for my buns. But, I found something in Nourishing Traditions By Sally Fallon that kind of concerned me and something I wanted to share. Here is what the book says,
"However, we must warn against overconsumption of raw sprouted grains as raw sprouts contain irritating substances that keep animals from eating the tender shoots. These substances are neutralized in cooking. Sprouted grains should usually be eaten lighly steamed or added to soups and casseroles."
I'm pretty sure what she is referring to is the whitish short sprout,vs. what the fodder sprouting is, from what I've seen in pic's, the longer sprout exposed to light so its more like the adult plant, but with the nutrients of a sprout.?
I'd like to hear what you all think? Sally Fallon is reputable and knows her stuff, but I also hear and see the fodder feeding of sprouts being a healthy food. It would be good for us to look into this further, so we know for sure it's healthy all around, right?

Amy":45wxxrs7 said:
I am interested in the system, at least sprouting some grains for my buns. But, I found something in Nourishing Traditions By Sally Fallon that kind of concerned me and something I wanted to share. Here is what the book says,
"However, we must warn against overconsumption of raw sprouted grains as raw sprouts contain irritating substances that keep animals from eating the tender shoots. These substances are neutralized in cooking. Sprouted grains should usually be eaten lighly steamed or added to soups and casseroles."
I'm pretty sure what she is referring to is the whitish short sprout,vs. what the fodder sprouting is, from what I've seen in pic's, the longer sprout exposed to light so its more like the adult plant, but with the nutrients of a sprout.?
I'd like to hear what you all think? Sally Fallon is reputable and knows her stuff, but I also hear and see the fodder feeding of sprouts being a healthy food. It would be good for us to look into this further, so we know for sure it's healthy all around, right?

She is talking about grains that are just sprouted like this...

sprouts.jpg

We are talking about sprouting the grain and allowing it to grow to this...

sprouted fodder.jpg

Big difference....

Yes, that's what I was assuming....I wanted to make sure. Plus I'm sure that not everyone knows that feeding the little sprouts could be a bad thing, at least in excess!

From my reading of sprouting:

SOME items that are sprouted must also then be cooked (beans mostly) to deal with certain disagreeable chemicals. Other items are perfectly fine at the "just showing a tail" or "alfalfa sprout length" eaten raw. It takes knowing how each item can be handled.

The big concern I come across in my research has been mold on the barley. Which they say putting peroxide or a bit of bleach in the water will help with that.

From what I have read barley, oats, wheat, millo, flaxseed, and sunflower are all safe. There were other safe ones too. I will look for a list to share here.

I'm getting closer to getting grains -- wheat anyway. I corresponded via email with Coker Feed Mills in Goldsboro, NC and found out that they have feed grade whole wheat and there is a dealer in a nearby town that carries their feed. Called that store and yes, they can order a 50lb bag of whole wheat the next order they place and the cost to me will be $14.49 plus tax. Oh, yeah, baby!

I've heard that it's mostl the lentils that cause problems, and they must be consumed in small quantities or cooked.

skysthelimit":7ltsu1pb said:
I've heard that it's mostl the lentils that cause problems, and they must be consumed in small quantities or cooked.

Problems in people or rabbits? :shock: When I was eating a raw vegan diet I ate a LOT of sprouted/raw lentils. What specifically is the problem with eating them raw, do you know? :cry:

Frecs":396b2f9f said:
skysthelimit":396b2f9f said:

Problems in people or rabbits? :shock: When I was eating a raw vegan diet I ate a LOT of sprouted/raw lentils. What specifically is the problem with eating them raw, do you know? :cry:

I've read a few warnings like this:

http://www.growyouthful.com/recipes/sprouts.php

Soaking neutralises the enzyme inhibitors present in dry grains, seeds and legumes, and starts the production of numerous beneficial enzymes. As they soak, the enzymes, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms break down and neutralise the phytic acid. As little as seven hours soaking in water removes most of the phytic acid. Soaking, fermenting and sprouting also breaks down gluten and other difficult-to-digest proteins into simpler components that are more easily absorbed. However, not all toxins are removed, with wheat and some legumes (see below) being the worst affected.

Just read, no first hand knowledge, as I don't really care for raw vegetables, so I haven't consumed any sprouts myself.

__________ Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm __________

I started sprouting 11 days ago, and my sprouts look like the first picture OAF attached, the roots are just now as long as the seeds. At this slow rate of growth, it will take 3 weeks to grow anything usable.

What do I do with the sprouts now?

Can you put a heat lamp nearby or just a light bulb to generate a bit of heat to help them sprout?

OneAcreFarm":19ihbdjm said:
Can you put a heat lamp nearby or just a light bulb to generate a bit of heat to help them sprout?

I could put a clamp light in the little greenhouse. I was worried that it would somehow come in contact with the plastic enclosure and catch fire, I have a bit of a fear of unattended heat sources.

skysthelimit":x2utzy2t said:
I started sprouting 11 days ago, and my sprouts look like the first picture OAF attached, the roots are just now as long as the seeds. At this slow rate of growth, it will take 3 weeks to grow anything usable.

I have been having the same troubles. I started a bucket of seed soaking in water and checked it for sprouts for three days. Well It barely started to sprout. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong.
Then I read somewhere to soak the seeds for a few hours and some to just dampen even. Hmmmm *Light bulb comes on*

I soaked 1 bucket of seed for 24 hours, then spread on trays. just soaking them twice a day with few cups of water. They are growing but slow.
So yesterday I soaked a bucket of seed for 6 hours and spread in trays last night. This morning they already had roots starting.
Last night I started another bucket soaking for 12 hours and put them in a tray this morning. Can't wait to see how they do after the 12 hour soak.

This is what I got from all of that..... 24 hours is way to long to soak the seeds. They just need to soak long enough to germinate. to long and they will drown.
6 hours of soaking looks like a great amount of time. I am anxious to compare how the 6 and 12 hours do. :)

So maybe you were soaking for to long as well. Thought this might help. :)

~also my house is usually between 60 and 65 degrees this time of year.

tm_bunnyloft":3iyf19m1 said:
skysthelimit":3iyf19m1 said:

I have been having the same troubles. I started a bucket of seed soaking in water and checked it for sprouts for three days. Well It barely started to sprout. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong.
Then I read somewhere to soak the seeds for a few hours and some to just dampen even. Hmmmm *Light bulb comes on*

I soaked 1 bucket of seed for 24 hours, then spread on trays. just soaking them twice a day with few cups of water. They are growing but slow.
So yesterday I soaked a bucket of seed for 6 hours and spread in trays last night. This morning they already had roots starting.
Last night I started another bucket soaking for 12 hours and put them in a tray this morning. Can't wait to see how they do after the 12 hour soak.

This is what I got from all of that..... 24 hours is way to long to soak the seeds. They just need to soak long enough to germinate. to long and they will drown.
6 hours of soaking looks like a great amount of time. I am anxious to compare how the 6 and 12 hours do. :)

So maybe you were soaking for to long as well. Thought this might help. :)

~also my house is usually between 60 and 65 degrees this time of year.

I soaked one batch that long, and another for just 6 hrs. My house is about 40F.
The ones in the grow lab were soaked six hours and they have light on all the time (light=heat). The room is probably at least 75F. I am trying to figure out how to ask to borrow a grow light to take home.

Latest posts

Back