Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tm_bunnyloft":2pu0vyna said:
I am thinking on trying a mix of barley and wild bird seed, then once is sprouts adding the flax seed and pasture seed (containing grass and clover seed) to the fodder mat.

Now can this replace all feed for rabbits? or do we still need to supplement and feed hay. On the page with the fodder system it said hay wasn't any longer necessary for rabbits. Is that true? If I no longer need to feed hay or supplements other than salt then I would love to switch to this for feeding my Rabbits, ducks, and pig. Otherwise I will do it just for a daily portion.

I think they still need the hay for long fiber roughage, but you can completely replace pellets with fodder.

I am still having a problem believing that this can take the place of the nutrients in pellets. I am for sure that this will not be as economical, and certainly more time consuming.
But since I love to grow things, more rewarding.

They dont need long fiberous roughage, just a lot of fiber because they chop up their hay in the process of chewing. It is ruminants with multiple stomachs that need long fiber hay. Even horses can live on just complete pellets and cubes. Though expensive.
I could add the Manna Pro Sho supplement to the fodder. I may try it with my meat mutts and see how they do.

skysthelimit":1md90boq said:
I am still having a problem believing that this can take the place of the nutrients in pellets. I am for sure that this will not be as economical, and certainly more time consuming.
But since I love to grow things, more rewarding.

Your cost will be a bit more up front, but sprouting increases the amount of feed by 5-7 times! Plus, it increases the amount of protein in the grains as well...here is an interesting blog post about it.

http://www.earthineer.com/content.php?blogid=11229<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 pm __________<br /><br />
tm_bunnyloft":1md90boq said:
They dont need long fiberous roughage, just a lot of fiber because they chop up their hay in the process of chewing. It is ruminants with multiple stomachs that need long fiber hay. Even horses can live on just complete pellets and cubes. Though expensive.
I could add the Manna Pro Sho supplement to the fodder. I may try it with my meat mutts and see how they do.

Well, I just meant that they still need the hay for fiber....I guess it matters not if is is hay bales or cubes or what have you.... :)

The grass that grows on the fodder would be fiber. You could dry it like hay or you could feed it like grass. Those seeds are growing fiber are they not. I mean cant you feed your animals oat hay or grass or barley or clover and call it fiber? :shock:

I am not trying to be argumentative or anything like that, :roll: just in case anyone is wondering :p , just trying to figure things out. :? I am really considering switching my rabbits to this as a total feed if it will work. :p

tm_bunnyloft":10jrrm0o said:

Doesn't the show supplement contain corn?

Its a granular suppliment. Im not sure. I will go check.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm __________<br /><br />Select Series™ SHO Supplement offers a quick and easy way to transform ordinary rabbit feed into a high quality show feed. By simply adding Select Series SHO Supplement to your rabbit's feeding program you are sure to see desirable changes in your rabbit's appearance along with its overall health.

Made with only the finest ingredients
Supports overall body firmness and condition
Promotes show quality coat condition
Contains papaya and yucca extract
For show rabbits
Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Hominy, Wheat Middlings, Feeding Oatmeal, Soybean Meal, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Brewers Dried Yeast, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, dl-Methionine, l-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Papaya Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Natural and Artificial Flavor
Feed Select Series SHO Supplement at the rate of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per rabbit per day along with any complete performance feed

Can someone do the math or show me how much grain I need to feed 40 rabbits every week?

I can't afford to get this wrong, or I'll have no show rabbits for this season.

skysthelimit":yaib5gpa said:
Can someone do the math or show me how much grain I need to feed 40 rabbits every week?

Grain to sprout? or grain to feed?

tm_bunnyloft":1v6sjxkn said:
Its a granular suppliment. Im not sure. I will go check.

__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm __________

Select Series™ SHO Supplement offers a quick and easy way to transform ordinary rabbit feed into a high quality show feed. By simply adding Select Series SHO Supplement to your rabbit's feeding program you are sure to see desirable changes in your rabbit's appearance along with its overall health.

Made with only the finest ingredients
Supports overall body firmness and condition
Promotes show quality coat condition
Contains papaya and yucca extract
For show rabbits
Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Hominy, Wheat Middlings, Feeding Oatmeal, Soybean Meal, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Brewers Dried Yeast, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, dl-Methionine, l-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Papaya Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Natural and Artificial Flavor
Feed Select Series SHO Supplement at the rate of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per rabbit per day along with any complete performance feed

Good it's not like calf manna. I will try to find some. TSC where I am at does not carry it.

__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:54 pm __________

OneAcreFarm":1v6sjxkn said:
skysthelimit":1v6sjxkn said:

Grain to sprout? or grain to feed?

Grain to sprout. Something like 5lbs of grain to 15lbs of fodder? I feed 200lbs of pellet per month.

tm_bunnyloft":t3awks7m said:
The grass that grows on the fodder would be fiber. You could dry it like hay or you could feed it like grass. Those seeds are growing fiber are they not. I mean cant you feed your animals oat hay or grass or barley or clover and call it fiber? :shock:

I am not trying to be argumentative or anything like that, :roll: just in case anyone is wondering :p , just trying to figure things out. :? I am really considering switching my rabbits to this as a total feed if it will work. :p

Here is an article that talks about feeding dry matter, like hay:

http://www.h2ofarm.co.uk/Science/Dry_Matter.aspx

and a cool one about fodder fed rabbits:

http://hydroponics.com.au/free-articles ... e-rabbits/<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":t3awks7m said:
Grain to sprout. Something like 5lbs of grain to 15lbs of fodder? I feed 200lbs of pellet per month.

The rule is to feed about 2% of the animals body weight so if you have 40 adult rabbits weighing an average of 9lbs each, then you would need at least 7-8lbs of fodder a day. That would take roughly 1lb to 1.5lbs of grain to produce...about 45lbs of grain per month....BIG savings!

OneAcreFarm":2rey96zz said:
tm_bunnyloft":2rey96zz said:

http://hydroponics.com.au/free-articles ... e-rabbits/

__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm __________

skysthelimit":2rey96zz said:

The rule is to feed about 2% of the animals body weight so if you have 40 adult rabbits weighing an average of 9lbs each, then you would need at least 7-8lbs of fodder a day. That would take roughly 1lb to 1.5lbs of grain to produce...about 45lbs of grain per month....BIG savings!
Can you feed oat sprouts and dry the oats as hay, too? To feed the oat hay?
Your link says "Our fodder will help with the digestion of dry matter and the dry matter helps the fodder to fix in the rumen or gut to be fully absorbed. They will work in a complimentary manner."
So, they do need hay? or is it just with "sprouting barley", if you sprout oats, do the oats go through as fast as barley?

Piper":1jn0d5fh said:
OneAcreFarm":1jn0d5fh said:
tm_bunnyloft":1jn0d5fh said:

http://hydroponics.com.au/free-articles ... e-rabbits/

__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm __________

skysthelimit":1jn0d5fh said:

Can you feed oat sprouts and dry the oats as hay, too? To feed the oat hay?

I believe that Barley, Oats and Wheat are commonly used to sprout for fodder. I am not sure about drying the sprouts, but maybe someone else might have more information on that.....

I know that for dairy cattle we would cut some of the oat hay before it grained for green chop and hay. Then we would wait for the rest to go to seed for grain. I don't see why you couldnt dry the roots and all to feed as dry forage a few times a week in lieu of hay. You could get one of those mesh sweater racks for drying your tops and dry the fodder on there. It would not take but a day or two to dry it so you could easily feed dry hay about every other day. Or at least that is my theory which I would like to try out. :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:46 pm __________<br /><br />http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-Ess ... gMethod=rr

Ok so that would be one bag of grains a month, at $15.99 as opposed to 4 bags of pellet a month at $16.99 each. Still hard to believe :)

Ok so now here comes the question again, will my show rabbits lose condition? Has anyone tried this with their show rabbits.

It's a good question, Sky, but it seems to me that most show rabbit people feed pellets. This may be because it is the "traditional wisdom" :roll: or it may be because show rabbits need a different kind of conditioning than meat rabbits or pet rabbits. I will be very interested to hear how MSD's rabbit fare on the show table. :)

MaggieJ":18jzkg6b said:
It's a good question, Sky, but it seems to me that most show rabbit people feed pellets. This may be because it is the "traditional wisdom" :roll: or it may be because show rabbits need a different kind of conditioning than meat rabbits or pet rabbits. I will be very interested to hear how MSD's rabbit fare on the show table. :)

Her's still grow faster than mine on grain, and that might just be a genetic line issue as well, but she's making senior weight and her's look good in the picts. I would like to know before I totally try to go off pellets.

It's funny...for the past several days I've been giving my NZW mama a good clump of oat sprouts when I play with the babies. Maybe this is why she's been eating so little of her pellets? lol

Latest posts

Back