First order!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
So, I got my first order for rabbit from a co-worker. I am charging him $2/lb
live weight, which will work out to about $3.33/lb dressed weight. Not sure if
this is the price I will stick with, but since he is the first I thought I would
give him a break. He wants four "for his first order"...!

I have been looking into the laws in Texas, and I can sell meat that I have
processed at my farm to individuals, restaurants and stores as long as I don't
sell more than 10,000 animals in a year...pretty sure I won't sell that
many...:eek:) There is a Poultry/Rabbit Exemption that I have to apply for in order
to do that. All I need is to have Sanitation SOP's on file with the State Health
Department. In the mean time, I can sell him 4 live rabbits and he can ask me to
butcher for him and that is ok. I would need the AWA license if I was going to
sell more than $500 in LIVE animals, otherwise I would be considered a "hobby
breeder" and exempt from licensing requirements....clear as mud? LOL So, to
cover all my bases, I will get the AWA license AND the Poultry/Rabbit Exemption.
I am thinking of joining the local Farmer's Market as well. Now I just have to
figure out which ones to keep and which ones to send to "camp."

that poultry rabbit exemption is a bit more involved than just filing the SSOP, and it is subject to an initial facility inspection, just exempt from ongoing, daily inspection like a USDA/state inspected facility.

Right, I just meant that you don't have the same requirements as the General Exemption, which is much more complicated and involved. You have to meet all kinds of other requirements such as types of surfaces, etc. The Poultry/Rabbit one just the inspection and SSOP basically. I am sure there is more and I don't mean to make light of it. I am just happy to know that it is NOT as complicated and expensive as I thought it would be.

yeah, it's eminently doable, I talked to the guy in Austin in the Meat Safety Assurance Dept. and he was very encouraging and helpful. But having studied the info, it looks like you/me/we would be best with a separate, if small outbuilding or something.

Latest posts

Back