Experiment Started! (just how good are rabbit coco pebbles)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
I am taking a botany class this quarter and one of our main assignments is to do an experiment on basil plants and document the affects it has on their growth. There was a list of experiments that we could choose from(CO2 injections, petting the plants, playing music, adding moss, etc.) or if we wanted to we could make our own. I pitched the idea of adding rabbit manure to the soil and explained its (supposed) benefits and surprisingly/luckily my team was very interested.

We sadly could not mix the manure into the soil as the plants were very young and had just been transplanted into new pots, so we instead had to put a layer on top so that when they are watered the nutrients flow throughout the soil.

Conducting the experiment:

We have 16 basil plants, 8 are the experiment group and 8 are the control group. The experiment group was treated on 10/18 we will measure once the high, and number of leaves. At the end of the quarter, we will clean and try the plants to get over all weight. I will post the experiment specs at the end of the quarter (I don’t have access to them outside of class time). I will also be taking general notes of the overall appearance of the plants.

I am very excited to see the outcome of this experiment. I have always heard about the wonders of rabbit poop, and have used it in my garden for 10+ years, but I have never been able to do a side by side comparison before.

How about rabbit urine? Bunny Wiz?
I know rabbit urine more as a insecticide then fertilizer.
Although i find that adding bunny poo to soil around plants that have pest problems makes the plant less attractive / more resilliant and the pest pressure drops even to almost nothing. I hear more people have such results although not always bunny manure. One was fruit trees and mold i think. Came across the remark in Gabe Browns book dirt to soil that healthy plants have to high a brix value to be seen / suitable as locust food. Seems like eating healthy applies to plants too.

I know rabbit urine more as a insecticide then fertilizer.
Although i find that adding bunny poo to soil around plants that have pest problems makes the plant less attractive / more resilliant and the pest pressure drops even to almost nothing. I hear more people have such results although not always bunny manure. One was fruit trees and mold i think. Came across the remark in Gabe Browns book dirt to soil that healthy plants have to high a brix value to be seen / suitable as locust food. Seems like eating healthy applies to plants too.
In general, what I read is that it takes months for the pellets to slow release and naturally break down. The rabbit urine provides instant nutrition as well as works as an insecticide....and also to be used as an insecticide it must be applied to the foliage in very diluted form. Both seem to work.

Visual Update. I do not have the data sheet yet to give exact measurements, but here is a visual update of how things are going. The experiment group is on the right and the control is on the left.

Attachments

• BB52B108-8C7B-48FB-9B67-32254C01B1CB.jpeg
    BB52B108-8C7B-48FB-9B67-32254C01B1CB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C5E918B8-3CA5-4E03-97C3-909662425888.jpeg
    C5E918B8-3CA5-4E03-97C3-909662425888.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Visual Update. I do not have the data sheet yet to give exact measurements, but here is a visual update of how things are going. The experiment group is on the right and the control is on the left.
Look forward to seeing your final data. I know my first year with rabbit poo in garden was best ever, even in a drought year. Really helped our sandy soil with both fertility and moisture holding.

Latest posts

Back