Do you like to write??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maggie, I am so intrigued by that very small part of your book you posted. Now I want to read it! :lol: I've always enjoyed historical fiction, probably more so than other genres. I would love to know when it gets published, so I can read it!! :D

@ Grumpy
Oh yes! I agree with all you have said. It's the most wonderful feeling to be transported to that other world! And I can attest to the "did I write that?" feeling as well. Sometimes I impress myself! :D

@Bikegurl
You can be sure when my book becomes available that I will be announcing it from the rooftops . . . and here on RabbitTalk. It's a good story about a rescue home girl who is orphaned at the age of 4 and who at 12 is shipped off to Canada to be a "mother's help". At least 80,000 British children shared a similar fate between 1869 and 1930.

@ PetLover
Believe me, there is nothing sophisticated about my book. Sarah, my viewpoint character, has the equivalent of perhaps a Grade 10 education (Is that sophomore in the United States high schools?) but the Home where she was raised emphasized speaking well, so she is able to tell her story, simply but well.

When writing, I have to be able to "hear" in my mind what the characters are saying to each other. I have to be able to "feel" whatever Sarah feels. This means I have to tune out my own self and "be" Sarah while I am writing.

Revising and editing are different -- more detached and analytical. I have to consider my word choices and ask myself if a character would actually use such-and-such a word.

Another time-consuming aspect is how English has changed in the last 125 years. I read a novel set in Elizabethan times (1500s) where the author let her viewpoint character use the word "sexy" about her love interest. I cringed, knowing that as a 1960s kind of word. It was, on investigation, not used before about 1905 and not commonly used until much later. I hate, loathe and detest anachronisms!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not a problem for you, since you are writing contemporary fiction.

There is no substitute for experience . . . and you will only get that as you continue to write. :D

MaggieJ":crl86zml said:
You can be sure when my book becomes available that I will be announcing it from the rooftops . . . and here on RabbitTalk. It's a good story about a rescue home girl who is orphaned at the age of 4 and who at 12 is shipped off to Canada to be a "mother's help". At least 80,000 British children shared a similar fate between 1869 and 1930.

You just made me even more interested with that premise! :lol:

Off topic, but....I actually used this thread today as material to help teach my student about the importance of editing and revising writing. ;) He struggles with and hates writing, so usually skips the proofreading/editing part :roll: I thought maybe hearing from actual writers might help....we'll see! :) (I'm homeschooling a 9th grader)

Tell him writing is NOT that bad ;D Especially when you are writing what you love to ;)
And off topic too... I am a home-schooled 9th grader, as well, haha. :p

---

I am going to try and self-publish my book when I am done, and maybe use Amazon's option. Their format for the book layout kinda confused me though... :shock:

MaggieJ":myizmpuo said:
@ Grumpy Oh yes! I agree with all you have said. It's the most wonderful feeling to be transported to that other world! And I can attest to the "did I write that?" feeling as well. Sometimes I impress myself!

Gives ya goose-bumps....don' it. LOL. :p :p

I've often felt a bit "different" about what I experience when I'm---
In the zone--- so to speak. It's nearly an "out of body"
feeling, I can only assume. LOL "I ain't dead yet!"

It's good to get positive confirmation for your efforts.

My "joy of writing" was nearly destroyed back in the early 70's by a
shrew of a teacher who castigated my work in front of the college class.

She took great pleasure in doing this with other students as well.
Needless to say, by the end of semester, her classroom resembled
a ghost town. I cannot reiterate "here" what I said to the woman
as I walked out of her class. It was a descriptive location where
she could place a kiss. :evil: :evil:

A light applause followed my exit.

grumpy.

thats quite the story grumpy!! :O :lol:

I try to write one chapter of my book a day... If I write more than that or try to force words to come out of my brain, it becomes less fun to do :)

grumpy":7wyrm8f0 said:
It sure does!!! :lol:

grumpy":7wyrm8f0 said:
My "joy of writing" was nearly destroyed back in the early 70's by a
shrew of a teacher who castigated my work in front of the college class.
Teachers like that one should be fired. Or tarred and feathered. Or both. :twisted:

MaggieJ":3tndge7i said:
I rather thought Bunny-Wan and Galadriel would have been interested in this thread, but maybe they missed it.
They're going to jump in, I'm sure. We have been pretty nutty here lately. :p

Petlover500":3tndge7i said:
Yay, finished another chapter of my book!! :p
:congratulations:

Thaks Miss M!
I am really on a roll now! I completed 2 more chapters last night!
But my back is killin me now! :x

Okay, I've been stalking this thread for a while... :oops: Had to jump in. :roll:

I've been writing since I was a wee child, and take great pleasure in it. Sadly, it takes me a long time to be satisfied with mere paragraphs, so I don't get far, and tend to put other priorities before writing so I don't do it often. I have about a zillion fictional ideas that are left to rot on my computer unfinished. I hope they won't all be doomed that way. :lol: It's not only hard for me to find the time to write, but most of it I blame on what I call "The writers mood." I usually have to be in "The mood" to write or nothing comes out how I want it, and it usually comes in spurts when I get a new idea. :roll: I have never actually finished a book and I used to not do well with outlines. I recently had to write a short story (COMPLETE a short story) for school....the teacher said 5-6 pages long.....well....I've never been good at short stories...and um...ya, so 16 pages later I finished up... :lol: :oops:
That was the first time I had done an outline, and well it actually helped a lot! I hope to expand it... it's 5,597 words right now, but I hope to somehow turn it into a novel....not sure HOW I will add so much extra for that, but I'll figure out some way....if I get around to it. :lol: ;)

Thats awesome Easy Ears!
Whats the story about? I would love to read it if possible!
I am rather... Bad... At short stories :lol: once I start I just can't stop!
But I do tend to write instead of doing "more important" things... Like reading science homework, haha. ;D I havent gotten a good grade on a test since Chapter ONE :shock: 0-0 hehe... Whoops....
Although I somehow managed to get a B on my report card! *phew*

grumpy":2lpztml7 said:
There are days, when everything is 'clicking' that I'll put
2500+ words down. It surprises me when I can...but I sure won't turn
it down. I call it being..."in the groove"...where everything comes together
with little to Zero effort. What is more curious, is that there are times I'll
go back an re-read portions and I find it difficult to believe "I wrote that?"

I'm sure Maggie can attest to that. Sorta spooky when you can get that
far 'into' a story and not even realize what you're writing......till later.

A place where your mind goes and thank heaven your fingers can follow.

Yes! yes yes yes yes yes YES! I've had that! :p :p :p It happened when I wrote a test prologue for Bun and his first Heirs novel! Not sure if he'd let me post it (it's really a detailed peek), but if he doesn't mind and you want to see, I'll post it. :D It happened again last night, when I helped him work out a fight scene. No peeks unless he says, and I'm not sure he'll let you see that one (crucial moment)! ;)

Petlover500":2lpztml7 said:

I'm still agonizing about a challenge handed to me by a member here -- write a short story about a librarian who somehow wound up handing out disposable lab coats to the readers in the teen program... yeah, I was one of the recipients in reality... :lol:

Easy Ears":2lpztml7 said:
It's not only hard for me to find the time to write, but most of it I blame on what I call "The writers mood." I usually have to be in "The mood" to write or nothing comes out how I want it, and it usually comes in spurts when I get a new idea.

Precisely. I can't write or draw very well when I make myself do it. The aforementioned prologue just started up in my head and I ran it down on the laptop! :lol:

Galadriel":eegcw4al said:
Easy Ears":eegcw4al said:
It's not only hard for me to find the time to write, but most of it I blame on what I call "The writers mood." I usually have to be in "The mood" to write or nothing comes out how I want it, and it usually comes in spurts when I get a new idea.

Precisely. I can't write or draw very well when I make myself do it. The aforementioned prologue just started up in my head and I ran it down on the laptop! :lol:

It's hard to maintain momentum when you only write occasionally. I know . . . been there, done that.

Writers need to learn to work whether they are inspired or not.
Or, as one successful writer put it: "I only write when I am inspired. And it's my job to make sure I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning."

Regular hours devoted to writing daily bring huge rewards in the long run. Grumpy writes early, early in the mornings. I write from 9 am to noon and sometimes in the afternoon as well. You will find that after a while, the words come even on those days when you're sure you can't string together a few sentences.

I love writing too :lol: I'm just afraid to post my stories..........half the things I write would either make you run me out of town or make you think I have the imagination of Alice in Wonderland.
_smile__by_idjpanda-d7btdn9.gif

Tbh though, I'm really not bad at writing. I love writing anything fantasy and I use other sites to design my characters.
17ad48bfa7976d0f47852d8abe0c6754-d4o2yxk.gif

I love to collab on stories and characters, and when I start a new story I'll never be happier.
smile_by_swazzy32.gif
(Hey, if you don't believe how insane I am...check my dA page)
If anyone wants to write a story or design a character or needs help of any sort, I'll be here
tard_hi_by_drm94.gif

Petlover500":qlcx7vlh said:
Thats awesome Easy Ears!
Whats the story about? I would love to read it if possible!

Ah ha ha ha ....ha..... :shock: Well um, I gotta say I am FAR from being an expert writer.... :oops: I LOVE writing description, and am VERY VERY picky about repetitive words, and bad grammar. :roll: My pickiness is probably a good thing, but doesn't help with the time it takes for me to write. :p Oh and we haven't even TOUCHED on writers block! lol! :lol:

As for what it's about, that's classified just cause I MAY attempt to get it published if I can ever expand it. :mrgreen:

Petlover500":qlcx7vlh said:
I would love to read it if possible!

:hiding: Ha, Ha, ha....well it is not quite ready for public viewing... um...ya. :oops: I must admit there is MUCH I need to revise! ;)

MaggieJ":2ynywlg0 said:
I rather thought Bunny-Wan and Galadriel would have been interested in this thread, but maybe they missed it.

Nope! Didn't miss it, I was trying to figure out what to say! :?

P.S. I would have posted before, But as it turned out, we were out all day! ;)

Galadriel":2ynywlg0 said:
Yes! yes yes yes yes yes YES! I've had that! :p :p :p It happened when I wrote a test prologue for Bun and his first Heirs novel! Not sure if he'd let me post it (it's really a detailed peek), but if he doesn't mind and you want to see, I'll post it. :D

Detailed, yes, but not entirely crucial! Go ahead, if they want! Maybe reading the prologue will make 'em want more! :twisted:

MaggieJ":2ynywlg0 said:
@ Grumpy Oh yes! I agree with all you have said. It's the most wonderful feeling to be transported to that other world! And I can attest to the "did I write that?" feeling as well. Sometimes I impress myself!

grumpy":2ynywlg0 said:

I've totally been there! As I'm writing, It's like novelizing what's playing out right in front of me! :p

Latest posts

Back