Curly Popple Brag - show me your popples! =D

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DumansArk

Reaction score
Okay - Akane has beautiful little curly popples. Who else has em? I LOVE LOOKING AT THEM!!

Post 'em here and if you can tell us what breed/breeds I'm very interested to know.

Here I'd like to share some mostly mini rex in origin curlies:

dumansark_snips-last-babys-nov11_litter_12-9--.jpg

dumansark_ellasnov11_litter_12-9--7.jpg

dumansark_ellasnov11_litter_12-9--5.jpg

dumansark_ellasnov11_litter_12-9--2.jpg

dumansark_ellasnov11_litter_12-9--1.jpg

Who else has some to share? I wanna see! :)

Ack! Duman, you are too cruel! I want, Want, WANT, WANT ONE!!! Or two, or twenty...

hahaha the words "show me your popples!" made me laugh so hard! lol :)

They look so cool..looks like the fur is jus long for a mini rex but others its curly and cute lol i love the first pic how it has a moehawk thats my kind of rabbits! lol

Thank you!! They sure are cute.

And for MamaSheepdog: is there anyone on this list near Ellensburg, Washington? I ask because there is an Astrex train that will go down from Canada to a woman wanting them near Chico, CA and I think MamaSheepdog needs a Christmas present! (And *I* want some of this stock too - we'll have to relay to each other someday!!)

Oh, that would make me insanely, utterly beside myself with happiness! We could definitely trade out some curlies someday! The lady who bought my pony lives in Northern Ca. and is picking Dixie up in mid to late January, so if the train has arrived, she could bring me my bunnies! Whoo-hoo! I mean WOOT! Duman, you are my new best friend!

OMG!!! Just went back and re-read the original email from my pony buyer, and she lives in Chico!!!

Woot, woot, woot, woot, WOOT! :mbounce: :thankyou:

MamaSheepdog":2bbgfvu0 said:
Oh, that would make me insanely, utterly beside myself with happiness! We could definitely trade out some curlies someday! The lady who bought my pony lives in Northern Ca. and is picking Dixie up in mid to late January, so if the train has arrived, she could bring me my bunnies! Whoo-hoo! I mean WOOT! Duman, you are my new best friend!

OMG!!! Just went back and re-read the original email from my pony buyer, and she lives in Chico!!!

Woot, woot, woot, woot, WOOT! :mbounce: :thankyou:

GRIN!!! I'd like that.
Sending you a Private Message.

I've been taking my stock out and evaluating it, and think I have 3 does (so far) that are possible Astrex carriers. They are from 2 doe lines, sharing the same sire for this generation.

Here are pics of 2 of the 3 does- the agouti one (not sure of the accepted name of this color) and her 1/2 sister the REW. The other possible is sister to the REW, but is a black- pics didn't come out well for her, and her butt is not as wavy as the REW, so she is not shown here.
IMG_3346.JPGIMG_3356.JPG
Flurry seems to only have the wavy fur on her butt- her fur also feels much more dense than the normal Rex.
IMG_3428.JPG

I'm hoping I have the beginning of an Astrex line, but also want to maintain the 'normal' line so I can compete in shows, so I plan to work on these coat aspects independently.

Lovely buns! The REW's butt ripples are very nice - and I think your castor is the same you showed before, the closeup of her neck curl? Beautiful!

Interesting they have the same father and show this wavyiness to their fur. Any plans to pair them with their sire as an experiment??

Thanks, Duman! Do you think they might be Astrex?

The castor is the same junior doe you've seen before- I am thinking that both of my original does and the buck must carry the Astrex gene, and want to breed the 'curlies' back to their Sire to maximize the 'wave-factor'! Do both parents need to carry the gene, or can it show up with only one copy?

The does were born in August and September, so I have a few months to wait before I can breed them back. I can't wait to see their coats when they shed out! Patience is a virtue, right???

MamaSheepdog":bgdy2hrs said:
Thanks, Duman! Do you think they might be Astrex?

The castor is the same junior doe you've seen before- I am thinking that both of my original does and the buck must carry the Astrex gene, and want to breed the 'curlies' back to their Sire to maximize the 'wave-factor'! Do both parents need to carry the gene, or can it show up with only one copy?

The does were born in August and September, so I have a few months to wait before I can breed them back. I can't wait to see their coats when they shed out! Patience is a virtue, right???

Astrex is a coat type, specifically for curly/wavy/rippled fur coats so thus you do indeed have yourself Astrex coated Rex rabbits.

To answer your breeding question: one parent can have the gene and pass it on.

Your plan to breed them back to their sire is sound; their litters should have several or all the kits develop curl as their fur grows in. EXCITING!!

Patience is a virtue allright :D!! Now don't be surprised to see your does shed their coat to normal rex; that stage is called the 'eclipse coat'. I can't wait to see pics of them and their future kits!!

WOOT! Well, I know the buck carries it then! Wasn't sure if they were truly carrying the Astrex gene, or just had 'poor' coat quality... Imagine! Here I've been lusting after your LPRs and I have the beginnings of my own curly stock in my own barn! Hopefully I'll get some as cute as yours someday. :D

Grow, bunnies, GROW!!!

MamaSheepdog":3uvm64sh said:
WOOT! Well, I know the buck carries it then! Wasn't sure if they were truly carrying the Astrex gene, or just had 'poor' coat quality... Imagine! Here I've been lusting after your LPRs and I have the beginnings of my own curly stock in my own barn! Hopefully I'll get some as cute as yours someday. :D

Grow, bunnies, GROW!!!

:lol:

OF COURSE you will have some as cute as LPR! And that they are showing curl at 5 and 6 months is good - do you have any clear pics of them as kits? The ones that turn out curly generally show it at 2 weeks old - the fur comes in wavy.

Re: 'poor quality' Rex: Didn't you know??? I was told once, by a man who was looking over my curly kits, "Those are some mighty ugly Mini Rex you got there."
"They have Astrex coats."
He nodded. "Yep. I'd make these stew and get me some with good fur."

=D
It is amazing how perception changes a thing!

DumansArk":ca0jqmir said:
:lol:

"Yep. I'd make these stew and get me some with good fur."

=D
It is amazing how perception changes a thing!

Hah! Inspiration for names! Mulligawtny, Gumbo, Bouillbaisse, Bourguignon, Fricasee... the way I see it, as long as the meat tastes the same, why not have a little variety in packaging?

I once had a cat give birth in a neighbor's garage- he was an old, old man and I'd never met him before. When I retrieved the kittens, a nice litter with a few Siamese, he looked them over and very kindly offered to drown them for me!

I'll have to look back for early pics- I wouldn't have been making special note of it at the time. You can bet I'll be watching closely from now on!

Thanks! I am thinking I should name the castor after some kind of snake ala "if it was a snake, it would have bit you"! Gopher, maybe? Not very auspicious, but she's the right color, lol! The REW is probably very relieved that she already has a name- Flurry, which fits her well with her ripplybutt.

Latest posts

Back