Chance at getting New Zealands, should I?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gotten into raising meat rabbits. Right now I have meat mutts (I think I was told they are new zealand, rex, Californian, maybe). So, it's a great start in the world of meat rabbits. The thing is, I want the breeds of rabbits I keep in the barn to be able to produce rabbits I can have available for 4h and ffa, so meaning they need to be pure bred. My dream is to get silver foxes, but none are around me and it's very rare a transport comes through my area. Other option are standard rexes, but same issue. I have someone local getting rid of pure new zealands, 2 bucks and 2 does, 2 are white, one looks like a broken red, and the other is a steel tipped black. My knowledge on new Zealands are close to nothing, other then they are good for meat. I'm going to dig out my standard of perfection, but right now I'm not sure where I stuck it. So, now the questions.
What colors are showable or preferred? And are they worth raising for meat and options for the kids in the community? Should I just wait till I find something I really want to work with?

I have gotten into raising meat rabbits. Right now I have meat mutts (I think I was told they are new zealand, rex, Californian, maybe). So, it's a great start in the world of meat rabbits. The thing is, I want the breeds of rabbits I keep in the barn to be able to produce rabbits I can have available for 4h and ffa, so meaning they need to be pure bred. My dream is to get silver foxes, but none are around me and it's very rare a transport comes through my area. Other option are standard rexes, but same issue. I have someone local getting rid of pure new zealands, 2 bucks and 2 does, 2 are white, one looks like a broken red, and the other is a steel tipped black. My knowledge on new Zealands are close to nothing, other then they are good for meat. I'm going to dig out my standard of perfection, but right now I'm not sure where I stuck it. So, now the questions.
What colors are showable or preferred? And are they worth raising for meat and options for the kids in the community? Should I just wait till I find something I really want to work with?
Based on my experiences breeding/showing/selling meat rabbits to 4Hers for years, I'll offer some responses to your questions...

If you have your heart set on another breed, you can always grab these, learn about the breed and possibly sell some bunnies and make connections with the 4Hers and FFAers in your area, then sell (or eat) them all when/if your dream rabbits become available.

Well-bred New Zealands can be great for meat, but like all other breeds, their quality depends on whether their breeder was selecting for meat characteristics. So there's that. All rabbits are meat, and crossbreeds can be great, but well-bred NZs can knock your socks off in terms of feed conversion, growth rates and muscle tone. I would suggest trying to find someone who knows meat breed conformation to take a look at them. You can also inquire of the seller if he/she has shown the rabbits and how they did.

As far as selling to 4H and FFA members, everywhere I've been there has been a high demand for quality Californians and New Zealands for meat pens. There are many good meat breeds, but those two are generally the most competitive and sought-after. Silver Fox is kind of a "breed of the moment," and their quality is increasing as more breeders work on them, but in my experience they don't tend to be especially competitive in meat classes. Other breeds can be competititve - our Satins won 1st, 2nd and 3rd place meat pens, 1st place single fryer and 1st place baker in both Open and 4H last year against Californians, Rex and Silver fox - but the gold standard generally tends to be cals and NZs.

If 4H/FFAers are looking for rabbits for breed competition rather than meat shows, of course, any breed will do, and if Silver Fox is desireable in your community you might find a market for them among the kids. But I think you could do well if the NZs under consideration are capable of producing show quality bunnies.

New Zealands are accepted for show in white, black, red, blue, and broken in those three colors. The steel would make me wonder a bit about the rabbits you're considering. It's true that when you cross a New Zealand white with another color, all kinds of varieties can pop out, but steel can be a real bugaboo, resulting in many non-showable kits in your litters.

If you buy the 4 rabbits described, hopefully the whites are a male and a female. You'd want to breed them together, and breed the steel to a white, keeping only the whites that result. Then if you breed white x white, you'll get all white kits, which tends to be the most common/preferred meat pen variety: since uniformity is so important in a meat pen, not worrying about color is nice. You'd need to keep pedigrees and make sure that buyers know that there is steel in the mix.

Regarding the broken red, I would definitely not breed it to the steel: you'll get a bunch of agoutis and steels, none of which will be showable. And unless the whites have red in their background, if you breed white x broken red, you'll probably get chestnuts/broken chestnuts. Those also are unshowable. To get back to the red, you'd need to keep a chestnut to breed back to the red, and hope to get a few reds out of that. It might take a while to get a good, consistent shade of red, since good red color involves "rufus factors" that add up over generations.

Long story short, for best color you want to breed white x white and red x red.

When you find your SOP, as well as looking at the NZ standard, check out the meat class judging rubrics on pages 38-40.

Based on my experiences breeding/showing/selling meat rabbits to 4Hers for years, I'll offer some responses to your questions...

If you have your heart set on another breed, you can always grab these, learn about the breed and possibly sell some bunnies and make connections with the 4Hers and FFAers in your area, then sell (or eat) them all when/if your dream rabbits become available.

Well-bred New Zealands can be great for meat, but like all other breeds, their quality depends on whether their breeder was selecting for meat characteristics. So there's that. All rabbits are meat, and crossbreeds can be great, but well-bred NZs can knock your socks off in terms of feed conversion, growth rates and muscle tone. I would suggest trying to find someone who knows meat breed conformation to take a look at them. You can also inquire of the seller if he/she has shown the rabbits and how they did.

As far as selling to 4H and FFA members, everywhere I've been there has been a high demand for quality Californians and New Zealands for meat pens. There are many good meat breeds, but those two are generally the most competitive and sought-after. Silver Fox is kind of a "breed of the moment," and their quality is increasing as more breeders work on them, but in my experience they don't tend to be especially competitive in meat classes. Other breeds can be competititve - our Satins won 1st, 2nd and 3rd place meat pens, 1st place single fryer and 1st place baker in both Open and 4H last year against Californians, Rex and Silver fox - but the gold standard generally tends to be cals and NZs.

If 4H/FFAers are looking for rabbits for breed competition rather than meat shows, of course, any breed will do, and if Silver Fox is desireable in your community you might find a market for them among the kids. But I think you could do well if the NZs under consideration are capable of producing show quality bunnies.

New Zealands are accepted for show in white, black, red, blue, and broken in those three colors. The steel would make me wonder a bit about the rabbits you're considering. It's true that when you cross a New Zealand white with another color, all kinds of varieties can pop out, but steel can be a real bugaboo, resulting in many non-showable kits in your litters.

If you buy the 4 rabbits described, hopefully the whites are a male and a female. You'd want to breed them together, and breed the steel to a white, keeping only the whites that result. Then if you breed white x white, you'll get all white kits, which tends to be the most common/preferred meat pen variety: since uniformity is so important in a meat pen, not worrying about color is nice. You'd need to keep pedigrees and make sure that buyers know that there is steel in the mix.

Regarding the broken red, I would definitely not breed it to the steel: you'll get a bunch of agoutis and steels, none of which will be showable. And unless the whites have red in their background, if you breed white x broken red, you'll probably get chestnuts/broken chestnuts. Those also are unshowable. To get back to the red, you'd need to keep a chestnut to breed back to the red, and hope to get a few reds out of that. It might take a while to get a good, consistent shade of red, since good red color involves "rufus factors" that add up over generations.

Long story short, for best color you want to breed white x white and red x red.

When you find your SOP, as well as looking at the NZ standard, check out the meat class judging rubrics on pages 38-40.
Thanks for all of the info and sharing your personal experience. Really also appreciate the input about the colors, the steel tipped one is what made me go "I need help from people on rabbittalk, i know nothing of this breed" lol! I love the look of the red, but definitely is a headache there. I breed satin angoras and used to have red in my herd, and I kick myself for not working harder with it, because now I lost it in herd (sold a nice fawn, thinking I didn't need him at the time, then my red retired). Now, I have a tricolor and I really want to pair it with a red, but no longer have any, lol!
But, anyway, I'll definitely inquire of the new zealand seller for more details.
My area is very lacking in regards to rabbits (and surprisingly chickens as well for that matter, so my sister is working on that), so 4h and ffa kids have been struggling. My little town used to be home to a wonderful rabbit breeding and cage building family that would attend many shows here in the southwest for years, but once the mom passed a couple years ago, they got rid of all their stock. I think a family member is still breeding and using their old barn, but on a much smaller scale. So since then it's been a struggle to find good quality stock locally, most kids are having to travel far for rabbits. Since I love raising rabbits and working toward the standards, it's been very enjoyable be able to help offer nice looking rabbits.
The new zealands that are in question look good in picture, so hopefully they are. I'll have more info on them later once I contact him for more details. In the meantime, I'm need to find the sop book and read through some details.

Alright, I messaged the seller a bit. Turns out they are pure, but not pedigreed. He says they are just commercial stock. So, that's a bummer. I could get them and work towards bringing them to standard and building a pedigree, but I don't think I'm up for that right now, I think I would prefer to wait till I come across a pedigree pair or trio, be it new zealand or another meat breed, as long as they grow nicely and can feed my family, I'm really not to picky there, so I'll stick with the mutts till something comes along. I did notice a popular transport is coming from the east through my county in AZ, so maybe I can try looking out of state. All in all, it really gave me some things to think about in regards what to look for.
Though, I might get one of his bucks, since my other meat buck had chronic ear problems, he had to be put down. So I was just going to keep back a baby buck from his last litter, but maybe getting an adult buck that's ready to breed might be wiser, since the baby won't be ready for another 6 months.

I know how you feel, I don't know what to do, wait to get a purebred silver fox with a pedigree, or just go for what's available now? I only have a Silver fox buck and some other Silver foxs that do not have a pedigree and are not really what I want, but I want to keep them till I get at least a doe with a pedigree and can set up a good rabbitry that I love and enjoy!
I Understand You Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

I know how you feel, I don't know what to do, wait to get a purebred silver fox with a pedigree, or just go for what's available now? I only have a Silver fox buck and some other Silver foxs that do not have a pedigree and are not really what I want, but I want to keep them till I get at least a doe with a pedigree and can set up a good rabbitry that I love and enjoy!
I Understand You Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone
Right? Its such a toss up! Lol, this is the problem we get for wanting to raise good looking rabbits!

until you go and look at them you won't know if those commerical New Zealands (pedigreed or not) meet the standard. rabbits are shown by their phenotype not by their pedigree. If it looks like a New Zealand it will be judged as one. so just because they aren't pedigreed doesn't mean they aren't worth looking at.

until you go and look at them you won't know if those commerical New Zealands (pedigreed or not) meet the standard. rabbits are shown by their phenotype not by their pedigree. If it looks like a New Zealand it will be judged as one. so just because they aren't pedigreed doesn't mean they aren't worth looking at.
That is fair, since they are super close, I wouldn't have to worry about traveling far just to find out they aren't worth it. I'm planning on reaching out to inquire of getting a buck anyways (plus he has some cages I want to look at).
People in my area used to be super weird about rabbits not having full generation pedigrees when i first started offering rabbits. Though, now that I have a relationship with one's who a very involved in 4h here, I'm finding out its not super important, as long as everything is accurate for the generation I do know about.

Things have been busy, but thought I'd finally take a breather and get on here and realized I never updated with what I ended up doing. So, I met up with the seller, just to get a cage and talk about the rabbits. They apparently are decent breeders, but the white buck tends to be aggressive with the does, he will breed, but the rabbits need to be separated immediately after or he'll attack the doe. Not really something I want to deal with or worry about. But my sister (she helps run the rabbitry) and I sat and talked about the advice that was given and looked at other topics on here, then narrowed down with what we really want to do with our rabbits and meat future, where do we want to put our time and effort. We are going to stick with the meat mutt does we have (they are producing wonderfully so far, one litter has hit 5+lbs at 9 weeks), mainly for our food. Plus we are getting a trio of standard rexes transported from Oregon from a breeder that breeds them for show, meat, and good temperaments. The stock she has looks amazing! I have done lots of research on rexes and feel I'd like to raise them and learn more there, then new zealands right now. I really appreciate the input everyone gave in regards to the new zealands and the additional tips as well!

Latest posts

Back