Canned Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK have a pressure canner, working up the nerve!
If you are worried about safety, just can single ingredients and add them together maybe along with some fresh stuff so it needs about 30min. simmer to come together. On the remote chance there was botulism in there it is then certainly dead (that needs about 15min) and thus safe to eat.
I don't can right now, but for me too ingredients only, for ready meals stuff i use store bought stuff or frozen. On the one hand it means more time needed but on the other hand it makes for flexibility, so you can make more different meals with the same basics.

Im thinking about purchasing one of those little green eggs. Anyone use them? I need an idiot proof somethingšŸ˜
We have those smokers. If anything is idiot proof these qualify!!! We had one of those stand-up smokers and I'm ashamed to tell you how much meat I wasted trying to get something edible. I did however get a ton of meat that was overcooked and tough as nails.
We went with a Vision egg I bought from Academy and it has put out some of the best meals we have ever eaten. I was so impressed I bought a small Kamado Joe for everyday grilling since it's just the 2 of us eating, Watch a ton of videos and you will be able to dial in the temps in no time and everything comes out perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_3635 resized.jpg
    DSC_3635 resized.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
  • jr.jpg
    jr.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
getting ready to process 19 grow-outs over the next couple of weekends (start tomorrow), glad to see this confirmation of my intent to can. I don't have enough freezer space for all 19 and I like to have meat on the shelf in case we ever lose the freezer so this is definitely happening.

....... I did brine too, as recommended, but only for an hour.

I cooked it partially for 8 minutes, then hot packed bones and all. Processed for 65 min at 11psi......

I have some questions that might be obvious for anyone knowing fundamentals about canning, but I'm a noob ;)

What does the brine consist of, just water and salt?
There is a lot of liquid in the jars, is that just water, or is it seasoned/salted/whatever?

Years ago I tried canning once, the result tasted pretty flat and a little wiered, didn't salt or season.

I have some questions that might be obvious for anyone knowing fundamentals about canning, but I'm a noob ;)

There is a lot of liquid in the jars, is that just water, or is it seasoned/salted/whatever?

Years ago I tried canning once, the result tasted pretty flat and a little wiered, didn't salt or season.
I do a light brine...2 or 3 tablespoons of salt to whaterver amount of water covers my meat...usually the size of a waterbath canner. And i only leave it in 30 min to an hour. Then i rinse.

Then i add half a tsp of canning salt to each pint. This makes it the right saltiness for my family.

The liquid is water before canning...after canning itnis a delicious rich and very nutritious broth that i never throw away!

I put all the spices we want in my brine. It can be anything you prefer. Just salt or all the spices you want.

The more i can it the more we love it...i cant keep it in stock, as it were šŸ˜

Tried my hand at bonafide rabbit sausage this week. It's sweet italian links...i hope it cooks and tastes as good as it looks and smells. View attachment 40656
I'm impressed! Good job.

Absolutely...but i like the freedom of adding the flavors i want in the dish I'm using it in...so it makes it more versatile for me.
When canning there is no need to brine the rabbit.
How much salt you add to jars depends if youā€™re doing pints or quarts. 1/2 tsp for pints and one tsp for
I put all the spices we want in my brine. It can be anything you prefer. Just salt or all the spices you want.
there is no need to brine the rabbit before canning.
Add half a teaspoon of salt for pints and 1 teaspoon of salt for quart jars.
Process pint jars for 75 minutes and quart jars for 90 minutes.
Also, donā€™t forget to use vinegar on the top of your jars, so you get it correct seal.
Use a pressure canner not a boil bath.
Depending on your elevation if youā€™re under 1000 feet, your pressure can at 10 pounds pressure if youā€™re over 1000 feet, you can add 15 pounds pressure.
You can add whatever spices like garlic, or whatever some some spicy stuff whatever to your jar and can. Donā€™t add any liquid to the jar itā€™s unnecessary.
Left the pressure in the pressure canner come down on its own, then open the lid remove the jars and set on a cloth too so you avoid breakage. I should also state that that at the beginning of the canning process, you can cold your meat into the jars tightly. Then add generally 3 quarts of water to your pressure canner. Then bring the heat up slowly so that the jars donā€™t break. you can put your lid on, but donā€™t put the weight on top. You must wait until the steam is coming out of the top and then once itā€™s steaming out the top set your timer for 10 minutes. This gets rid of bacteria inside the counter. Then once you put your weight on once the weight starts wobbling back-and-forth, you want to keep it at a consistent wobble. You may have to turn your stove down to eight or seven on my stove. Then set your timer for 90 minutes or 75 minutes depending on if your quarts or pints.

I hope this is the appropriate place for this. I just wanted to share my canned rabbit experience because no one gets as excited of these things as me!

I pressure canned my first batch this past week, I had 5 large fryers edging on roasters. I cut them up, kept out the wabbit wings for freezing, and had two 6 qt instant pots full. I did brine too, as recommended, but only for an hour.

I cooked it partially for 8 minutes, then hot packed bones and all. Processed for 65 min at 11psi.

When i say this is the best canned meat i have ever tasted...omg. I was skeptical, because while i like the flavors of canned tuna or chicken, i don't care for the texture. But this is tender, melt in your mouth, velvety in texture. And the flacore is beautiful. I will be eating it cold out of the jar if I'm not careful!

I turned two jars into a big pan of rabbit divan last night. I'm in heaven šŸ˜View attachment 36975
I LOVE this thread. We are just getting into rabbitry and am always on the lookout for great recipes. Plus the shelf stable part is a major bonus for us. We live on the west coast of florida, so we get some power outages due to storms on occasion.

I LOVE this thread. We are just getting into rabbitry and am always on the lookout for great recipes. Plus the shelf stable part is a major bonus for us. We live on the west coast of florida, so we get some power outages due to storms on occasion.

Remember bone in rabbit cooks 75 minutes for quarts.

Remember bone in rabbit cooks 75 minutes for quarts.

In my original post i did bone in...but i found it such a pain to pick thru. So now i debone everything...set wings aside, and then have great treats for my dog by freezing the bones for her. Remember, if you're feeding bones never feed cooked ones! Cooking is what causes dangerous splintering.

It's more work at the outset, but makes the finished product the closest thing my family gets to convenience food šŸ˜„

Along the same lines, i also grind meat and freeze in pound packages to pull out for quick suppers. Rabbit grinds surprisingly well! I thought it would be too delicate but it holds shape and texture remarkably. I like to use a pound of rabbit and pound of ground beef for amazing burgers.

In my original post i did bone in...but i found it such a pain to pick thru. So now i debone everything...set wings aside, and then have great treats for my dog by freezing the bones for her. Remember, if you're feeding bones never feed cooked ones! Cooking is what causes dangerous splintering.

It's more work at the outset, but makes the finished product the closest thing my family gets to convenience food šŸ˜„

Along the same lines, i also grind meat and freeze in pound packages to pull out for quick suppers. Rabbit grinds surprisingly well! I thought it would be too delicate but it holds shape and texture remarkably. I like to use a pound of rabbit and pound of ground beef for amazing burgers.
I also gring the hearts and livers into the burger mix for an extra nutritional boost.

Back