Canned Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Tree Farm

Reaction score
I hope this is the appropriate place for this. I just wanted to share my canned rabbit experience because no one gets as excited of these things as me!

I pressure canned my first batch this past week, I had 5 large fryers edging on roasters. I cut them up, kept out the wabbit wings for freezing, and had two 6 qt instant pots full. I did brine too, as recommended, but only for an hour.

I cooked it partially for 8 minutes, then hot packed bones and all. Processed for 65 min at 11psi.

When i say this is the best canned meat i have ever tasted...omg. I was skeptical, because while i like the flavors of canned tuna or chicken, i don't care for the texture. But this is tender, melt in your mouth, velvety in texture. And the flacore is beautiful. I will be eating it cold out of the jar if I'm not careful!

I turned two jars into a big pan of rabbit divan last night. I'm in heaven 😁1000002256.jpg

I hope this is the appropriate place for this. I just wanted to share my canned rabbit experience because no one gets as excited of these things as me!

I pressure canned my first batch this past week, I had 5 large fryers edging on roasters. I cut them up, kept out the wabbit wings for freezing, and had two 6 qt instant pots full. I did brine too, as recommended, but only for an hour.

I cooked it partially for 8 minutes, then hot packed bones and all. Processed for 65 min at 11psi.

When i say this is the best canned meat i have ever tasted...omg. I was skeptical, because while i like the flavors of canned tuna or chicken, i don't care for the texture. But this is tender, melt in your mouth, velvety in texture. And the flacore is beautiful. I will be eating it cold out of the jar if I'm not careful!

I turned two jars into a big pan of rabbit divan last night. I'm in heaven 😁View attachment 36975
Fantastic! I am doing the same thing next week for the first time to can. Thanks for the info.

Thinking this thru....I'm going to let mine go thru rigor, which I always do for 2 or 3 days, brine, rinse, smoke, pressure cook. Yea some work but I'll do anything for non MrNA government BS food. Happy fall everybody, we had a hot summer, lost some babies, worked hard, we deserve a nice fall season. Thank you Jesus!

Thinking this thru....I'm going to let mine go thru rigor, which I always do for 2 or 3 days, brine, rinse, smoke, pressure cook. Yea some work but I'll do anything for non MrNA government BS food. Happy fall everybody, we had a hot summer, lost some babies, worked hard, we deserve a nice fall season. Thank you Jesus!
Oh man...they'll be worth the effort tho! I bet smoked rabbit is amazing!

I also always let them go thru rigor...usually 48 hours in an ice bath does the trick.

Oh man...they'll be worth the effort tho! I bet smoked rabbit is amazing!

I also always let them go thru rigor...usually 48 hours in an ice bath does the trick.
Cool. Try smoking with cherry or whatever for maybe an hour then put in the crock pot to finish, EXCELLENT. I use an old weber grill and a little charcoal, a little wood, rabbit off fire to the side. The skin will dry a little crispy. You can cook all the way on the grill if you want but I like finishing in the crock, moist.

Cool. Try smoking with cherry or whatever for maybe an hour then put in the crock pot to finish, EXCELLENT. I use an old weber grill and a little charcoal, a little wood, rabbit off fire to the side. The skin will dry a little crispy. You can cook all the way on the grill if you want but I like finishing in the crock, moist.
Im going to have to up my smoker game.

Cool. All I 've heard about smoking rabbit was that it get's mushy. It's great to know that it's worth a try :)

I've got an old smoker on my premise, an underground fire pit connnected by a 3-4m tunnel to a wooden, iron clad box where you would hang the meat, wasn't used for many decades, but smoked meat definitly would be something great to have.

Although I would feel bad about displacing the wasp colony that has their nest there for years now.

Last edited:
Cool. All I 've heard about smoking rabbit was that it get's mushy. It's great to know that it's worth a try :)

I've got an old smoker on my premise, an underground fire pit connnected by a 3-4m tunnel to a wooden, iron clad box where you would hang the meat, wasn't used for many decades, but smoked meat definitly would be something great to have.

Although I would feel bad about displacing the wasp colony that has their nest there for years now.
Im thinking about purchasing one of those little green eggs. Anyone use them? I need an idiot proof something😁

Latest posts

Back