Cali herd eval

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Aprox three month old girls. My buck kicks so much I didn't want to fuss with him right away, but his pics will be up soon

What do these girls look like? is one better than the rest? They are all full sisters, same litter.

Emma

pict075.jpg

pict076.jpg

Ava

pict077.jpg

pict078.jpg

Delilah

pict079.jpg

pict080.jpg

Emma has good length to her body, I would like to see a slightly wider shoulder on her to balance her overall width. She could use a little more height over her hips and fullness to her loin, which may or may not come with maturity. Excellent points on her too.

Ava: She would be my pick for best. I love the depth she has she looks very smooth over her HQ and carries down to the ground very well, her shoulders could be a tad wider just to create balance over all, and again she could use a touch more fullness to her loin, but she looks very promising.

Delilah: She does look very smooth, but her shoulders are creating a problem, they are long, low and narrow. She could use a little more depth over her hips to balance out her length, but over all it's not that bad. Her hindquarters look a little boxed, but she has the best width to her loin out of the three.

Over all 3 pretty decent does.

Here are pics of my buck. He is just too scared for me to do anything with. I'd love your input on him, too!

1pic003.jpg

1pic004.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:42 am __________<br /><br />oh, yeah, he's about 6 months or so.

He is real skittish and jumpy. Is there something I can do to help him pose normal? He just runs and runs and runs if I am in the cage.

Move slow, talk soft, use patience and lots and lots of treats. My buns love carrot tops, radish leaves, nasturtium leaves and flowers, blackberry leaves, and rose petals (unsprayed). Just give a little bit each time you go by and soon he'll be running to the door to see what you have. When he doesn't retreat, you can start petting him while he eats.

I don't show, I just hate to have everyone huddled at the back of the cage all the time, so I make friends with my breeders.

Handle kits often if you think they might be keepers, I pack my new baby buck around while I do other chores, hold him on his back like an infant, turn him upside down and handle his feet and mouth and tail. He will be sooo much easier to handle than my current freebie buck. He flops in my arms like a cat.

Thank you eco2pia! I imagine this guy won't last as long here as some of the does, it just makes me sad to see him so frightened. I plan on keeping his first nice purebred son. Or if I find a good deal for an equal buck he might go faster.

Tips on taming him were good. :)

eco2pia":2to6r4jb said:
Move slow, talk soft, use patience and lots and lots of treats. My buns love carrot tops, radish leaves, nasturtium leaves and flowers, blackberry leaves, and rose petals (unsprayed). Just give a little bit each time you go by and soon he'll be running to the door to see what you have. When he doesn't retreat, you can start petting him while he eats.

I don't show, I just hate to have everyone huddled at the back of the cage all the time, so I make friends with my breeders.

Handle kits often if you think they might be keepers, I pack my new baby buck around while I do other chores, hold him on his back like an infant, turn him upside down and handle his feet and mouth and tail. He will be sooo much easier to handle than my current freebie buck. He flops in my arms like a cat.
You can feed rabbits nasturtiums? I have a ton of those! At first they were planted because I thought they were pretty-now they have self sown all over the back yard! Thank you for the tips on handling a potential keeper bunny, does he ever go potty on you? What age would you start handling them like that? I plan on handling all the kits from an early age even though I'm breeding for meat-I have a 4 year old and one on the way so I figure better be safe and have very socialized kits.

Is this the buck that you will breed to the sisters? If so he looks like he may help in the shoulder area and possibly in height, though it is a bit hard to see him fully as he did push his hind leg up quite a bit. Hopefully he will get a little calmer and produce some nice babies!

Their shoulders will look more naturally filled in when their front feet aren't set so far forward.

If you're not doing so already, give them about a cup of oats in the mornings and it should help round them out.

And I may be the oddball here, but I kinda like #1 and #2.

mountainrabbits":1kavhtyb said:
You can feed rabbits nasturtiums? I have a ton of those! At first they were planted because I thought they were pretty-now they have self sown all over the back yard! Thank you for the tips on handling a potential keeper bunny, does he ever go potty on you? What age would you start handling them like that? I plan on handling all the kits from an early age even though I'm breeding for meat-I have a 4 year old and one on the way so I figure better be safe and have very socialized kits.

Yes, they love nasturtiums--and YOU can eat the flowers in salads too. If you just break of "branches" rather than pulling the whole plant they will go on producing all summer.

Mostly once the rabbits are past the tiny fuzz-ball stage they don't go potty on you--they will squirm to get down if they have to go, so give them breaks.

SatinsRule":2vwstf0z said:
Their shoulders will look more naturally filled in when their front feet aren't set so far forward.

If you're not doing so already, give them about a cup of oats in the mornings and it should help round them out.

And I may be the oddball here, but I kinda like #1 and #2.

Did you mean a TBL of oats???

None of my rabbits would eat a cup a day, esp if they were getting pellets. Actually, a cup of pellets is all they eat, really.

I no longer have these does or buck anyways, but will send the info to the folks who now own them. :) Thanks guys!

MaggieJ":1w1il5j2 said:
Certainly a cup of oats sounds like way too much! I'd hold off until you get confirmation of the amount.

Thanks for bringing that one to my attention. I meant to type half cup, but got a bit hurried. A half cup of a 50-50 mix of oats and barley are what I've used to get some flesh condition improvements with some of my rabbits. It's worked wonders on Sid.

Latest posts

Back