Breeding and Income Tracking

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theryans813

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I was using Everbreed to track breeding, due dates, nesting dates, number of kits...and it tracks income and expenses too. However, it is around $150/yr. So, I thought before paying for a subscription, I would ask...

WHAT SAY YOU? What do you use? Is it cost effective? Does it work for reminders for upcoming births? Please help.

I don't do much other than writing things down on a calendar, but for a lot cheaper than $150 you could make a manual chart on a whiteboard, possibly a Google Doc

I personally use Kintraks, not sure if it has reminders for due dates, but I know you can input when you bred specific rabbit and also it has income and expenses area (I've only played with that part lightly, so can't say how great it is). But I like it for keeping track of all the rabbits, their personal info, and making pedigrees. It takes some playing with to find all the features, but it is free. So might be worth trying it out and seeing how you like it before paying $150.

I use Rabbit Register by Evans Software Evans Software Services - Rabbit Software

I have used this since 2010 and I absolutely love it. It's really a thorough program which includes pretty much everything other programs have, plus some unique features. Mr. Evans keeps everything up-to-date with ARBA changes, including new breeds, new varieties, licensed ARBA judges, etc. It builds exportable pedigrees that work to share with other RR users, as well as .pdf versions that everyone else can read. You can read about all the features at the link above.

It's not free, but you buy it once; no annual fee, and lifetime updates are free (and they really are - I haven't paid a dime since my initial purchase). The program and your data are on your computer, so nobody else can access them (especially because I keep my rabbit-related finances there, that's important to me), the program and your data are accessible even if the web is down, and your data won't evaporate like it can on a web-based program, if the host quits.

The tech support is phenomenal. I am not a techie (that is putting it very mildly) and Mr. Evans has been super responsive over the years with my stupid questions, as well as my suggestions and requests.

The Deluxe Version costs $20 more than the Standard Version, but it's been so worth it to me. The Deluxe includes a genetics program which not only fills in the genotype of any given variety, but lets you do virtual "test-breeding" to predict what colors might come of any particular pairing. It is also responsive to data entered about animals' offspring, adding information about genotypes retroactively (e.g. if a black doe produces REWs, it adds the recessive c to the doe's genotype).

Best of all, you can get a 30 day trial run for free. The demo is the Deluxe Edition. All data you enter into the demo version (which is on your computer) will transfer directly into the purchased version if/when you buy it, and for me the transition was seamless. If you choose the Standard Edition, all of your data will still be there, you'll just lose the Deluxe Edition features.

So there's my two cents. :)

I use Rabbit Register by Evans Software Evans Software Services - Rabbit Software

I have used this since 2010 and I absolutely love it. It's really a thorough program which includes pretty much everything other programs have, plus some unique features. Mr. Evans keeps everything up-to-date with ARBA changes, including new breeds, new varieties, licensed ARBA judges, etc. It builds exportable pedigrees that work to share with other RR users, as well as .pdf versions that everyone else can read. You can read about all the features at the link above.

It's not free, but you buy it once; no annual fee, and lifetime updates are free (and they really are - I haven't paid a dime since my initial purchase). The program and your data are on your computer, so nobody else can access them (especially because I keep my rabbit-related finances there, that's important to me), the program and your data are accessible even if the web is down, and your data won't evaporate like it can on a web-based program, if the host quits.

The tech support is phenomenal. I am not a techie (that is putting it very mildly) and Mr. Evans has been super responsive over the years with my stupid questions, as well as my suggestions and requests.

The Deluxe Version costs $20 more than the Standard Version, but it's been so worth it to me. The Deluxe includes a genetics program which not only fills in the genotype of any given variety, but lets you do virtual "test-breeding" to predict what colors might come of any particular pairing. It is also responsive to data entered about animals' offspring, adding information about genotypes retroactively (e.g. if a black doe produces REWs, it adds the recessive c to the doe's genotype).

Best of all, you can get a 30 day trial run for free. The demo is the Deluxe Edition. All data you enter into the demo version (which is on your computer) will transfer directly into the purchased version if/when you buy it, and for me the transition was seamless. If you choose the Standard Edition, all of your data will still be there, you'll just lose the Deluxe Edition features.

That looks amazing! And $89 is basically nothing

That looks amazing! And $89 is basically nothing
Yeah, at this point I've paid less than $6.50/year for unlimited assistance, and the amount goes down each year. Did I mention I'm technologically challenged? :rolleyes:

One of the features I recently discovered (I'm sure I'm only tapping about 10% of what this program can do) is that I can calculate the amount of money made for me by each animal in my herd. To my astonishment, over five years, one of my best (and most prolific) bucks produced over $2,100 in bunny sales!!!

I can also look back over production records and track does that have unusual mortality in their kits, annual or seasonal changes in production, etc. This is how I discovered that most of my litter losses were in the months of December and January, and how I traced the tendency to malocclusion in our Polish to a particular Polish buck.

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point I've paid less than $6.50/year for unlimited assistance, and the amount goes down each year. Did I mention I'm technologically challenged? :rolleyes:

One of the features I recently discovered (I'm sure I'm only tapping about 10% of what this program can do) is that I can calculate the amount of money made for me by each animal in my herd. To my astonishment, over five years, one of my best (and most prolific) bucks produced over $2,100 in bunny sales!!!

I can also look back over production records and track does that have unusual mortality in their kits, annual or seasonal changes in production, etc. This is how I discovered that most of my litter losses were in the months of December and January, and how I traced the tendency to malocclusion in our Polish to a particular Polish buck.
Does it have anything to reimburse it's self for meat harvested? Or would I need to make a "sale" and "pay" myself whatever I'm planning on charging myself for meat?

And do you know if it has wool sales? Neither are a make or break situation, just curious.

Does having it on your computer own mean you lose everything if your computer crashes?

I personally use Kintraks, not sure if it has reminders for due dates, but I know you can input when you bred specific rabbit and also it has income and expenses area (I've only played with that part lightly, so can't say how great it is). But I like it for keeping track of all the rabbits, their personal info, and making pedigrees. It takes some playing with to find all the features, but it is free. So might be worth trying it out and seeing how you like it before paying $150.
I can't get it to work on my chromebook.

Would it work on a chrome book? I don't think I have another computer.

I'm in the process of loading all my data so that's a relief! I was trying Everbreed but Evans looks much more comprehensive. I'm glad I found this before my trial expired!
Ok, I found where i saw that. Looks like it's the deluxe version but here is what it says:
"Stores data in your (free) Microsoft OneDrive account. This eliminates the need for backups and allows multiple computers to share the data. It is NOT intended for simultaneous data entry, but each machine can be used for data entry within the timing constraints of OneDrive."
Evans Software Services - Rabbit Software

Just to know that people have had trouble with One Drive arbitrarily deleting important documents, so I would also back up to a USB thumb drive or the like.
Yeah, I despise Big Brother OneDrive. I've tried to root it out twice but it keeps coming back (I'll freely admit to being technologically challenged). And it has taken files with it both times, only to reengage its ugly claws in my computer without returning my files. Currently my approach is to leave it full. It has a lot of my information that I don't want it to have - I don't want my personal photos floating around in the ethosphere for whomever to view - but at least it can't take any more (or so it claims, anyway).

However, Rabbit Register give you a monthly prompt to do a back-up. You can choose the path to which to save your files. I back all my stuff up on an external hard drive (take that, creepy OneDrive!).
Does having it on your computer own mean you lose everything if your computer crashes?
I did have my computer crash. That was when I became a 100% loyal fan of Evans Software. Mr. Evans guided me through dredging out all my data and importing it into a new copy of Rabbit Register on my new computer (no charge). Outstanding. 😁

Now I back-up on a hard drive so it won't be such a task. Incidentally, you can keep photos of each rabbit (several for each rabbit, with a primary selected by you), and toggle pedigrees between showing data or showing a photo. I really like to be able to look at the photos of each animal on a pedigree. It does take storage space, though. My photos currently take up about 493 Mb (which isn't even close to maxing out my pretty ancient external hard drive).

Last edited:
Would it work on a chrome book? I don't think I have another computer.
Hi. I've never used Chromebook, but my understanding is you can only run web based apps and apps from the Google Play Store. Chromebook seems to me a portal to the internet, any functional apps have to be web based, not local.

There is a way to run Windows based programs, sort of, but you have to 'remote in' (remote desktop connection) to an actual Windows computer that has the software installed. Be prepared for lag unless both computers are on a high speed connection. There are other ways but it appears tricky.

Don't hold me to this, as mentioned I haven't used Chromebook, because of the perceived limitations. Hopefully someone will jump in with a solution.

Yeah, I despise Big Brother OneDrive . . .
(take that, creepy OneDrive!)
That made me laugh out loud.

I didn't have any trouble getting rid of OneDrive, but using it did annoy me for some reason. If I recall there are certain versions of Windows where it's hard coded, you can't uninstall. There is a way to hide it, get rid of the sync between local and cloud and then delete the OneDrive folder. Something like that, it's been a while since I used Windows as my OS. Regardless, I never saw OneDrive again.
Now I back-up on a hard drive so it won't be such a task. Incidentally, you can keep photos of each rabbit (several for each rabbit, with a primary selected by you), and toggle pedigrees between showing data or showing a photo. I really like to be able to look at the photos of each animal on a pedigree. It does take storage space, though. My photos currently take up about 493 Mb (which isn't even close to maxing out my pretty ancient external hard drive).
Those are good measures for backups. It's not if, but when data will be corrupted. Hope I'm not overstepping, but all of your data including backups are they all onsite, local? If there was a fire, theft, flood etc. it could possibly all go away.

Since we aren't fans of OneDrive there are other cloud storage solutions you may want to consider. If you've ever logged into Google, have a Gmail account, YouTube etc. you have 15GB of free storage space available. Approximately 30 times the current amount of the "493 MB" you mentioned. I've used it for several years and never a missing nor corrupted file yet.

I suspect you know all of this anyway, but I hope something is useful, or at least doesn't bore you too much :)

Thanks for all the practical rabbit information you give, it helps a lot. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back