1st time deboning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished deboning my first rabbit. It was messy, and nothing like the videos I watched. But I didn't cut myself.
The end product was 2lbs. 12 oz. Of meat and 1 lb. of bone. But I didn't weigh the head, pelt or feet so I can't calculate bone to meat ratio.
Now to try the canning part.

Last edited:
I just finished deboning my first rabbit. It was messy, and nothing like the videos I watched. But I didn't cut myself.
The end product was 2lbs. 12 oz. Of meat and 1 lb. of bone. But I didn't weigh the head, pelt or feet so I can't calculate bone to meat ratio.
Now to try the canning part.

Not sure how I missed this. I'm interested in both the processing and the canning. How did it go?

Not sure how I missed this. I'm interested in both the processing and the canning. How did it go?
I took the bones and made a tasty broth. Stuffed the meat in 1qt jars, added a tidge of broth for seaoning, and pressure canned for 75 min. At 12lbs for my altitude. However, I have done it again since then. I no longer de bone to can. Its not necessary. And my knife skills are lacking. Along with my patience to do it.

I don't usually cook whole rabbit because my husband dislikes eating around all the tiny bones. I use a really sharp boning knife and debone most of my meaties. I grind the meat up in my food processor and use it to make fried or grilled patties for burgers, breakfast sausage, chile, tacos, etc. One deboned rabbit will make enough ground meat for 4 or 5 good sized patties for burgers, then soup broth from the bones and pate from the livers.

Latest posts

Back