Register

Question on Breeding AOV to Tan Pattern (Woolies)

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,380.00

Question on Breeding AOV to Tan Pattern (Woolies)

Post Number:#1  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello,
I raise Jersey Woolies and I'm looking at getting a gorgeous Pointed White Jersey Wooly doe at Nationals. All I have is black otter, so she'd be bred to my black otter buck eventually, if I decide to purchase her. Is breeding a black otter to a pointed White a no-no? What colors would I get in the offspring?
Thanks in advance!

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,098.00

Re: Question on Breeding AOV to Tan Pattern (Woolies)

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 pm

It all depends on what other genetics the pointed white / Himalayan

Any information on the pointed whites parents, siblings, offspring etc...

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,007.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 am

It's not ideal. First generation has a good chance of just being otters (maybe some sable martens, blacks or pointed white martens mixed in depending on what the otter carries. The colors of this breeding are largely dependent on the otter, since the pointed white is recessive on both the A and C genes. ) but when you get pointed white and tan pattern expressing on the same rabbit you get pointed white martens, which aren't recognized
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,380.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Thu May 03, 2018 6:48 am

Okay, thank you both. As for what colors the parents were, it is my understanding that this breeder has been breeding pointed White to pointed White for three generations in this rabbit's pedigree. All her siblings are pointed White as well. Wouldknow what colors/color groups would be ideal to breed to black otter?

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,098.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Dood » Thu May 03, 2018 7:58 am

Well that's not much help :x

Thankfully, like most long furred breeds, Woolies accept a lot of colours and the biggest issue would be if non-extension is hiding in the pointed white as tort otters are not showable

You'll most likely get chestnuts or black otters or blacks and possibly martens or PW if the otter carries a recessive on its C-locus

It should be very interesting :P