Putting rabbits outside

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Witbeck

Reaction score
Hello

I’m Alex Witbeck, thanks for adding me!

I purchased 3 rabbits 1 male two does in the middle of January this year, as far as I know they have never been outside of there cages.

The rabbits now are kept in a well ventilated shed in separate cages.

I have an outdoor caged enclosure that I put the other 2 rabbits in so they can be rabbits!

I have a Doe that gave birth to 4 kits the 13 of last month (4-13-24) they are about 4 weeks old.

I have a question: Can I put the doe (that had kits) in the outdoor caged enclosure by herself leaving the kits in the nesting box in the cage or should I take the doe and kits outside (the kits have not come out of the nesting box into the cage yet) it’s currently 72 and sunny with a small breeze! Or should I keep them I the shed till they get older?

I can block off part of the enclosure to block the wind from hitting the kits

This is my 1st time raising kits

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The kits who have not left the box will be happier left behind for a bit. The big wide world will likely just scare them, and depending on what the mesh size is on the outdoor run they might be able to escape. Mama can leave them for a bit during the day if she is happy about it. If she seems anxious I would just wait a week or two until they can go together.

The kits who have not left the box will be happier left behind for a bit. The big wide world will likely just scare them, and depending on what the mesh size is on the outdoor run they might be able to escape. Mama can leave them for a bit during the day if she is happy about it. If she seems anxious I would just wait a week or two until they can go together.
Thanks! And how many weeks old before they get out of the box?

What nestbox design do you use? Mine are side entrance, closed ones that are permanently in the hutches, the kits can get easy in and out once mobile. If you use one with top entrance you can just turn it on its side and make a nest with hay.

They'll return there for nursing and sleeping in a pile for some more time.

They'll start to try and get out of the nest box when they open their eyes and I usually change it to something else whe

What nestbox design do you use? Mine are side entrance, closed ones that are permanently in the hutches, the kits can get easy in and out once mobile. If you use one with top entrance you can just turn it on its side and make a nest with hay.

They'll return there for nursing and sleeping in a pile for some more time.
At the moment I built my own, they are top entrance with a scraper lip on the front, I am probably going to switch over to a side entrance box. They seam easier to clean, although what about the rabbit jumping on top of the nestbox to get away from the kits?

P.S. I had found your pics on another thread on your side entry boxes

Hello

I’m Alex Witbeck, thanks for adding me!

I purchased 3 rabbits 1 male two does in the middle of January this year, as far as I know they have never been outside of there cages.

The rabbits now are kept in a well ventilated shed in separate cages.

I have an outdoor caged enclosure that I put the other 2 rabbits in so they can be rabbits!

I have a Doe that gave birth to 4 kits the 13 of last month (4-13-24) they are about 4 weeks old.

I have a question: Can I put the doe (that had kits) in the outdoor caged enclosure by herself leaving the kits in the nesting box in the cage or should I take the doe and kits outside (the kits have not come out of the nesting box into the cage yet) it’s currently 72 and sunny with a small breeze! Or should I keep them I the shed till they get older?

I can block off part of the enclosure to block the wind from hitting the kits

This is my 1st time raising kits

Thanks for any help you can offer!
I live in Canada and all my rabbits live naturally. My breeding animals are one buck and 8 does. They live happily the way nature intended. My first litter this year came out of the hole mid January in -40 . They love the cold!

Attachments

• att.7TqOJfhD9jK46LhZjalwIX7S2wQ5Hceq3_oDB3k9FOc.mp4
    10.6 MB
  • IMG_8035.jpeg
    IMG_8035.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8009.jpeg
    IMG_8009.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8010.jpeg
    IMG_8010.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8007.jpeg
    IMG_8007.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7858.jpeg
    IMG_7858.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7852.jpeg
    IMG_7852.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I live in Canada and all my rabbits live naturally. My breeding animals are one buck and 8 does. They live happily the way nature intended. My first litter this year came out of the hole mid January in -40 . They love the cold!
How big of a space do u have for them? I’m going to move to colony. I’ve read 10 sq ft per rabbit. Is that correct?

How big of a space do u have for them? I’m going to move to colony. I’ve read 10 sq ft per rabbit. Is that correct?
Dana's book on colony raising suggests 20' for does and their kits, 10 for buck. Spaces will function bigger by giving them shelves , things to hide under, in, or on top of. They will cuddle together in a smaller shelter if given free access to a yard and more hiding spaces. Rabbit Warrens set up is awesome! Not all of us can do that. My space is about 35' x 35' divided into 2 family groups and 2 grow out pens, group housing in each. Except the young bucks. They have several smaller shelters (old toy chest, 50 gallon barrel, wooden shelters.they can be under, on top, or in... .if you can let them burrow as rabbit Warren does.they will happily build their own. Have fun! We and our silver fox love our colonies.

Okay thanks! I will look into removing the nest box, their eyes have been open for about a week and a half.
They will be out soon. I let my doe out to eat greens daily. She kindled 2 days ago. I have a big front entry box and I leave it in the doe's cage all the time until it gets real hot. Whatever works for you!

Dana's book on colony raising suggests 20' for does and their kits, 10 for buck. Spaces will function bigger by giving them shelves , things to hide under, in, or on top of. They will cuddle together in a smaller shelter if given free access to a yard and more hiding spaces. Rabbit Warrens set up is awesome! Not all of us can do that. My space is about 35' x 35' divided into 2 family groups and 2 grow out pens, group housing in each. Except the young bucks. They have several smaller shelters (old toy chest, 50 gallon barrel, wooden shelters.they can be under, on top, or in... .if you can let them burrow as rabbit Warren does.they will happily build their own. Have fun! We and our silver fox love our colonies.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0355LtmiHt5TmJhatrOYKOIYQ

Back