Pin Worms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
What I've learned about them

Pin Worms

Did you know that the pin worms are quite common in rabbits?
It is one of the reasons why rabbitries worm their rabbits once or twice a year.

From the Merck Veternariary Manual http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171336.htm
Passalurus ambiguus , the rabbit pinworm, usually is not clinically significant but often is upsetting to owners. It is common in many rabbitries and is distributed worldwide. Transmission is by ingestion of contaminated food or water. The adult worm lives in the cecum or anterior colon. Diagnosis is made by observing the adults at necropsy or by finding the eggs during examination of the feces. Single treatments are not very effective because the life cycle is direct and reinfection is common. Piperazine citrates in the water (3 g/L) for alternating 2-wk periods or fenbendazole (50 ppm in feed for 5 days) are effective treatments. Rabbit pinworms are not transmissible to humans.

One can also administer 0.05 ml/lb of panacur once every 14 days.
Ivermectin can be used as well, but one needs to check the label to see if it gets pinworms as not all do. Ivermectin liquid is administered at a rate of Ivermectin (0.018cc/lb of the 1% injectable), once every 14 days. Exactly how to administer I am still researching.

I know that people can use horsewormer paste and that many do quite successfully, and I've used it in the past without issue. But after doing some research and finding out how often that can go wrong, I can't quite recommend giving the horsewormer paste. :) Ivermectin toxicity is not something fun to deal with. But lots of people use it.

Pets and Animals tells us this http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/internal-parasites-rabbits.aspx
Passalurus ambiguus —rabbit pinworm located in cecum and large intestine. The infestation with these worms usually has no clinical signs, even in heavy infections. Treatment: Piperazine for two days in food or water; fenbendazole 50 ppm in feed for 5 days. Rabbits get infected through ingestion of contaminated food and water. spores are shed in the urine and can remain viable for months. Rabbit pinworms are not transmissible to humans. Pinworms are extremely common in rabbits and may be difficult to prevent even with good sanitation.

From Rabbitweb we find http://www.rabbitweb.net/health-problems.asp
pinworms: Small, wormlike parasites that can infest a rabbit's large intestine and ceacum. If a rabbit has pinworms, the thin white worms can sometimes be seen in the rabbit's droppings or around the anus. Rabbits with pinworms might lose weight or have trouble gaining it. The condition is contagious among rabbits and can be transmitted when a rabbit ingests the eggs from a pinworm.

anyone else have anything to add?

Latest posts

Back