Register

Has anyone brought Newborn Kits back to life?

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 91.00

Re: Has anyone brought Newborn Kits back to life?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby TornadoRed » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks MaggieJ for the quick response. It's been about 2 hours and they are toasty warm and unresponsive. The upside is that I have had an opportunity to really look at a new born kit. Text-books are no match for a first hand inspection. I think they might be boys, the 'parts' are on the outside.

I took them to work with me. They are on my desk in a box wrapped in the towel on a heating pad. Out of sheer persistence I will give them another hour. My co-workers are very interested in the box. Being Dogs, I expect they think I am warming scooby snacks. ;)

Have a blessed day.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,105.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am

You might try rubbing them a bit but usually, if they are warm and still unresponsive, they are gone.

New born kits are very difficult to sex. I always just wait until they are around 6 weeks.

topic6152.html

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
TornadoRed

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,235.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 pm

I've actually done it twice now.
1st, 2 babies fell out of the nest. Took them to the freezer for later selling as snake food. Took me maybe 5min to take them there? and once I went to put them in the freezer bag one came back to life from just my hand's warmth. The 2nd kit never came back though.
2nd, 3 babies got too cold from lack of nest fur, put them on the heater, 1 came back, 2 didnt.

No point insisting for more then 10min, even if you did manage to rez them at that point the brain damage from lack of oxygen would be too severe.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
TornadoRed

United States of America

Post Number:#19  Unread postby TornadoRed » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am

A fabulous update :)

I got baby bunnies! :)

So, the two kits born outside of the box did not make it. Such is life. But Money Bunny (she's a calico) had 2 others in the box and they seem to be doing very well this morning. I gave her a treat and inspected the box. They were wiggly and pink and toasty warm.

AND Alice the white rabbit had 2 this morning. In the box. She had kindled last month outside of the box and those both died. This month she figured it out. I was keeping a close eye on her, she started pulling fur this morning and now has two in the box. I thought they 'prepped' for a day before? She did not have any fur in there until this morning. Is that normal?

I didn't realize she had kindled when I was checking on her. I was just checking the depth of fluff in the box when I found them. She wasn't too unhappy about that, she wasn't thrilled either. I think she might have more and because I was 'touching things' and messing up her world, I plan to check about every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, which I can do without bothering her. Will my smell bother her? (I do shower...)

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 am

TornadoRed, Alice will likely have more. Your smell won't bother her, but messing with her before she is done could. So be sure to check her without bothering her.

Does often don't pull fur ahead of time. These things are all instinct-driven and the urge to pull fur may happen before, during or after.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,966.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am

MaggieJ wrote:TornadoRed, Alice will likely have more. Your smell won't bother her, but messing with her before she is done could. So be sure to check her without bothering her.

Does often don't pull fur ahead of time. These things are all instinct-driven and the urge to pull fur may happen before, during or after.

:yeahthat:

Mine ALWAYS wait until the last second to pull fur. I've only had one that didn't also wait until the day/night before to build her nest. Also as far as scent goes, I have a doe that was aggressive over just about everything and my whole existence during the pregnancy not give a crap about me touching the nest when she was cleaning and prepping her fur for pulling. She gave me 7 and takes care of them beautifully even though I look them over twice a day to for management. Otherwise so far with my other does, one even lets me "help" with the whole thing, and the others don't care about my existence as long as I'm quiet and gentle with the babies. Just so no one gets confused though my "helping" the one doe is I get to pick up a handful of hay and hand it to her to take to the nest when she is building, and she prefers me to gently stroke her back during kindling. I feel quite honered by her. She will get upset with me though if I don't help, and she doesn't care why I didn't :lol:
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

The following user would like to thank TeaTimeBunnies for this post
TornadoRed

United States of America

Post Number:#22  Unread postby TornadoRed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:12 am

@MaggieJ, Alice didn't have anymore, so in my usual screw-it-up-in-reverse in manner I didn't mess it up! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful knowledge.

I checked the boxes this morning and Money Bunny has 3, Alice has 2. Everyone has nice fat little bellies.

Money had her litter in her rabbit box. The hutches I inherited were pretty open, all wire/metal cloth with nowhere to get out of the elements other than the roof and two side walls. I put in plastic kitty litter buckets and bolted them to the side wall. There is just a little lip to keep the straw in place. She had her litter in that. She built quite an elaborate fluffy nest and got everything 'just so'. She didn't seem to mind the kindle box, it was good for sleeping in and raiding for nesting material.

This morning I moved her kits out of her box and in to the kindle box. I just picked up the whole nest and moved it over. She was not pleased. She growled (?) and sort-of tried to nip at me. It was kind of funny. I then petted her the way she likes and she calmed down. I had given her some treats before the inspection and I gave her a little more while I was petting her.

After I moved away she inspected the nest, made sure everyone was still in there, and then she climbed in. I think she nursed them. It looked like it from everything i have read. She must be satisfied with the arrangement.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who responded to me. This is a really nice community.

Previous