cage size & supplies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what is the recommended size cage is for mini rex bucks and flemish mixed does? What do you all use for the supports under them? I was thinking maybe some rebar or even old pieces of a metal bed frame. (My father has some he uses them for random projects)

Also I plan on attaching a hutch. The bottom will be screened so it has a permanent bottom but I'll cover that with a removable piece of wood to add more warmth in the winter. During the spring, summer and fall, I'll have the hutch area closed off. Only allowing access in the winter, I can stuff it with lots of hay and not feel bad that they are outside. Then come spring, I can close it off until next winter, clean it out good, take the wood out, do a bleach water spray (unless someone can recommend a different cleaner) and let it dry in the sun. Once completely dry, pop it back in for next year.
thoughts on this idea? I could just use the screened bottom without the wood but it would be hard to dig the hay all off the screen.

Also if I plan to eventually have 6 breeding does (assume all flemish mixes for now) and the 2 bucks. What size roll should I buy? Can anyone recommend a place to get it at a decent price? I would prefer the GAW stuff but depending on money..

Thanks for reading :)

alforddm The sizes on that PDF seem a little on the small size. I do see that they are meant as the absolute minimum. Just seems like the minimum should be larger. :x

For a doe 8.8-11.9lbs gets 6 square feet, that not even a 2.5'x2.5' cage. And only a height of 14''.

I raise NZWs. My does range from 9-11Lbs. Each doe has a 2'Tx2'Dx4'L with a 1'X2' shelf that sits 12'' up from the cage floor. With a litter of 5 and the doe those cages get a little cramped around 7-8wks in.
036 (500x375).jpg
007 (400x300).jpg

My bucks are NWZ/Cal and are right around 9lbs each. Their cages are 2'x2'x3'. When the older buck stretches out he can almost reach both walls. :x
065 (500x375).jpg

Am planning to add some 18''Tx2'Dx2'L grow out cages above the breeding cages, 8 in total. That way doe 1's grow outs are right above her, 1 for does and 1 for bucks. These are quite a bit smaller but they aren't in going to be in them for very long. :twisted: :dinner:

Hope this helps,
Cathy

I like the 48x24x18 cages for my rabbits, which average around 8lbs. More headroom would have been OK too, but it wasn't offered at the time of cage ordering.
I do have a couple smaller cages that I put juniors or bucks in, but I feel my does and their litters (7-12 kits at weaning usually) need at least this much room. Weaning age is definitely a contributing factor to cage space requirements. I wean in the 6-8 week range.

My cage supplier was klubbertanz. I love the cages, but hate the waiting time. :roll:

Attachments

• GEDC5344.JPG
    GEDC5344.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 965
Back