Anyone's litters picture thread!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has such lovely popples. :love:

I don't think I got and magpie kits here, and I was warned about getting washed out japs from breeding to magpie. The plan is to breed the best back to magpie. We'll see. I might just have to get myself a jap buck too :mrgreen:

This may be my last litter until late summer. My husband scheduled a 10 day family vacation around the 4th(of July). For ease of care, It just seems impractical to have nursing does or weanlings here at the time. So... there is one more girl who might be pregnant. And then, they all wait until June to get re-bred. :cry:

That's why I'm selling out of most of my mature does. It just seems more practical to move the older girls along and use the two month break to grow out the next generation.

Attachments

• GEDC4286.JPG
    GEDC4286.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 987
  • GEDC4283.JPG
    GEDC4283.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 987
JenerationX":1lbp93eu said:
Alrighty... harlequin and magpie now straight in my head. Thanks Zass.

I was going to say the same thing. It looks as if a magpie has the harli type pattern, but lacks the red element. :shrug:

The splitface harli is really cute too :)

Syberchick70":2evcjxdt said:
JenerationX":2evcjxdt said:
Alrighty... harlequin and magpie now straight in my head. Thanks Zass.

I was going to say the same thing. It looks as if a magpie has the harli type pattern, but lacks the red element. :shrug:

The split face harli is really cute too :)

The same gene that makes an agouti into a chinchilla, or a fawn into a frosty(ermine)
(cchd) also takes the reddish tones out of a harlequin and leaves the orange parts white.

genotype wise:

Jap:
A_ __ C_ __ ej_
Agouti (A), full Color (C)extension japanese (ej)

Magpie:
A_ __ cchd __ ej_
Agouti (A , chinchilla dark (cchd) extension japanese(ej).

The rest are blank because dilute, chocolate, and lilac varieties are accepted, and anything recessive to those genes can be present invisibly.

Zass":1bi25j46 said:
Jap:
A_ __ C_ __ ej_

Magpie:
A_ __ cchd __ ej_

Who makes all this stuff up? :shock:

skysthelimit":1bi25j46 said:
French Angora kits, two different litters, 10 days apart

I believe now they are both chocolate tort

Beautiful kits, Sky! :D

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":2o18w38t said:
Zass":2o18w38t said:
Jap:
A_ __ C_ __ ej_

Magpie:
A_ __ cchd __ ej_

Well...the rabbits make colors themselves by passing on their genes. ;)

The genotype letters are just a way of recording the most well understood alleles on the 5 main loci (chromosome locations) that dictate what color a rabbit will be. I'm not really sure who came up with the code we use.
This site has a good explanation of it though:

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-c ... etics.html

The letters tend to spread across species so the answer would be in the first animal we studied color genetics on. B is black and b is brown in all animals. A often has different names but it exists in every species. There are a few special genes to each species. Like En is the spotting gene in rabbits, Sp is a spotted gerbil, and you don't want to get in to spotting/splash on horses because there are 2 seperate main genes and then 3 versions for 3 different pattern styles in one of the gene sets. Once you understand a simple animal (gerbils are an easy start) you can apply most of it to other animals.

Dood":2fqoudj4 said:
Bunny-Wan Kenobi":2fqoudj4 said:
Zass":2fqoudj4 said:
Jap:
A_ __ C_ __ ej_

Magpie:
A_ __ cchd __ ej_

Gregor Mendel - http://www.famousscientists.org/gregor-mendel/

I assumed it came from his pea experiments (it was peas right? Or some kind of beans I don't eat, lol) <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 am __________ <br /><br />
akane":2fqoudj4 said:
The letters tend to spread across species so the answer would be in the first animal we studied color genetics on. B is black and b is brown in all animals. A often has different names but it exists in every species. There are a few special genes to each species. Like En is the spotting gene in rabbits, Sp is a spotted gerbil, and you don't want to get in to spotting/splash on horses because there are 2 seperate main genes and then 3 versions for 3 different pattern styles in one of the gene sets. Once you understand a simple animal (gerbils are an easy start) you can apply most of it to other animals.

Often people ask me how I first learned about genetics.
I kind of helps that I was a school teacher, but mostly, like you said, it's the same across species. When I started breeding dogs, I studied alleles. German Shepherds come in so few accepted colors, but they correspond to the rabbit colors easily. I raise Agouti, Tan pattern and Self rabbits, I also raise Agouti (Sable), Tan pattern and Self Black German Shepherds.

This is my kind of first-time doe. :D
Both runts have full bellies.
I was warned about washed out color and white marks on japs from breeding to magpie, and I promised I wouldn't sell any japs from the cross as pedigreed harlequins, to help protect the breeder's reputation. I'll only have pedigreeed stock if I manage to produce some nice magpies in the next generation.

I'm really happy that the pairing seems to be able to produce nice face splits. I'm not a sure about what is necessary for the chest and feet markings. I know white spots are DQ.

Rainey, if you see this. This little doeling had 9, and I haven't done any litter splitting or kit culling to get everyone fed. She's just a good nurser who had her milk come in heavy and fast.
She gets weedy hay, 16% protein alfalfa cubes, boss, oats, fresh greens or veggie scraps, and pellets.

Attachments

• GEDC4391.JPG
    GEDC4391.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 906
  • GEDC4419.JPG
    GEDC4419.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 906
  • GEDC4444.JPG
    GEDC4444.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 906
oh.my.gosh.... those kits are beautiful!!!!

Now, just put some loppy ears on them... :twisted: <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:57 pm __________ <br /><br /> I wonder if a magpie buck would have the same negative effects on a chestnut doe that a harli would.. hmmmmm

Congratulations, Zass. They're beautiful--and well fed. I don't expect to ever see the colors and coats you are breeding for but I hope to eventually get decent sized litters that all survive and are healthy.

Syberchick70":2bpqlfsu said:
I wonder if a magpie buck would have the same negative effects on a chestnut doe that a harli would.. hmmmmm

Possibly. The chin gene is the complete opposite of Chestnut, striping away rufus, possibly causing graying in the coat.

Here are the last four of Lexi's nine that she had at the beginning of March! The others were sold to my sister at the beginning of this month along with Fiona and her 7 (I kept 2 of Fiona's). Left to Right: Blushes, ShyBoy, Bowtie, and Butterfly. I really like the dark face on Butterfly. (No, I haven't figured out genders yet, and other than ShyBoy, they're named more for their spotting LOL.)

I really need to post a picture of Evelyn and Timber, the two from Fiona I kept! Evelyn has a nice "bigness" about her which means she didn't get Trooper's dwarfiness, and her agouti has more black to it than Timber. I'm not too impressed with Timber's body type, but I do like how he has a lot of rufousness to his agouti, so hopefully he'll throw some nice rufus babies.

Attachments

• Abc 108a.jpg
    Abc 108a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 764
Yes! My first post on this thread. I noticed about 3 pm that Avista looked slightly pink and as a BEW Bevern that's abmormal. Went out there and there are 7 (if I counted right) in the nest box.

Picture to come later, on my phone

-edit-

I thought a video would be better. :D

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbtxXnof1bw[/youtube]

Back