Nest box eye???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the update for the nest box eye??? well today I cleaned the eye and saw on only one eye the transparent like contact lens is now the color of white. I also noticed the contact like white lens shown in the images is now like glued on to the actual eyeball. But the good thing is the other eye has no contact lens at all. That was the eye that stayed closed after I clean it. The other eye now remains partly open.

I'm all for trying to save an animals life, truly and honestly. Heck I even brought a hamster to the vets before.

But to me it truly looks painful. I was cringing when I read you were trying to wipe the eye clean of whatever that was on the eye.. If it truly was part of an eyeball, I can't imagine the pain!

I know you're trying to help this baby and your heart is in the right place. We need more people like you who truly care.. But if it were me, I would put this poor baby to sleep..

Maybe the bunny can live a great life even if blind. But I think a vet would need to assess it. If the eye(s) are badly damaged, they could become infected..

I wish you & this kit the best..

Theres a lot of people telling me to cull it or clean the eyes everyday and now I am getting another piece of advice about letting the baby sleep. I am just confused :? Will someone please tell me what to do!!! :?

iloverabbits18":1v1n3wkk said:
Theres a lot of people telling me to cull it or clean the eyes everyday and now I am getting another piece of advice about letting the baby sleep. I am just confused :? Will someone please tell me what to do!!! :?

I think they were saying "put it to sleep" as in, terminally cull it. If it were in my herd, that is what I would do. It's not an easy decision, but part of breeding rabbits unfortunately. I had to cull an entire litter of cute fluffy 5 week old kits and the doe because of pasteurella (it was underlying, I had some suspicions but it took that long to show full blown symptoms). That was not easy, but it was what needed to be done. There is a good chance the kit is suffering at this point...

If I let that kit live would the eye affect its way of life. I would really hate to cull the kit so is there a chance the kit may become blind. I mean one eye has cleared up. Would it affect how it moves around and eats???

iloverabbits18":1w4q93px said:
If I let that kit live would the eye affect its way of life. I would really hate to cull the kit so is there a chance the kit may become blind. I mean one eye has cleared up. Would it affect how it moves around and eats???

There's no way to know 100%, for sure, what the eyes will do as it gets older, but you have to think through what your plans might be if you do end up with a "special needs" rabbit - not many people are going to want to take that responsibility on (if you are selling them for pets), and if it is a genetic issue, it doesn't need to be a part of your breeding stock (or anyone else's). If the lenses pictured above were damaged, then even though the eye appears to have cleared up, it doesn't mean there isn't long term damage that it won't be able to overcome.

Well today I cleaned up the eyes and opened them up and found there was no eye ball. It was just a strange white goo inside and the contact like lens. Does this mean the kit is blind??? :(

iloverabbits18":3esfl6i4 said:
Well today I cleaned up the eyes and opened them up and found there was no eye ball. It was just a strange white goo inside and the contact like lens. Does this mean the kit is blind??? :(

If there is no eyeball then yes the kit will be blind on that side.

I think that you need to terminally cull the kit as I originally suggested. At this point you are just prolonging the suffering of an animal that really has no chance of a normal life.

The kit will undoubtedly need some type of ongoing care, and unfortunately many pet owners fail to provide even basic care to their pets, so expecting someone to commit to even more for a "special needs animal" is unrealistic.

Please be kind and put the kit down to prevent a life of suffering.

Ok ill make sure to cull it soon Thanks for all the advice!:)

-- Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:15 pm --

t <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am -- <br /><br /> thx the rabbit now is blind and i still have her. She is happy and healthy and her name is scruffy

Latest posts

Back