Nipples...females and males???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
Do only female rabbits have nipples? Is finding nipples on a brand new baby bunny an accurate way to determine sex?

I had read that as well, but it seems like I have a lot of does in this litter if it's true. Nipples don't really show up on the lighter kits, but are quite obvious on the darker ones. Once they fur out they're hidden. I was hoping I might have come across a helpful trick!

MamaSheepdog":33bka96n said:
All mammals have nipples, whether they are male or female.

i was researching hamsters and the couple breeds i read into one way to sex was that females had nipples and males did not.
perhaps you just couldnt see a male hamsters nipples?

MamaMandy":1ud3sw16 said:
Do only female rabbits have nipples? Is finding nipples on a brand new baby bunny an accurate way to determine sex?

In my opinion: No, it is not!
The best way and only way to properly Sex a Rabbit,
is to look at it's genital area. By placing a thumb
and finger across and gently pressing you will observe
either an upright tiny stove pipe looking Male organ.
If you witness a Taco looking appendage which is
attached near the anus, you are seeing a Female organ.
As always, JMPO,I hope it helps.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

All mammals have nipples but supposedly the female newborns are more prominent than males, but I have never been able to reliably sex rodents on that alone.

I know that even when looking 'down there' it can be hard to tell as the 'sex change fairy' shows up in many rabbitries, but it is the most reliable way, short of having a litter of babies.

All Mammals have nipples, boys and girls. In female babies, the hormonal level associated with lactation will sometimes enlarge the nipples.

my ex was looking over our son for the first time-- got this weird look on his face, and asked his mother-- what is wrong with his chest? His mother laughed-- "those are nipples, you have them too!"-- Thank heavens our boy didn't develop the 'witches milk' the way the younger daughters did!!

When skinning rabbits I've found that the female nipples leave tiny holes in the hide but the males don't seem to have nipples at all. Just my observation. I"ll have to look closer next time and see if I can see nipples on the males.

Hmm...this is all very interesting info! I know when I had googled it before everything I found said that only female rabbits have nipples. It does seem like it would be an across the board thing, like MSD said, that all mammals have nipples. But, it sounds like Kyle and BlueLove are finding contrary evidence.

Latest posts

Back