Zoning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So I was looking at a horse in Colorado Springs that I really like but my mom says that we aren't zoned for horses, does it cost money to get your property zoned? Do you have to be Zoned for rabbits?

Being zoned means that you can keep x on x area of land, there is no way to apply for zoning for animals. Its not like applying for a property zoning permit to build some thing that the regular zoning won't allow. You'd have to contact local court house and ask (or ag department...or both). I kept a low key as some are not animal friendly or livestock friendly.

When I called to check I did tell them my name and a postal address so I could have a copy of the codes so that if it was questioned, I was safe. I did not say why I wanted them, the Ag didn't ask but the court house did. When they asked, I just said I was doing an investigative report on Ag law for school...they do not need to know exactly why and they are more likely to be more forth coming with information if they have no personal attachment even though they are supposed to freely give to public when asked for it.

You are either zoned agricultural or your not. You could not change this unless you can hire legal help with the big big bucks. and then it may not work. in my county you must own 5 acres of land per horse or cow. I have my rabbits in a mini barn and no one knows but me. There won't be a problem with rabbits unless you have a mess of them, let them smell, so the neighbors know or are obvious about it. I saw a bunch of three tier cages in a garage driving though town awhile back, and I doubt to many people care. As long as your sane about numbers rabbits are nice and quite.

Call your local city office and ask about doing a "conditional use permit". In some areas you just have to put a sign up on your property for a set period of days and if not enough people contest it, they have a simple city hearing and either approve or disapprove your request.

Did a quick search. Inside the city limits, rabbits are considered pet animals and there are no special zoning requirements. However, you are limited to 10 adult rabbits.

Marinea":2i4ld7qk said:
Did a quick search. Inside the city limits, rabbits are considered pet animals and there are no special zoning requirements. However, you are limited to 10 adult rabbits.

I'm only at one right now though, and I'm not sure that where I am would be considered country or city. I really like this horse and really want to get this sorted, thanks for the help so far.

Latest posts

Back