Yucky bottem in 3 week old bunnys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
The first time i seen this was about 2 weeks ago. The litter was 3 weeks old moms second litter. Mom always gave me 5 babies and only raised 4 the 1st litter and 3 the second litter. Anyway the babies were very fat and healthy looking at 3 weeks i decided to dump them out of the nestbox and thats when i noticed 1 baby had a green yucky mess on its back end so i brought it in the house cleaned him up and put him in a box in the house by the am his back end was messy again and he was dead a bit latter that day. The other 2 lived and have since been weaned. The doe next to her had a litter that was a week old at the time the green poop and yucky bottom happened. Now this litter is 3 weeks old and 3 out of the 4 babies have this going on 1 baby died last night. I have quarantined mom and babies away from my other mom and babies. So what could it be? Ive read it could be E coli and cociddia I hope its nether. So far as i can see there poop is a light green and soft and the whole area between there legs is damp and greenesh yellow. My hubby said they stink i did not notice the smell. The first litter of 4 that the first mom weaned 2 of those have sneezey wet nose. I have since culled that mom and have know been thinking of culling the other moma and all 9 babies as im worried it is coccidia.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Let me start off by saying I do not know what is causing it. E-coli and coccidiosis are both possibilities. Whatever it is would seem to be infectious... since it showed up first in one cage and then in the one next to it.

The first step is always isolation and putting strict protocols in place so you do not carry the contagion from one cage to another. You need to consider whether to euthanize all the rabbits that have been exposed or whether to try to contain the problem and await developments. Whatever you decide, every bit of equipment needs to be thoroughly disinfected before returning it to the main rabbitry. If you can put it outdoors in a sunshine for a week or so after disinfection, so much the better.

I hope someone with more experience of rabbit illnesses will be able to give you suggestions. I've lost a couple of rabbits over the years suddenly and without warning or symptoms, but I have almost no experience treating rabbit illnesses.

Thanks Maggie i went and talked to my rabbit friend and she told me to get antibiotics in the mommy. So Im trying that to see if i see a change. She thinks its an in balance in the food setting of a tummy problem.

when I started in bunnies I had a couple litters get that. I tracked it down to the bedding I used. I was experimenting with what bedding to use in nestboxes, and on theirs I used sawdust into the nestboxes and some kits nibbled on the bedding. Took away the sawdust, ended that problem.

First question:
What are you feeding? Tell me everything that the rabbits are getting including all treats.
{Sawdust is a BIG NO NO! They can breath it in and clog their lungs.
Shavings are a better choice.]
Veggies are usually the culprit when it comes to loose stools.
STOP all treats, [Veggies and or fruits]
Stop the pelleted feed if you are using it and I hope you are.
Feed only Grass-hay and rolled oats. This is fiber and will help to
more quickly correct the balance in the digestive tract/colon.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

There on a hay bedding same as all my other bunnys. Mom is getting pelleted food still but im not feeding the babies. I guess they could be going to the feeder though ive never seen them. Ill stop feeding her just to be sure. I feed H&S feed 17% and horse hay no veggies or greens right know due to it being winter. I put the babies in a metal nest box with a cardboard bottom and grass hay filling. I cant remember will pumpkin seeds help i got those will they be safe for the babies.Ive been sprinkling a little teramicin on the cardboard and they have been licking it. And ive noticed 1 of the 2 sick ones looks a bit better today. As this is the 3rd day with a runny stool.

The problem may be caused by them ingesting some or much of the soiled hay.
This is the reason that it is not advisable to toss hay onto the cage floor for rabbits to eat.
They would be better served to have the hay fed in a hay-rack.
This keeps the hay from becoming soiled with feces or urine.

I suspect an enteritis problem. It usually causes a problem from this age till about 7 weeks. My first thought would not be antibiotics. Antibiotics can cause enteritis, and it is not usually that useful in rabbits, unless they have an obvious (usually external) or respiratory infection. I think you will find it will seldom help with a digestive tract infection. If it is mucoid enteritis, the feces will usually be "jelly-like" in consistency. If it gets smeared around, though, it is hard to know. It is caused by naturally occurring microorganisms, but is usually not a problem unless the kits are exposed to stress (this most often occurs at early weaning, but can also be cause by dogs barking, heavy rodent activity, etc.) Feeding hay, and a good weaning procedure (remove the doe from the cage to wean, not the kits) will greatly limit this. If it is mucoid enteritis, you will usually lose all the kits within a few days.

Poisonous weeds in the hay can also cause diarrhea, if this might be a possibility, try to provide hay that is all grass. Another possibility is some kind of chemicals (including some medications)and such things as "treated" or *red-cedar wood shavings, disinfectants, etc.

*I am not saying not to use wood shavings, but sometimes they can be a problem, just like hay can.

avdpas77 i thought that the enteritis started when they weaned. Your right it does start at 3 weeks. Problem is i dont now what could be stressing them. My kids do play around there barn. Since its in the backyard. But they have been doing it all summer know that winter is starting to get here there is less outside play time. I have not seen any mice or rats yet dont mean there not there. Feed and hay is the same kind ive feed all yr.
I did read an article that said when they get it at 3 weeks its due to moms milk stating to change to help them get there adult gut. I know cant find that page but if thats true then i believe i do have a form of enteritis on my hands.

It is no longer called Enteritis, it is known as Mucoid Enteropathy.
Have you got a copy of "Rabbit Production" [Eighth Edition]?
Everything you need to know about the problem and treatment is found in that book.
It is a bit lengthy but I can post it to you in private email if needed.

ottersatin":1lz0n5pi said:
It is no longer called Enteritis, it is known as Mucoid Enteropathy.
Have you got a copy of "Rabbit Production" [Eighth Edition]?
Everything you need to know about the problem and treatment is found in that book.
It is a bit lengthy but I can post it to you in private email if needed.

Enteritis is "any inflammation of the intestine, usually characterized by diarrhea" It is the term of choice when cause is unknown.

Symptoms of Mucoid Enteritis (from the web)

"Often the first visible signs will be mucous and feces packed near the rabbit’s bottom. The rabbit’s droppings will be covered with a clear jelly like mucous. As the digestive system of the rabbit discontinues its work, the rabbit will quit eating, will become dehydrated, and bloated."

The term "mucoid enteritis" is perfectly acceptable and is used interchangeably with the term "mucoid enteropathy". It is the generic term for the disease in any animal. That the latter term has recently become "in vogue" with rabbit breeders, does not make it more correct.

Thanks Ottersatin my friend has that book and ive been needing to get over there and borrow it. Guess ill head over today to get it. I did a quick check this am and there all 3 alive still. Yesterday 1 of the sick ones looked better and the other looked the same. I have not seen them drinking much which is one of the signs.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 am __________<br /><br />UPDATE: Only 2 lived last time.
And know her newest litter which is 2 weeks old has it. Only 3 out of 9. So im pushing antibiotics again seamed to be the one thing that helped last time. Wounder if this doe will always give me this problem. This is her 3rd litter with me. Her first litter did great. Got 2 5 months old does from that litter. Right know im thinking of culling her from the herd i hate to as she is a good doe and her babies are the friendly ones in the barn. The other option to give her a full resting period and breed her when her babys are weaned at 4 to 5 weeks. I wounder if i could retain a doe out of these batch and they would have developed a immunity to it. ERR i just dont know what to do.

i'd get rid of the doe. Seems that while she may be healthy, the kits that she throws have digestive issues. And breeding for health should always be a goal of a rabbit breeder.

i just had a thought her first litter was by a different buck these last 2 were by the same buck. Could it have been the bucks fault? I had a doe that always threw small litters i lost most of her last litter to the same problem she was also bred to the same buck. Though i had about 7 other does bred by him and not 1 problem. could he be the problem. Or maybe his genetics and some of the does genetics mix and create a weak offspring.

I'd try her with the original buck or a totally different one. If the problem happens again, you'll know for sure and will feel more comfortable about culling the doe.

Are you feeding plenty of grass hay to the youngsters? This is the single most important thing you can do to prevent these problems during the weaning period.

yup, could be that the new buck her genetics don't mix well. Test breed to find out.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 am __________<br /><br />yup, could be that the new buck her genetics don't mix well. Test breed to find out.

Dont want to hijack the tread, but what do you guys use for disinfection?

i put hay in there nest box ever 2 to 3 day or whenever its looks like most of it gone. And they get hay tell there about 5 to 6 weeks old.

Tink-Tink Rabbitry":1da3fikx said:
I see this post is old, just courious if you figured out what was going on? I am having the same exact problem and can't figure out what it is.
This is another thread, that might help, decide if you do, or do not have the same problem.
wet-bum-t9717.html

Back