Yet another red Satin question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
I have red Satins and it can be tricky finding more around here...plus, I am working on developing a pedigree with what I have (not much :x ).

I found a lovely black doe who has added diversity and quality to what I have. The resulting color of the kits was red and copper (chestnut). The quality of the Copper seems to be quite lovely but I am going to a rabbit show this weekend and will get some expert opinions.

Ideally I would like to find two good quality bucks, Copper and Red but instead I have secured a lovely young blue buck. I know that bred to the black I will likely get more Blacks and possibly Blues.

Now here is the $10,000 question. When bred to the reds I am guessing the blue will give me Copper and red, but what quality? Is there something in the blue genotype that will work against the clear bright intense red coloring I have?

Well, Rufus is very undesirable in blues so it could have been actively selected against, especially if there are a lot of blues or lilacs in the pedigree, and you might end up with muddy coppers and paler reds

I cannot recall if red Satins have the wideband gene but if so then it is unlikely the blue would carry this modifier and I am quite surprised your black gave you reds :shock: instead of fawn (red with a white belly instead of coloured )

Thank you, Dood. You always come through for me. There is only so much those rabbit color calculators can do.

Yes, I got brilliant reds and what I think is one very nice Copper. I will be bringing them to a show this weekend and hopefully the judges will not shatter my assumptions!

Could it be that the black doe is not really black but another color? She is broken so perhaps I am not seeing the true picture. I will have to look at her pedigree but from what I recall it contains a mixed bag of color.

And now I need to check my belly colors. It is entirely possible they they are indeed white!

The wideband hides in self and full extension so I don't doubt he is a black :) but because if hides you cannot tell if they have the recessive gene and can only see it in easily in agouti and non extension colours

If there are reds in his pedigree then it makes sense her would have picked it up but if not it is a happy coincidence :)

I checked the bellies of the reds and they are an orangy hue. Definitely not white! I need to dig up that pedigree. I will let you know what the judges say. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:00 am __________ <br /><br />
Dood":nbxfrro9 said:
... if they have the recessive gene and can only see it in easily in agouti and non extension colours...

Well, one of the kits is a Copper. If I take a 'ring picture' of her fur would it give more clues?

Back