YAY! Found 14g wire at TSC!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14g for floors, 16g for sides is the way, unless you are raising small breeds. Remember, the bigger the number, the thinner the wire.

Finding 14ga 1x2 or 1x1 is not the tricky part. Finding 14ga 1x1/2 is the holy grail of wire shopping. Lowe's was caring it and then stopped and went to 16ga. :evil: :evil: SO I reinforced the floors with PVC pipe. Will have to order online when it's time to replace floors. Maybe by then they will start carrying it again. :twisted: If my e-mails have had any affect. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

The stock panels are a great idea Grumpy. I just so happen to have a couple leaning up behind the barn. Gonna get to chopping. GAW 14ga 1x1/2 is so hard to find.

grumpy":12hziswz said:
Cathy,

About 2/3's of the way through this post:
tear-down-pic-heavy-long-post-t19925.html

You'll see where I've used old corral panels for floor supports.
They work great and support the floor pretty darned good.

Grumpy
I had missed that post. Very nice! My first thought was that foot fur or testicles could get caught, but you pointed out that it lines up perfectly with the floor wire. Shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to remember this, because I recently caught myself having to buy some 16g floor wire at Ace (after I had sworn I never would again), and it's really saggy stuff. I was putting it in a kennel that has a grid like that cattle panel, though, so it should be okay. The wire doesn't line up as well, so I'll have to try to keep only females in it.

Miss M:

When I first thought of the idea, it was with the thought of using a single
run of rod. I rigged 3 or 4 cage floors that way to begin with.

I was fiddlin' around with an extra piece and discovered they line up just
fine with the floor wires. :p They do pretty darned good..!!

The corral panels are a mild carbon steel, just like the floor supports from
rabbit supply houses. And they're a whole bunch cheaper.

A poor man's got poor ways.

I lucked into a bunch (7) of 6 foot long cages that were 3 holers'. All were
24" deep by 24 wide for $5.00 a hole. The sides and top were rough,
but the bottom's were 14 gauge GAW. It looked nearly new compared to
the rest of the cage.

grumpy.

grumpy":j563gi5b said:
Cathy,

About 2/3's of the way through this post:
tear-down-pic-heavy-long-post-t19925.html

You'll see where I've used old corral panels for floor supports.
They work great and support the floor pretty darned good.

Grumpy
Thanks for the heads up. We looked through all the out buildings and couldn't find anything that would have done the trick. So the pvc was cheaper than the metal tubing, also it won't rust :p The supports are also removable for easy cleaning. They seem to need cleaning quite often too :x

I love freecycling. :lol: :lol:

grumpy":g4nyxzyn said:
Miss M:

When I first thought of the idea, it was with the thought of using a single
run of rod. I rigged 3 or 4 cage floors that way to begin with.

I was fiddlin' around with an extra piece and discovered they line up just
fine with the floor wires. :p They do pretty darned good..!!

The corral panels are a mild carbon steel, just like the floor supports from
rabbit supply houses. And they're a whole bunch cheaper.

A poor man's got poor ways.

I lucked into a bunch (7) of 6 foot long cages that were 3 holers'. All were
24" deep by 24 wide for $5.00 a hole. The sides and top were rough,
but the bottom's were 14 gauge GAW. It looked nearly new compared to
the rest of the cage.

grumpy.
Woooooooooow... Nobody sells used cages around here. Nobody! :weep:

funnies50":1p3ef65r said:
I wish I could make my own. I guess you could get 'em at Petco but the big ones are only, like, $600 dollars. :rant:
It would be a lot cheaper to get a couple of cages from Bass Equipment (one regular and one with a tray, maybe), a pair of wire cutters, and a pair of J-clip pliers. You could make a single BIG 2-floor cage out of it (cutting a hole in one floor, obviously) and probably not spend more than $100.

That may still be beyond your budget, but maybe you could save up for it. :)

EnglishSpot":2ckcn6k0 said:
Does anyone know how to install the floor supports that Bass sells?
I can't find it on their site (not exactly the user-friendliest site), but if it is like the "floor spreader" that Klubertanz sells, I can tell you how to install.

It should be U-shaped, with a tab on each end. You place with the U facing down, below the center of the cage. Bend the each tab up and around the intersection of the floor and side. I used J-clip pliers to finish bending it down to meet the floor wire. If you need a picture, I can take one. :)

Latest posts

Back