WV Bill 371 Exotic Ban and Bill 428

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
WV is trying to ban all exotics. It is an open ended list. Includes many many common species that wouldn't survive outside a home. Bill can be looked up on WV legislative site, they are on the agenda. Will ban from snakes, geckos, other lizards, some tropical fish, hedge hogs, pot bellies, alpacas, hermit crabs, ferrets, snakes, skunks, and tons more! I can see how EASY it would be for them to add rabbits to the list and even horses and such since not seen in the average vet practice (along with some others like chickens, or go so far as to say any non native WV species, which would mean all domestics pretty much, if it did pass). Its an open ended listing at this time, there's a "group" that's supposed to be made and govern what goes on once the bill goes into effect. They tried to do the same thing a year or two before, now trying again with changing the wording a tad. I've not seen this on the news or posted in any shops I've been to, but did check it out and it is definitely up. They think its going to help keep WV wild life and people safe, its not. If it passes, the animals that are not given a license/permit for will be taken and put down (the person confiscating can do on the spot :angry: ) or maybe find a zoo/sanctuary for them to go to. Any one that has a minute would appreciate a call to them explaining how much this could cause problems, even if out of state it will cause problems trying to pass through or for those that do business, of course take a look more into the bills for yourself. It can probably be expected that similar bills will start popping up other places, I know they have to a point but it seems like the persons anti-ownership are being a bit more pushy than the last couple years.

Links to 321:

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_ ... 20intr.htm

428: I have not been able to find it online, but when I called and asked was told was a copy like bill. Basically its the same thing, a "no wild" animals bill in case the other fails.

Attachments

• 47652_651570581569022_1665939316_n.jpg
    47652_651570581569022_1665939316_n.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 357
That's just...awful. amazing. stupid. I looked up "alpaca West Virginia" and, on the *first* page of results, got 9 (yes, NINE) different alpaca farms in WV. I don't have the time right this minute to look for the prof. organization for alpaca farmers/ranchers in WV to see whether these bills are on their radar, but My God.

I'd be willing to bet no. Sadly most people I've just mentioned it to do not even know they've tried once, let alone this time. I'm repeatedly asked if it is a joke, keep telling them no that it is not and if still don't believe then call and ask the capital. I'm afraid this time they will get one of them through and that will mean the end of many animals for no real good reason.

Wow, that is nuts!
Where are all those animals going to go if that bill gets passed?
What I want to know is WHY someone would want a bill like that? Who is behind it?
A lot of those are pretty common household pets, and they are certainly not dangerous.

I used to think it was not such a bad thing that certain States/towns had bans on dangerous dog breeds like pitbulls.
But know I am against it, not because I like pitbulls, but just because if the Government can take one animal away, they can take any animal away.

There is a nationwide farm bill right now that would make it illegal to raise several rare heritage breeds of pigs.
Just crazy. This is America, and we have rights!!

I'll pray that bill does not get passed. Can't imagine how heart-breaking that would be for all the children that would have to give up their pets.

KKRabbitry":2rwuo08s said:
I used to think it was not such a bad thing that certain States/towns had bans on dangerous dog breeds like pitbulls.
But know I am against it, not because I like pitbulls, but just because if the Government can take one animal away, they can take any animal away.

This is the underlying reason to oppose any and all breed-specific legislation with regard to dogs, in addition to the fact that identifying a dog as a specific breed is NOT an exact science.

But yes: if the gov't, at whatever level, is empowered to take *one* animal, what's to prevent it taking others???

It's cliche but, really? What's next forcing us to buy broccoli, even if we hate it or are allergic to it? I fight any bills like that around here, too broad and, what right does the government NEED to say what we have in our homes as long as it stays on our property? Now if it causes damage or harm off our property then, that individual case can be dealt with w/o punishing those that have such things but have never been a problem or done anything wrong.

I agree open ended is bad. Horses, dogs, cats, pet rodents, rabbits included, could be added. I mean not many of us raise native wild rabbits so, any of ours might get added. If out of state opposition means anything, you have mine.

Back