wrong nail color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have never experienced wrong nail color before, I know it's a DQ. I raise and show Hollands. The doe I bought from a good friend a solid blue doe with zero stray white hairs, is a brood doe and has some really nice physical qualities I could really use in my herd. Thankfully I didn't pay much for her and I'm pretty attached to her, she's very very sweet. Anyways, I'm greatly concerned about the nails, I've read it's a common problem amongst blue. So my question is, I'm not one to breed an animal with a DQ but is it proven genetic? I planned on breeding her to a broken tort buck who is not a dilute carrier. I could however, breed her to a solid tort most likely not a dilute carrier if that is better or would breeding her bite me in the butt in future generations? I wouldn't ever breed any kits back to her and it would be several generations before I get dilute back (a lot of my hollands don't carry dilute). What are your thoughts What would you do?

Back