Wow! Baby boom!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
Update on my mastitis MR doe: she is not doing well! The 2 wk old kits are getting by on the KMR, being fed and stimulated to potty 2ce a day. 7 out of 8 are alive. My sister has done a superb job at taking care of them while I was away all weekend. Now I have to take over (yikes)...
So I get a text message while I'm up north "your bunnies popped".... "you have 45 newborns from the 5 does." I was like "wow, I can't wait to get home!"
So 45 + the 7 that I'm hand raising + 2 weaned kits..... I think I have some cage building to do (but of course I saw that coming, I'm just looking at different cage setups and determining which to build).... Yay! Spring is here... :D

Wow! That IS a population explosion! Congratulations!

:wbounce: :wbounce:

My hat's off to your sister who has obviously done a stellar job with those kits! Be sure to tell her that I am very impressed. It's not easy walking into a situation like that and taking charge.

Sorry to hear that your doe is not doing well. :(

Thank you. I will tell her! I plan on making her a cute little card and paying her for her troubles. Or she can keep one of the kits ( if they make it on KMR)...not sure yet. I am the rabbit breeder, yet she was teaching ME last night at like midnight (as soon as I got back), how she has been doing it and how they prefer not to have the nipple right in their mouth, but rather just on their lips while I squeeze the kitten bottle. Haha... Then I stimulate them with a q-tip then place them on a paper towel to pee, then back in the nestbox they go. People are naming them already. I say whoa, don't get attached. Too late ;)

__________ Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:42 pm __________

any ideas on when to introduce rolled oats mixed with milk? I know they are not ready yet, but maybe in a week? I want them on solids and water asap.

Once their eyes are open and they are fairly mobile, it is natural for them to start nibbling at solid foods. Kitchen rolled oats make a good first food, either dry or moistened with KMR or goats milk or even water. You must make sure that you don't leave moistened oatmeal in with them too long or it will sour. I use a plastic jar lid as a dish... nice and low for them to find the food and it only holds a small quantity. The main reason for making the oatmeal into mush is to make sure they do not get dehydrated if they are weaned but not yet drinking water. They should have water available once they are mobile and access to grass hay too if at all possible. If they have what they need before they need it, they discover the food and water at their own pace, which is generally a good thing. :)

Back