Would you get Florida Whites if you had a chance?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have a chance at getting two FW does at a really good price but am not sure if they would be worth having, esp. as I already have LOTS of NZs.

What would you guys do?

I would get them! :D I came across a 2 year old purebred pedigreed pair for free from a girl leaving to go to college and so far I love them though I don't have growout weights etc. to persuade you. They are pretty uncommon everywhere I have lived but I think there are some areas they are common. :popcorn: :bunnyhop:

I had six, from those six I got ONE litter that survived to butcher in a year and a half. I culled them all this year.
I'm quite sure my experience is not typical of the breed but they won't be returning to my barn.

To each their own!
One Man's Rose is another Man's Daisy.
I have heard both pros and cons on the
attitudes of the breed. Give the chance and space
I would not hesitate to have a group of them in
my keeping.
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

3mina":3f91ekrc said:
I had six, from those six I got ONE litter that survived to butcher in a year and a half. I culled them all this year.
I'm quite sure my experience is not typical of the breed but they won't be returning to my barn.
I wonder if your stock was from a University Lab, they don't exactly breed for production qualities ;)

I'd try them if I could, I've always heard good things about them. About a year ago I ran into a friend who said they had some so I was hoping to get a pair and asked about their weight.....10 pounds....wups! Didn't get any. LOL

I would have a look at them and decide on viewing. Just be honest with the person that you need to view them first before commiting to buy.

Dood":2eai28ge said:
3mina":2eai28ge said:
I wonder if your stock was from a University Lab, they don't exactly breed for production qualities ;)

Nope. One trio from a very good local breeder, the other from another local breeder. I think it was mostly bad timing and feed problems. By the time one trio was old enough to breed it was dark here and this spring we had loads of problems with our feed consistency making for lots of fun getting rabbits bred. We had a ton of misses in March and April

Zass, I like small rabbits for meat, especially if you aren't feeding a crowd. At the moment I'm processing at 3-4 lbs because that's the perfect carcass size for my dogs.

JDWest":y59f44jv said:
I would have a look at them and decide on viewing. Just be honest with the person that you need to view them first before commiting to buy.

I have seen them both and they looked really nice.

I resisted them as I was already buying four NZ does at the time, as well as all the cages and feeders but have been kicking myself since. Only problem is they are both does so I would have to find a buck and I am now gun shy on bringing in new rabbits. This place hasn't brought in any new rabbits to their herd for over two years so I wasn't too worried but, to find a buck, its a bit more fraught.

Have e-mailed to see if they still have them. :oops: I use to think I could stop anytime but rabbitosis is such a powerful ailment that I am loosing the will to fight anymore.

i live near Knoxville tn.

who near hear has Florida Whites in this end of state (for sale)

for first meat rabbit

Gbov have ya heard back about them?
I have a florida white buck i am probably selling if things go as planned and i get a pedigree SF buck *squeee!*
If you dont mind workin out a transport for him i wouldnt mind workin with ya. Heck anymore i either eat it or bury it for any culls. Just cant sell a thing lately.
He isnt pedigree but he is nice shape and super sweet and only 9 months old. His first litter is due today :D with my first time momma gold tipd steel 3/4nz 1/4 fg. He also hopefully got my nz red doe who is the stingiest doe ever lol. She lifts as well as a block of cement under a house!

ohiogoatgirl":1ikzfmag said:
I have a florida white buck i am probably selling if things go as planned and i get a pedigree SF buck *squeee!*
If you dont mind workin out a transport for him i wouldnt mind workin with ya. Heck anymore i either eat it or bury it for any culls. Just cant sell a thing lately.
He isnt pedigree but he is nice shape and super sweet and only 9 months old. His first litter is due today :D with my first time momma gold tipd steel 3/4nz 1/4 fg. He also hopefully got my nz red doe who is the stingiest doe ever lol. She lifts as well as a block of cement under a house!

What a wonderful way to put it! :lol:

I have been in touch with them. The does had had their kits so they asked me if I could wait till January so the kits could be weaned off them.

Not a problem with waiting so they will be a nice addition to the place in a few weeks time.

So far the NZ does I have bought bred have given me five litters so far and they have only been with me for less than two months.

Something must be catching from them too, one of my junior does actually LIFTED this week! It was sooooooo funny, her head said NO WAY but her tail lifted all on its own! Her face was a study in "HEY! WHAT????"<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am __________<br /><br />Duh, forgot to say thank you very much :D for the offer of your buck but as the trio comes with one, I shall have to pass for now.

I do not have cage and am just think and look rabbit under two hour away

ohiogoatgirl":y858oj7b said:

I've got them and I love them!

Only problem is I don't have enough cages, LOL! I haven't actually butchered any of them yet it seems like between them and the chickens something always comes up and it doesn't get done.

I listed some for sale on CL.

Here are pictures, finally. Took me a long time to get a camera.

This was taken a month ago and just as I was getting ready to snap the picture, somebody in the neighborhood shot a gun and scared mama. They are @ 3 months now and I've got them separated so that I don't get any accidentals.

I've got 3 jr. does, 2 jr. bucks and a couple of older ones that can go if you are in the Orlando area.

Attachments

• FLWhite.jpg
    FLWhite.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 117

Latest posts

Back