Wording when Advertising...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I am working on altering my header for Facebook/ webpage to reflect what we are selling after a couple changes :mrgreen:
but how to word it so as to be clear but not draw fire?!

I want the header to reflect:
Standard Rex, Holland Lops and {Meat Mutts}
but how to say meat mutts?

Commercial Crosses?
Commercial stock?

Add to that we will be selling processed meat. (getting it done at butcher so is legal in Ontario)
Would I be better just to not mention the meat and advertise it alone?
I'd really rather provide live rabbits for breeding for meat or people to process themselves.
so I do want to make it known that we have stock for breeding.

Standard Rex & Holland Lops
Stock for Home Processors

What about when you advertise on CL (kijiji here)~ I saw someone use the header 'cuddly OR nutritious' :lol:

Help!

I was checking out a FB link from a semi-local CL ad and she separated out her pets and meat rabbits and periodically had links to the other page on each site for those that might be interested.

:yeahthat:

I'd also make sure you have a separate email or contact info for the pet rabbits as well.

I've had a person put a deposit down on a 5 week old Mini Lop but later they Googled my email and sent me hate mail when they discovered I also sell rabbit meat :groooan: and of course they didn't want to buy the Mini Lop from me.

Hmm. OK
Maybe for now I'll just drop the Lops from our established page and my daughter can have her own page, with a related name etc.

I'm still stumped on how to say that I have meat mutts for sale... <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:54 pm __________ <br /><br /> How about "Mixed Commercial Breeds for the Farm & Table"

TF3":19y1nr8t said:
I'm still stumped on how to say that I have meat mutts for sale...

Mixed breed meat stock ?? Your right, there should to be a better way to say that. Hmm..
I'd really rather provide live rabbits for breeding for meat or people to process themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find too many people willing to buy the rabbits and dispatch and process them themselves.

If you want a good reputation for selling meat stock, you will need to get very good at culling your herd. I strongly recommend not to cull by selling inferior animals, as that will damage your reputation with those who would breed for meat.

(correcting typos..)

Zass":3nx0qtvp said:
TF3":3nx0qtvp said:
I'm still stumped on how to say that I have meat mutts for sale...

Mixed breed meat stock ?? Your right, there should to be a batter way to say it. Hmm..

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find too many people willing to buy the rabbits and dispatch and process them themselves.

I think I'll try "Mixed Commercial Breeds for the Farm and Table"
I've taken the Lops out of the info at all, so it is more farm geared.
I'm sure your right about processing... I know people are selling for meat, and home processed is illegal... so either they are doing it under the table (likely) or there are people who do their own... of course no one will tell :lol:

Edited to Add: YES, I need to get up to speed... taking steps and aware that it will be a while! I am moving on all three of the mutt does I have now in favour of what is best from their litters and my bucks, the rest are going in the freezer so we can try our first time with the butcher. I am working up the nerve to do my own processing for ourselves. I am hoping that by spring I will have some reliable stock to improve on next year. I'm charting everything and testing my bucks to see who gets to stay for the winter. In the meantime we eat rabbit LOL

On Kijiji... list your meat rabbits in the LIVESTOCK section.

Your holland lops go in the "other pets" category.

Be honest, tell what you are selling clearly as possible.

My ads run like this

(X pet breed) looking for their own homes.
These ____ are all MALE bunnies (yes... put the gender in LARGE letters... seriously or people will say.. are they girls???) And YES I put in two ads.. one with girls, one with boys.. it saves on "I can't read well" people and responses.

i give a brief description of what a holland lop is (or a polish).

I give the colours in order of individual pictures. I have a group picture to start, then individual pictures after). I am thinking of changing this to taking the couple minutes to post sex and colour on the picture itself. Picmonkey is SO easy for this.

State fee and what that includes (transition feed, rabbit care sheet and long term breeder support).

I list if I can deliver or not (with a please contact for details)... I DO charge delivery.
and that pick up on site is welcome (if not list places where you can meet) and stress at a mutually convenient time.

Be specific. be aware there is a LOT of stupid out there and let the silliness/stupidity roll off your back.

Correct people when they say they want to adopt one of your rabbits. LANGUAGE matters. You are SELLING a rabbit, not adopting it out unless you do rescue and give them away. Charging a fee for adoption just seems wrong. one sells or one gives away to an adoptive home.

As always JMO and I hope it helps. :)

--- should add. if selling any standard rex for pets be really clear when you post them in the "other pets" category that these are large breed rabbits... otherwise they'll get dumped or set loose when they get too big.

Beautiful!

Yes, the stupid is strong... I sell online and oh my!
I'll be back to this post when we have pets to sell :)

Back