WOOT! feed store order for me!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
alrighty so i finally was back in town to get some feed and i remembered to ask about things i might be able to get. so i asked if he got wheat in because i hadnt ever seen it. he said no and somethin else you never see anymore is barley. (i had forgot about barley :roll: oops). so he calls up the place he gets his feed from and asks about wheat and barley. so here is what i now know i can get:

oats- 12.25
wheat- 13.25
steam rolled barley- 14.92

all 50# bags. and just to toss things around, the rabbit feed (only one brand) he gets in is 8.90 for a 15# bag and 14.40 for a 50# bag. and my goat feed is 13.28 per 50# bag.

next time i'm gonna ask about alfalfa pellets. just to see price because i know when i was at TSC i seen em in a 50# bag for like $28! :| :shock: and i wanna ask about bags of BOSS. so i'll have to see what price i can get with him.

i had him order for me a bag of each. so i'll have to see how the buns like the wheat and barley. i know some of them dont eat hardly any oats and some gobble down oats and rabbit pellets.

guess i'm off to see the feed mix recipes again :popcorn:

I would like to learn more about the ingredients you are using and the ratios. Mine love rolled oats and I add it to their feed along with some black sunflower seeds and Calf Manna for the does. If you have time please PM me and let me know what you do.

When I was using MSD's feed recipe MY Rabbits wasted too much. I wish they didn't as I thought they were in good condition and I liked the feel of mixing the grains. I know I'm a goof. I hope your rabbits eat up the mix. I might experiment with my growouts in a few months and switch half and see how it goes. I am able to buy direct from the feed company so cost is good.

Fogcity there is quite a few good recipes over in the natural feeding section. I add oats and boss to my pellets also.

I have rolled barley for the horses and water it down, it is like the rolled oatmeal people eat but lighter and easily blows away. I feed it in my colony to the weaned kits but it just gets lost out of my breeders J-feeders - when the rabbits breathe it flutters away to the floor :D

You can look up the nutritional value of each grain and figure out ratios for protein, fat and carbs but others on the forum have already done that and I am sure they would share their knowledge with you.

Good luck

Oats are a favorite here.I thought for sure they were wasting them, but I examined the hulls,and all I found were hulls. Seems like that takes a lot of work. Too bad oats cost more than pellets up here, so they only get them as a treat in the winter time.

thanks everyone. yes i'm hoping to test it out on them now and hopefully my cali litter will be growin up on it (they are only 5 days old lol) and they will eat everything. and i'll be keepin back two of them as breeders so should be able to work from their having them eating a mixed grain portion.

i'm not seeing anything of how much nutrients are in the grains... of course i'm not sure i'd understand it even if i found it! can anyone explain? links are great :)

Sounds about what I pay for grain, oats are a little cheaper and barley a little more expensive.

you should be able to get 40# of Boss at TSC for around $20. they run sales regularly, but much more pricey then it used to be but a bag will last ages due to the small amount you feed. Also regarding boss, I've heard it is a good thing to contact the company to check that the seeds aren't treated with an antisprout product.

very interesting. thank you dood.

curious from this readin that there isnt more wheat in the recipes?
like in trinity oak's mix its:
6 part oats
1 part barley
1 part wheat
1 part BOSS (cold weather only)

curious why it isnt more like 3 part oats, 3 part wheat, 2 part barley, 1 part BOSS in cold weather. since the wheat and barley has higher protein?

Might be due to limited availability and/or high cost. Also, some people consider wheat to be a "hot" grain, so it is possible people living in southern parts might want to limit the percentage.

BTW, save yourself some time and gas money and let your fingers do the walking. Phoning the feed stores in advance to get prices is always a good idea. :)

Back