Wool Weight - what is it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotzcatz

Reaction score
Aloha Rabbit Folks!

I've been putting pedigree information into the database and noticed there is a line called "wool weight" which is on the pedigree and has a place on the pedigree software which mentions the same thing, but what is it? How does one determine the wool weight? Is it an opinion or is there something we actually weigh at some point?

Inquiring minds want to know!

A hui hou,
Catz

For breeds like Angoras where wool is the most important aspect in the breed, the wool weight is how much wool they produce when you pluck/shave/clip them or whatever your method is for getting the wool off them. So when your done you just weight it and voila your wool weight.

Thanks, Devon! That sounds like a reasonable way to figure it out. This will be something filled in when the rabbit is about a year old, though. They also ask for the weight of the rabbit and if I'm selling them at eight weeks old, they aren't at their adult weight so I would just leave that line blank, too?

Just leave it blank, you only put down their mature weight (or the weight they were when they got registered)

What is a normal wool weight? I sheared the mom rabbit and ended up with 105 grams of wool. That's somewhere under four ounces, I think, but I left a lot of wool on the rabbit to keep her warm and she'd had a litter several weeks ago and pulled a lot of wool for that. She also hadn't quite grown out her full coat but she was beginning to shed so I just pre-empted the whole shedding and clipped her into a "puppy clip". What sort of wool weight numbers would a full coated English angora have?

Latest posts

Back