Wolfdog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMoods

Reaction score
Well, I finally got a pic of Nikkia (say Nick-EYE-ah) She is an 18 month old wolfdog I recently adopted. Eventually I'll breed her with my male wolfdog but, the people that had her didn't know what to feed her so, she has been eating regular dog food for a year and needs to gain some weight before she come in season this fall. (wolfdogs only have one heat per year.)

She made herself right at home here, after taking a walk to say hello to all of my other critters, she came in the house and promtly jumped on the bed, then decided she belonged at my feet, wherever that might be LOL.

image_page.php

I've been trying to track back down an akita x arctic wolf breeder I saw post listings several times in the past. If they are going to keep breeding I would like to be on the list for mid content wolfdog when we get a house. I know someone with a red akita male to breed to as well.

Wolf hybrids are dangerous to own- one MUST understand wolf AND dog behavior. They are NOT the same! Arctic wolves are a variant of the Grey Wolf, and are considered the least able to adapt well to a captive/domesticated life without a LOT of understanding. The issue of rabies and other vaccinations still is not clear in hybrids- in other words-- does the canine rabies vac work in wolves and coyotes? No one is 100% sure! Will the animal behave like a wolf or a dog? What stressors will trigger wolf, which ones will trigger dog? Our dogs descend from Asian Wolves, not the Eastern varieties-

I think all my experience with spitz breeds and for awhile taking other people's problem dogs to obedience classes prepares me pretty well for a wolfdog. I'm not looking at something to wander the farm, walking around off leash, enjoy sitting in the house, easily obey every command I make.... When we get some land we plan to thoroughly fence it with heavy duty 8' fencing, buried in concrete, and hot wire top and bottom for our dog yard which will be plenty spacious so they can stay out all they want. I do take my akita with me everywhere but I don't take her in everywhere. Despite much socialization and a canine good citizen award she can easily become nervous and at minimum have accidents in the pet store. I spent every waking moment from the time I got my akita puppy tied to her or playing/training with her. She knew dozens of commands by a year old. Now whether she'd always listen to them... We call it the akita stare. She averts eye contact and stays still as a statue waiting you out to not reinforce the command. When I started college we implemented crate training.

The shiba doesn't have the drive to protect so doesn't turn aggressive but she also isn't an easy to train house dog. She must be leashed or thoroughly fenced at all times. Supervised constantly to make sure she doesn't destroy something. No matter how many obedience or agility classes I take her to I know she is never going to be as good as every other dog there because she doesn't care what I think. They just don't care if I'm happy or not unless I'm making a threat to their health for a very wrong action that could have hurt someone or hold a carcass of something.

There are days I debate just getting an aussie shep because it was nice to have a dog who worked with me, learned tricks to please me, and followed me around without a leash. The wolf (forget which) x aussie sheps intrigued me as well but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having anything aussie shep bred. All those traits are likely lost or the wolfdog does not resemble a wolf enough for anyone to tell it from a dog mix aussie.

Have any of you read the daily coyote?
http://www.dailycoyote.net/
Someone took in a full coyote pup and has raised it in captivity for many years. She goes over some of the eccentricities of a wild canine and how she got around some things. She does mention she gives all her own shots and the coyote has never been a vet but she did train him to muzzle in case she does need to take him.

Thank you frosted, that is very good information for anyone considering a wolfdog as a companion animal. I can't call them pets, both of mine are mid to high content and, are both more wolf than dog. Halo (my avatar is him as a puppy) Malamute/Timber Wolf/Mexican Wolf and Nikkia is Siberian Husky/Timber Wolf. So yes all western on the wolf side and both dog sides that retain more of the "wild" nature than a lot of other breeds.

They are family members, companions, even friends but not pets. I don't own them as I would a poodle or collie or something. They are not guard animals, not prestige animals just to say I have a wolfdog. For me, being part Native American (Salish tribe), the wolf is part of my heritage, was an early companion to the tribe and, the modern wolfdogs are animals I have had around all of my life. My house would not be my home without them.

On top of that too many people get them for the wrong reasons and have no clue what to do when the wolf takes over the dog. They try to treat them like dogs and, when the animal won't behave or interact like a dog, they call it bad, punish it and/or get rid of it. They don't survive shelters, they are a breed that is immediately euthanized in shelters. Others are like Nikkia, raised to be an indoor animal, then becuase of a new pet or new baby, suddenly ostracized to an outdoor life with new owners.

In her case they had no clue how to feed or train her and gave her regular dog food (same stuff they give their small dogs) they told me she wasn't house trained, didn't walk on a leash, etc... She knows 15 commands, is house trained, heels perfectly on a leash, is crate trained. She was when I got her, just the people I got her from had no clue how to speak wolf.

Now she is enjoying her crate next to the bed as her den, she sleeps on the bed or, on her blanket in the living room. She's getting the high protein, grain and soy free kibble and raw meat and bone like she should. (sort of like rabbits with pellets and hay - kibble is pellets and meat and bone is hay to a wolfdog.)

The two biggest problems the unaware run into with them is that they are predators and, you will never tame their very strong, easily activated prey drive and, they are wary, timid animals toward strangers - it can take a wolfdog months to allow a new person to pet them and quit hiding or moving away when that person comes near them if the person doesn't know how to communicate with them.

Don't have easy internet access-- good to see you understand the issues with the hybridization of wolf x dog. My landlord put her 7/8 timber-wolf down a few months ago-- he finally "turned" when she had him in the house with 2 non-pack member humans-- He did a lot of damage to the house- and it took hours to contain him- he would not let the non-pack people out! One of her other dogs died in the fray, as well. Just having a GSD with a high prey drive is something I have to be wary of.. I don't think I would ever take on a hybrid. The rescues here won't even accept them-- I really wish states would require permits for them the way one needs for a "wild" animal.
I understand the Shiba AND Akita thing- most Basenjis are like that- aloof, their own boss, etc. I was fortunate with Breezy- And thanks to a member here, am still in contact with her breeder.
Yes, I noticed the thing about SARF-- Gunnys coat and overall condition is a LOT better when I include raw in his diet. I cannot afford a pure raw diet at this point- but holy cow, his whole demeanor changes- and his coat-- WOW!!!

Wolfdogs are each different and, a lot of that has to do with how much wolf and how much dog they actually are but, it's also early socialization and constant training. They are energetic, itllegent and, do actually grow up, unlike a dog that basically gets stuck as a young teenager for life and never metally matures any further, a wolfdog will mature mentally to an adult. Kids, puppies and other things that want to play are annoyances to an adult wolfdog and, unless it's the parent, it isn't going to take kindly to the antics of young children, cats, smaller dogs, etc....

They also have a very strong prey drive and, to them that means food and, thus survival (even if that is not realistic in the home, it is in the wolfdog's mind.) ANY prey animal, regardless of housing is a potential target and, left to it, a wolfdog will work until it finds a way to get to the prey, including chewing wire, digging, climbing and, jumping.

They are wary of strangers of any species, human or animal and, depending on how you and other family members interact with the stranger, they may see the stranger as in intruder trying to usurp their place in the family (pack). That's when you have problems with them.

Wolfdogs also do not do well left alone. (you go to town and leave the wolfdog in the house alone.) You will most likely come home to several things being chewed, clawed and otherwise destroyed, including the couch, doors, curtains or blinds, your clothing, the bath tub, toilet seat, carpet, etc.... and the canary will be gone save a few feathers, the cat either dead or hiding in the attic and, the house rabbit gone as well. That's simply what a wolfdog does and, is the wolfdog owner's definition of house broken that has nothing to do with house training the wolfdog to use the bathroom outdoors only. :) You can't leave then unsupervised unless you put them in a proper enclosure or crate.

They love interacting with their family, are social but, only on their terms, not yours. They are the pet you go for a five mile run with, not the one you play fetch or tug o' war with and, not the one your kids lay on the floor and wrestle with.

You do have to understand them and how to train and live with them but, if you take the time to educate yourself they can be wonderful family members and, a joy to have as friends. They read their owners well and, if you are down, they will do all they can think of to cheer you up. Mine will lick, cuddle, bring me their food, try to coax me outside to play, whine, "talk" to me, chase their tails, etc... in an effort to make me feel better and, it always works sooner or later. :)

Yes they do well on a RMB diet but, a high quality low or no grain or soy kibble is good too and, you need to feed a kibble regularly so that if they need to, they will willingly eat kibble. They also have about twice the PSI jaw power of even the strongest domestic dogs (pits, GSD, etc...) so you have to keep that in mind with toys and other objects meant for them. Cracking open raw cow leg (cannon) bones is no trouble for them, nor is shredding a bench made of 2x4 planks (yes my male did that when he was 6 months old. Left the bench in his enclosure and went to town - he shredded the bench. LOL )

Latest posts

Back