With A Heavy Heart...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
With a heavy heart, I return.

Early yesterday I took the broken babies out to handle and inspect them. The smallest baby, who I was calling Little Charlie, had escaped the cage and gone walk about. Took me a little while to find him, but when I did, I flipped his mumma to give him a quick meal. He seemed a little chilled, but well enough, relatively active. When I woke up this morning to get ready to go to a craft show, Little Charlie was laying on his side, on the bottom of the cage, thoroughly chilled and having trouble moving. I warmed him with my hands, and bundled him back into the cage under his siblings, and left. When I returned from the craft show, he had been shoved to the outside of the nest, and was cold and stiff.

Poor Little Charlie. A day shy of 2 weeks old, and the first loss here that wasn't a newborn(lost 2 on Lily's first litter).

57476_488374267863443_874767490_o.jpg

The only photo I have of him :(

Aww. :( Poor little guy.

I have heard that Charlies can sometimes have genetic weaknesses, but haven't seen it firsthand.

Sorry you lost him- it is always unexpected after the first few days to a week.

I don't think he was a true charlie... he did have an exclamation mark on his back. Looked just like his mumma. I think I'll bury him under the apple tree. I promised myself I wouldn't bury any babies that died, but he had his eyes open and wasn't just an alien baby anymore. After the ordeal with him going walk about, I got a little attached :(

Awwww {{{{{Bad Habit}}}}}!! I'm so sorry! It's always hard to lose one, but even more so after you've gotten attached to them.

I think part of the reason it sucks so much is that it was my first older kit loss. Even though he wasn't bred or born here, it's still hard :(

Bad Habit":1x7sk594 said:
I think part of the reason it sucks so much is that it was my first older kit loss. Even though he wasn't bred or born here, it's still hard :(

I understand that. A lot of kits dying and sadness. I was upset seeing a cat dying on the road from getting hit and could not help. I think that is the worst is if nobody helped. We need some happy thoughts. I was reading about rabbit diseases last night and thinking of what medication I should have on hand. Read about wry neck. I already have a sore neck and shoulders from planting garlic, so went to bed and had a dream I had wry neck. :x We need some happy stories. :dogkiss:

MaggieJ":3mqt97fz said:
but very glad to see you back with us again.

How could I stay away from you guys??

I buried Little Charlie. Let the dog sniff him and stay with me while I buried him. The dog was very confused... When I let him out to go pee later, he went to the little grave and started sniffing and whining :(

So sorry about Little Charlie! Looked like a little cutie, too. :(

Bad Habit":1utu1sl5 said:
The dog was very confused... When I let him out to go pee later, he went to the little grave and started sniffing and whining :(
Poor pup! :(

Im sorry, unfortunately its one of the bad things that come with rabbit breeding.

Back