Witch holland should I buy for show?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are very cute and i am sure they would all make good companions. But from a show perspective one must be a bit more critical and pictures are not the best way to judge a possible show rabbit. Without getting my hands on them it is difficult to say but here is my opinion:

If they are ready next week I assume they are 7 weeks in the picture and I would expect some sign that their ears are going to lop.

From the pictures I like the broken otters body and rounder head but her crown is suspicious and I don't think her ears will lop properly, or maybe not at all. I like her broken pattern, and she has a nice butterfly marking on her nose however I don't know if broken otter is showable colour in Hollands.

PS I think the blue is actually a chocolate but it could be a trick of the camera. I changed my mind, I think she is a blue.

given the appearance in the pics, ears lopping properly would be a concern. I'd want to see the parents and see how they lopped before committing to buy one for show.

The blue might be a blue OR it could turn into a chocolate (been there, had that, and her shading reminds me much of the one I had).

I would have to wonder if they are flat as well.

If you're wanting a show rabbit, I'd keep looking. They're cute, but my Holland ears are completely lopped by that age. I am afraid the bunnies in question are going to have "airplane" ears at best, unfortunately.

You don't want any of those. Those are some very poorly bred hollands or not hollands at all. Keep looking!<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:48 am __________<br /><br />
My%20Girl%20Babies_003.JPG

This photo comes rom Camelot Rabbitry Augusta,WV....Even though this baby isn't even probably more than 5-6 weeks old...check out those stumpy legs, that chunky head, those round cheeks, stellar promising crown.... This is what you should be looking for.

Cowgirl, can you go to a show? breeders often bring good young stock and it will give you a chance to look over some quality rabbits.

If you had shown me the pictures and said "what breed is this" I wouldn't have even guessed "Hollands." I would avoid them and get a show quality junior from an established breeder. Hollands are a popular and therefore competitive breed...those bunnies have serious ear/crown issues.

Ditto on what the others have said. I would also suggest instead of a junior get a senior or older junior...Holland Lops can change dramatically during their uglies. The perfect looking 8 week old can turn into some thing very very ugly show wise as an adult. Keep in mind as well that some lines can take a long time to fully mature, Holland Lops are not a quick maturing breed. The ones I work with take almost or right at 2 years to reach their full growth and development.

They are cute babies, and I'm sure your friends mean well but even I would pass on those for show. They look like great pets though! I really like the one on top.

I got the broken otter for $15.00. Her ears still have not lopped but my sister fell in love with her and wanted her so for $15.00 I said why not! It did turn out that she is only half holland half something else so that explainse alot of this.

Surprise surprise! I got the little broken otter and she won the class of 17 with an ARBA judge who has judged at nationals!

:congratulations:

can you post pic of her now! and then, I didn't read this thread then so didn't get to see her.

Yes, I'd like to see pics of her too! And actually Peach, otter is accepted in Holland Lops. :) I just bought a chocolate otter doe...she's gorgeous!

Witch Holland?
If I was buying a Witch Holland,
I would buy the one that is riding a Broomstick! :stirpot: :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

tailwagging":1udiw9rn said:
:congratulations:

can you post pic of her now! and then, I didn't read this thread then so didn't get to see her.

Before
391535_310202459112694_543191134_n.jpg
Now
733833_222741624544815_133543735_n.jpg
1157571_222741647878146_251579870_n.jpg

__________ Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am __________

sorry about the poor quality pictures<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 am __________<br /><br />Any name suggestions? I have a pumpkin, a Mishka, a rosey bumbble root (my sisters pick), and story, a zues, and a fred.

Attachments

• 533957_222741661211478_921540029_n.jpg
    533957_222741661211478_921540029_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 397
Glad it worked out for you. My hollands were butt ugly at 8 weeks and I did not have the patience to grow them out. Ears never lopped before 12 weeks, some not before 4 mos. I hear the ones I sold are doing well, better that someone had more patience than I.

She is a little narrow based in the ears so ill need to find a buck with some realy great ears. But I think she will make a grand little brood doe.

Latest posts

Back