Wire gauage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny,

I'm still in process of searching for a good cage wire, and all the stores in my town have stuff that I'm not 100% happy with. It's either too thin or the gaps are too big. So, researching online I managed to find this one site that sells wire meshes, and found one specifically made for animals (or so they claim).

Height: 60 cm (that exactly what I need, so I won't have any leftovers - no throwing money away)
Size: 13 x 24 mm (I would say pretty silimar to 1/2 x 1 inch that a lot of people use in US)
Gauge: 1.4 mm - This is my problem. Is it too thin? The cages will not be hanging, but will be stacked on a rack. Is it safe to use it or will it deform?

Thanks in advance,
-Marko

According to this website ( http://www.zygology.com/productcart/pc/ ... Chart.html ) 17 gauge is 1.4mm, ( 16 gauge wire is 1.6 mm wide and 14 gauge is 2mm).

I think that wire would be too weak to be stacked on top of each other and the walls would buckle. The floor will likey sag somewhat with anthing but a small breed of rabbit and as you've got meat bunnies I wouldn't chance it.

Thanks Dood.

Hmm... Seems we are still looking. As I am not gonna breed rabbits in the cages (they are planed as buck / weaned does cages), what dimensions floor wire am I looking for. I know people mostly use half by half inch or half by inch, but I found these (all in mm):

Dimesnions, diamere and height:
25.4 x 25.4 (1 x 1 in) 1.8 1000
25 x 25 (1 x 1 in) 1.7 1000
50.8 x 25.4 (2 x 1 in) 2 1220
50.8 x 50.8 (2 x 2 in) 2 1220

For me it would be really econimical getting these 1220 high, but I'm concerned about how healthy would it be for my buns' feet. Also, findnding this stuff is hard, people were pretty much shocked when my dad and I were visiting shops and asking for cage wire.

RustyPocket":12d3ik47 said:
what dimensions floor wire am I looking for. I know people mostly use half by half inch or half by inch

The 1" is too big for floor wire. Just yesterday I had a rabbit in a growout pen (4-5lb bunny) stick its hind foot through the side wire which is 1" x 2" and get stuck. I heard screaming and ran over, but before I could get the door open, he freed himself.

Some people have used wire shelving racks like this for floors:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-C ... /100114022

I've contacted every store or manufacturer that sells wire meshes and there is no way any sells the wire I could use. So, after the state of depression I had an eureka moment (maybe). Would it work if I, let's say, use 2 x 2 inch wire for the bottom (because of good gauge) and then put a smaller hole wire over it (so I reduce the size of gaps between wire). Would it work?

MamaSheepdog, I did try to find this kind of shelving things (even considered fridge shelves), but can't find any that would work out and ordering online would cost me a fortune.

This is what I do for my converted dog cages - but it is important the cages don't sag or the finer wire can cut into the rabbits fur I also provide a solid rest area so the rabbits can get off the wire if they want.

The wire on the dog cages I use is 5cm x 8cm rectangles that are 10 or possibly 8 guage and I over lay 1.5 cm sq hardware cloth that is rather fine wire - I think less than 18 :shrug:

The cages aren't hanging (sagging issue) but on a metal rack with beams also supporting the floor

Latest posts

Back