Wire flooring

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvabunny

Reaction score
I don't have the largest size rabbits, so this can't be affecting just me, but my brood does seem to "supersize" their poops while raising babies and NONE will fall thru the regular 1/2 x 1 wire that normally works. I am constantly scraping, cleaning, scrubbing after they've stood on it all day.

This is not sick poop, or unusual in any way and only happens while they are nursing. Ok, well, I've got one doe that never has poop fall thru. But generally, it goes thru just fine until they are nursing.

I can understand how it happens, since they are eating more, I just need to know what you guys do about it.

There are lots of breeds much larger. What do you use for flooring? Please keep in mind that I make my own cages and can change flooring, but need it to be wire - no bread trays, slats, homemade wood floors, etc.
I've considered the 1x1 wire, but I've not found a gauge I like, and it doesn't seem necessary when they aren't raising babies, plus it's not very sturdy. Any thoughts or am I just stuck scraping cages?

I had the same issue with my Dutch doe when she was nursing. I am guessing it's because of their increased food intake. Since I have removed the kits a few days ago, all is back to normal.

I don't know how to advise you, but I know I am not going to be making changes, tearing cages apart and such, for that.

I have seen it only a few times in my rabbitry. If it became that much of an issue, I might try to figure something out, but I have no idea. :(

I have used 3/4 x 3/4 mesh for the floors, but was not happy with the result, -- I got more sore feet, and an occaisional baby stuck in the wire if born on the wire.-[but the big issue was more sore feet]- I supose if I had used a wood perch in the cages back then it might have worked just fine.

I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue if my brood cages weren't made entirely of a heavy gauge 1/2 x 1 wire. Most cages you can just roll the poops to the front or back of the cage and toss them out. Since these are made entirely of floor wire, the poop just wont go thru at all, and I end up either smashing it to fall thru, or physically picking it up and disposing of it.
Disgusting, either way.

I've not found a 3/4 x 3/4 wire. Where did you find that?

I know what you mean. I just scooped some out of one my elops cages. Do you give yours calf manna or any other rich feed for milk? I wondered if that extra protein contributed to the larger poops.

No. Mine are all on Purina rabbit chow. They get occasional hay but no extras.
Curiously, my show rabbits get supplements, and I've never had this problem. Only with the nursing does.

How about giving the nursing does litter boxes? You could use them with or without some type of floor wire insert.

luvabunny":1lm00xap said:
I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue if my brood cages weren't made entirely of a heavy gauge 1/2 x 1 wire. Most cages you can just roll the poops to the front or back of the cage and toss them out. Since these are made entirely of floor wire, the poop just wont go thru at all, and I end up either smashing it to fall thru, or physically picking it up and disposing of it.
Disgusting, either way.

I've not found a 3/4 x 3/4 wire. Where did you find that?

That is entirely normal for a doe nursing a litter...I would not change my floor wire because of it. Rabbit poop is mostly grass, just wash your hands after or wear disposable gloves. I have one doe that has humongo-poops all the time...drives me insane but, it is what it is. :)

Latest posts

Back