Winter setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadoh89

Reaction score
Hi it's my first year with my rabbits. I live in the Midwest so it's pretty cold. I'm worried I have been ill prepared keeping the rabbits warm enough outside. They're in an enclosed pop-up shed. It was staying warm and toasty in there till we got hit with 30-40 mph wind speeds after snow fall. I lost a few young does and my heart is broken because I was very close to one of them. Anyone else dealing with below freezing Temps that can advise on winterizing my rabbits?

Keep the wind out, keep everything dry, and give extra bedding. If you are in wire bottom cages, you can put a box stuffed with hay in the cage. Or, put a temporary bottom over the wire and pile hay on that.

The cold itself isn't really the problem, especially if you can keep most of the wind out and keep the area dry.

Most people seem to be using tarps. Like @MnCanary said, you should give them a box with hay so they can jump into whenever they're cold

I save all my feed bags. They make good covers when you open the seams. I clip them to the cages using the metal binder clips from office supply. Since they're free, I don't mind if the rabbits chew the 'tarps' or spray them. I can modify the covering quickly and easily if the weather changes. Of course, my rabbitry looks like a homeless encampment but the rabbits are happy :)

-Liz

Back