winter blew in

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
Literally. It got cold last night! We got around 2″ of snow which isn’t much to speak of but the wind just howled all night. Charlie is on day 31 and had a nice nest built so she’s due any time. I checked the buns this morning, and it had snowed in the indoor colony. The wind gusted so hard it blew the snow through the cracks in the barn door and left a good dusting over most of the colony. Still no kits this morning and the dirtballs of the last litter hid in the nest box last night eating most of poor Charlie’s nice nest. So this morning I added a few more buckets and stuffed everything with fresh hay so they have more places to get out of the wind. Hopefully they’ll leave the main nest box for Charlie now since they have other places to hide. It’s supposed to warm back up in a few days so hopefully Charlie will get her nest fixed back up to keep the kits warm when she has them. If they make it the next couple of days they should be fine. And if nothing else, the buns were having fun exploring their new buckets.

20120113-110605.jpg

I love giving my animals new things- they truly do appreciate it.

It looks like you have snow covered brown bunnies, and only their warm ears and noses have melted!

She built a lovely nest with TONS of fur. She had 6 in the nest box, but by the time I found them 2 were at the front of the box and frozen stiff. The following morning another one was frozen stiff at the front of the nest. I'm not sure if the other buns had anything to do with it, or if they were drug to the front while nursing. Mama doe has been pretty well sitting on top of the nest box guarding it since she had them. I haven't been out to check this morning, but as of last night the remaining three were still tucked in tight. I can't blame the doe at all - she's a great mom, and is doing the best she can. I definitely plan to get a few more actual nest boxes built before another litter comes. Even so, that will be March at the earliest and the way the winter is going I don't expect it to be nearly so cold by then.

Latest posts

Back